Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Strange noise from top end of engine.

Go down 
+4
SheWolf
Bob
YZEtc
Sinfull
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Sinfull

Strange noise from top end of engine. Empty
PostSubject: Strange noise from top end of engine.   Strange noise from top end of engine. EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 9:14 am

Hey all,

I am pretty new to the Yamaha WR250R's well any bike actually.
My issue that I'm concerned with is a ringing\howling type noise the is being emmited from the top end of the engine. It seems to increase with engine RPM and is always there. The bike runs strong still and is not doing anything that seems out of the ordanary.

The mods I have are FMF exhaust system with power programmer and thats it. I have altered the setting on the programmer abit but the noise has been there since I brought the bike about 3 months ago @ the 800km on the clock. Just for reference the bike is an 08 and only done 1700Km. It has been service at 1100km by my local Yamaha dealer and also by myself at 1600Km both times using Yamalube oil. Also where I live the outside abiant temp usually sit around the 30-45 degree C mark.

I'll try take a small video of the bike idling and see if I can capture the noise.

thanks for any advice guys

Mat
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Strange noise from top end of engine.   Strange noise from top end of engine. EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 10:23 am

Does the bike have an alumnum skid plate?
These make the engine noticably noisier by amplifying normal noise/vibration.

The engine will make some normal noise, even though we're in 2010.
Have you asked any experienced motorcycle gurus that know modern bikes to have a listen?

From Australia?
You guys are about to start summer down there, correct?
Back to top Go down
Bob

PostSubject: Re: Strange noise from top end of engine.   Strange noise from top end of engine. EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 3:30 pm

It's the air box. Normal for this bike. Id open the intake anyway. Make it howl more.
Back to top Go down
Sinfull

PostSubject: Re: Strange noise from top end of engine.   Strange noise from top end of engine. EmptyTue Dec 07, 2010 6:04 am

YZEtc wrote:
Does the bike have an alumnum skid plate?
These make the engine noticably noisier by amplifying normal noise/vibration.

The engine will make some normal noise, even though we're in 2010.
Have you asked any experienced motorcycle gurus that know modern bikes to have a listen?

From Australia?
You guys are about to start summer down there, correct?

Where i live its basically is summer all year round. currently we are begining it with 40+ degree C days.
Yes I do have an alloy B&B Bash plate however noise was there before installation
I am going to take it to my Local dealer on the weekend if I get a chance and get them to see what they recon. I would of thought they would have picked it up during its 1st 1000km service

Bob wrote:
It's the air box. Normal for this bike. Id open the intake anyway. Make it howl more.

I am considering doing this, all in good time my friend.
Back to top Go down
Sinfull

PostSubject: Re: Strange noise from top end of engine.   Strange noise from top end of engine. EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 8:20 am

Ive taken a small videa of the noise I speak of, You can hear it best when I go around the left of the bike. Its a hollow scraping sort of noise. Let me know what you all think.

Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Strange noise from top end of engine.   Strange noise from top end of engine. EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 10:39 am

Hmmm...sounds kinda normal to me. I'll drag mine out later and fire it up and take a vid of it and see. I don't notice that kind of noise. Strange noise from top end of engine. 29721

trav72

PostSubject: Re: Strange noise from top end of engine.   Strange noise from top end of engine. EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 5:07 pm

Mine sounds the exact same. Don't worry about it and just ride it. thumb
Back to top Go down
aaronhall555

aaronhall555

PostSubject: Re: Strange noise from top end of engine.   Strange noise from top end of engine. EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 5:15 pm

trav72 wrote:
Mine sounds the exact same. Don't worry about it and just ride it. thumb
Same here.
Back to top Go down
Sinfull

PostSubject: Re: Strange noise from top end of engine.   Strange noise from top end of engine. EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 9:11 am

thanks guys, appreciate the help
Back to top Go down
g-train

g-train

PostSubject: Re: Strange noise from top end of engine.   Strange noise from top end of engine. EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 11:37 pm

theres a frog in the airbox... lol
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Strange noise from top end of engine.   Strange noise from top end of engine. EmptyThu Mar 03, 2011 7:00 am

So?? Did you take it to dealer? What did they say?

It sounds normal to me too.

If you want to hear intake noise, remove the airbox door completely.
That's intake noise. thumb

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Sinfull

PostSubject: Re: Strange noise from top end of engine.   Strange noise from top end of engine. EmptyThu Mar 03, 2011 10:56 am

motokid wrote:
So?? Did you take it to dealer? What did they say?

It sounds normal to me too.

If you want to hear intake noise, remove the airbox door completely.
That's intake noise. thumb

I havent actually made it back to my dealer, The only time i could is on a sat morning but I seem to always be working. I will get there eventually. Shog
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Strange noise from top end of engine.   Strange noise from top end of engine. Empty

Back to top Go down

Strange noise from top end of engine.
Page 1 of 1