Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

suspension help

Go down 
AuthorMessage
skierd

suspension help Empty
PostSubject: suspension help   suspension help EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 11:56 am

I think its time to work on baby's legs a little. I'm a little lost though as I'm having a hard time figuring out whats going on, what I'm trying to fit, and how to go about it. Not much suspension knowledge is transferring from my autocross background, and I didnt know much then either. I'm going to continue doing dual sports, want to try at least one or two easier enduros this year, and the likelyhood of another cross country adventure thanks to recent developments is medium-high.

The forks I think are pretty close as is. I definitely need a fluid change (getting close to a year of use, 3 years in the forks, and close to 15,000 miles) and to have the head bearings checked out and greased, which I'm going to have done in January at a local shop (MRP). RaceTech's site says the stock spring rates are about right for my weight. About the only problem I have is after big hits I get a decent amount of spring back from the front end, be it rocks or a SURPRISE! bump in the road. I had some deflection issues when I lowered the rear an inch with the factory adjustment, rocks were killing me, but raised back up that mostly went away. Only physical change will be either Amsoil light shock fluid, which is close to stock, or Redline Light shock oil which is slightly heavier for more damping. Opinions?

The rear isn't as happy. I'm getting a lot of harshness on quick bumps like speed bumps at reasonable speeds (somewhat less hard and more controlled if I go faster lol), chattering on washboard surfaces paved or dirt, and feel like there's an overall lack of compliance. I feel like the back end is kicking and slipping when going down rocky trails instead of soaking up the bumps. I feel expansion joints in my spine on the highway. Doesn't feel too bad on smooth pavement or soft soils. Other than setting the clickers to HF's specs and messing with the ride height I haven't touched it.

Pretty well lost what to do. Debating between having MRP rebuild the shock with RaceTech stuff and helping me set the sag and preload correctly or go through GoRace and replacing the shock myself while futzing through the settings. Its a long ride to anywhere decent for testing unfortunately. Is there much difference between custom stuff like Travis's work at gorace vs. an off the shelf solution like RaceTech?
Back to top Go down

suspension help
Page 1 of 1