Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Heidenau K60 or Mefo explorer

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
edteamslr

edteamslr

Heidenau K60 or Mefo explorer Empty
PostSubject: Heidenau K60 or Mefo explorer   Heidenau K60 or Mefo explorer EmptyTue Nov 16, 2010 9:16 am

Anyone tried these:

Mefo or Heidenau

I'm looking for a tyre that will do 8-10,000miles on a WR.
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Heidenau K60 or Mefo explorer   Heidenau K60 or Mefo explorer EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 6:21 am

I'd regularly get 8,000 on a Mefo Explorer on a DR650. Never tried them on the WR, but I wouldn't hesitate to. That is one tough tire. Keep in mind it can be a b**** to mount, so make sure you have a good set of tire irons and your technique down pat.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
edteamslr

edteamslr

PostSubject: Re: Heidenau K60 or Mefo explorer   Heidenau K60 or Mefo explorer EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 7:39 am

greer wrote:
I'd regularly get 8,000 on a Mefo Explorer on a DR650. Never tried them on the WR, but I wouldn't hesitate to. That is one tough tire. Keep in mind it can be a b**** to mount, so make sure you have a good set of tire irons and your technique down pat.

Sarah

Thanks - it's a similar size too. I managed to fit a cold Michelin Desert (rear admittedly) to a 140 rim with short tyre irons so hopefully I can manage a Mefo. Let's see how I get on Very happy
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Heidenau K60 or Mefo explorer   Heidenau K60 or Mefo explorer EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 8:41 am

Just a note--if you decide to run a set of the Explorers, you may want to mount the front backward. Most folks do, seems to wear/ride better that way. Lots of discussion on that over on Advrider if you want to search a little.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
edteamslr

edteamslr

PostSubject: Re: Heidenau K60 or Mefo explorer   Heidenau K60 or Mefo explorer EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 9:16 am

Good ADVice (get it?)
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: Heidenau K60 or Mefo explorer   Heidenau K60 or Mefo explorer EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 10:55 am

I'd like pictures (mounted) and a review/update here on the tires you chose please thumb
Back to top Go down
edteamslr

edteamslr

PostSubject: Central Asia review...   Heidenau K60 or Mefo explorer EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 9:23 am

I chose the K60 front 90/90 and 120/80 rear. I'll post a picture when I have a chance.

Currently in Kazakhstan and about 8,600miles into the journey. Both tyres are wearing well. I estimate that I have got many thousands of miles left in them but looking to change to the 90/90 and 130/80 Mitas E09F tyres (meant for big bikes but should last excellently out to Magadan).

Feel-wise the front is not a great offroad tyre. The back is great (considering how small a tyre the 120 is) but the front just doesn't feel that special. It's not bad but just not great.

Price was an amazing GBP89 for A PAIR from Poland (no shipping cost to the UK). I used WWW.OPONEO.COM

Possibly the best value to performance ratio of any tyre for the WR...
Back to top Go down
edteamslr

edteamslr

PostSubject: Re: Heidenau K60 or Mefo explorer   Heidenau K60 or Mefo explorer EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 9:25 am

greer wrote:
Just a note--if you decide to run a set of the Explorers, you may want to mount the front backward. Most folks do, seems to wear/ride better that way. Lots of discussion on that over on Advrider if you want to search a little.

Sarah

Yes, the K60 is basically the same tyre. Run the front backwards, wear is great and it DOES reduce the noise. Period.
Back to top Go down
edteamslr

edteamslr

PostSubject: Heidenau K60 UPDATE   Heidenau K60 or Mefo explorer EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 1:27 am

Thought you might like to see what Heidenau K60s look like on a WR250R. I have a giantloop with ortlieb bag on the rack and the luggage weight is less than 25kg fully packed.

This is the 90/90 front tyre after 9,900miles of tarmac across Europe, Iran and Central Asia..

Front K60 90-90-21 9900mi WR250R

This is the 120/90 front tyre after those same 9,900miles...

Rear K60 120-90-18 9900miles WR250R

Conclusions:

The front IS noisy and should be run backwards

They are cheap here in Europe (GBP87 for a SET)

They give great road holding and encourage good lean angles on my R

They lack the proper drive of a knobblie tyre offroad but maintain control offroad when laden

These tyres DO need to be balanced. They needed a fair bit of weight to balance.

They are a versatile choice for long journeys where it's mostly tarmac/piste with a little rough stuff.

Any questions?
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Heidenau K60 or Mefo explorer   Heidenau K60 or Mefo explorer EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 5:41 am

Man, what a test of a tire! Thanks for the pictures and hope you're having a blast on your tour.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
edteamslr

edteamslr

PostSubject: Re: Heidenau K60 or Mefo explorer   Heidenau K60 or Mefo explorer EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 5:57 am

greer wrote:
Man, what a test of a tire! Thanks for the pictures and hope you're having a blast on your tour.

Sarah

You're very welcome. It's completely understandable that a lot of the tyre testing on the forums focuses on the fun stuff but for those who are interested in tyres with ultimate wear for RTW's etc. I hope this helps them to choose something with more 'wear life' than just 'performance'.

I would say that there was still life in the front and definitely in the rear (although the wear marker shown looks pessimistic, the rest of the tyre had plenty of tread depth).

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heidenau K60 or Mefo explorer   Heidenau K60 or Mefo explorer Empty

Back to top Go down

Heidenau K60 or Mefo explorer
Page 1 of 1