Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

low speed throttle

Go down 
+5
SheWolf
mordicai
Akasy
YZEtc
bsheet2
9 posters
AuthorMessage
bsheet2

bsheet2

low speed throttle Empty
PostSubject: low speed throttle   low speed throttle EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 12:07 am

Just got a new to me WRR. I have a question for all you knowledgable folks.

From full off throttle in first gear it is not a smooth transition to add just a bit of throttle. It goes from off to a bit too much throttle in a bit of a jerk. Not ral bad. But makes it jerky to try and put along slowly.

If this is normal I will get used to it. But was wondering if adjustmets might make the transition smoother.

Bike has 2500 mile son it and I have put maybe 200 more on since I got it.

HAve to admit. My other moto is a KLR. It is pretty smooth in the slow speed put put mode.

Is this the difference between a carb and FI bike??
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

low speed throttle Empty
PostSubject: Re: low speed throttle   low speed throttle EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 2:09 am

Yes, the bike will basically always do that going from closed throttle to open throttle at slow speed in 1st gear.
You can do two things to lessen it, though.

1) Use the clutch to dampen the effect, like as you use the clutch when backing your manual-shift car at very slow speed into a parking spot at the mall.
A bit of slight slippage does wonders, and once you make it a habit, you automatically do it and it makes things pretty smooth.

2) Install a fuel injection programmer, like lots of riders do.
The bike could really use one since the crummy EPA regs it has to pass makes that condition worse than it is without the fuel injection programmer.
With the programmer installed, throttle response is much better.
Back to top Go down
bsheet2

bsheet2

low speed throttle Empty
PostSubject: Re: low speed throttle   low speed throttle EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 6:23 am

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Akasy

low speed throttle Empty
PostSubject: Beg to differ...   low speed throttle EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 9:25 am

Never found this to be an issue. I can put mine in a continuous full lock turn and circle around until I get dizzy with on and off throttle with no jerkiness issues. Check your throttle cable adjustment.

YZEtc wrote:
Yes, the bike will basically always do that going from closed throttle to open throttle at slow speed in 1st gear.
You can do two things to lessen it, though.

1) Use the clutch to dampen the effect, like as you use the clutch when backing your manual-shift car at very slow speed into a parking spot at the mall.
A bit of slight slippage does wonders, and once you make it a habit, you automatically do it and it makes things pretty smooth.

2) Install a fuel injection programmer, like lots of riders do.
The bike could really use one since the crummy EPA regs it has to pass makes that condition worse than it is without the fuel injection programmer.
With the programmer installed, throttle response is much better.
Back to top Go down
mordicai

low speed throttle Empty
PostSubject: Re: low speed throttle   low speed throttle EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 9:40 am

Yah, this is a trait of FI. Drove me nuts for a while. Coming from Carb bikes I was not used to this. I installed a G2 Throttle Tamer which helped alot. Not completely, but more than I thought it would. I plan to go to a 13X46 sprockets, which should pretty much eliminate it. Of course slipping the clutch works. Some folks swear they don't have this problem, but I think most do and it's not a cable adjustment issue.
Back to top Go down
bsheet2

bsheet2

low speed throttle Empty
PostSubject: Re: low speed throttle   low speed throttle EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 11:31 am

Thanks for the replies. Looks like mixed experience on this. LOL. Well I will do some adjustments and see if I can smooth it out. If not, I can think about the throttle tamer. I plan to put on heated grips and they do not work well with aluminum so I have heard.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

low speed throttle Empty
PostSubject: Re: low speed throttle   low speed throttle EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 5:34 pm

It's not an issue for me, but my WR-250R did it just the same.
In fact, I'd be willing to bet most of my street-legal bikes did it, too.
I'm just accustomed to it and it doesn't bother me. :)
Back to top Go down
bsheet2

bsheet2

low speed throttle Empty
PostSubject: Re: low speed throttle   low speed throttle EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 7:00 pm

Maily I am gonna have to get used to doing turns at a lower gear and higher rpm's. I tend to use low throttle though pavement corners.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

low speed throttle Empty
PostSubject: Re: low speed throttle   low speed throttle EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 11:44 pm

I'm another one who didn't have that problem. The bike will also putt along in first gear without use of the throttle and not stall, contrary to what others say. low speed throttle 810411 From what I've read with others who have the G2, they seem to like it. But to be honest, the best investment I feel, is getting a fuel programmer. I ran mine with the bike fully stock to begin with, and it smoothed out the responsiveness of the throttle. The bad (or good, if you're a mod whore like me low speed throttle 851577 ) is that it leads to more accessories. low speed throttle 613970

low speed throttle Empty
PostSubject: Re: low speed throttle   low speed throttle EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 12:01 am

Yah, I've got to slow down on buying stuff for this bitch. If I don't I'm going to run out of stuff to buy in,Oh I don't know, year or two!
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

low speed throttle Empty
PostSubject: Re: low speed throttle   low speed throttle EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 12:06 am

low speed throttle 851577 You speak what I am faced with...hence my 'what should I get now??' thingy I posted. Just when you think you've got it where you want it, someone goes and makes some other kind of farkle that the bike begs for. Damn selfish bike... low speed throttle 911463

low speed throttle Empty
PostSubject: Re: low speed throttle   low speed throttle EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 12:09 am

And It's getting so fat and heavy. Does nothing but eats all the time.
Back to top Go down
Ryan Nelson

low speed throttle Empty
PostSubject: Re: low speed throttle   low speed throttle EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 10:52 am

An FI programmer can get rid of that slow speed stumble / herky-jerk.
Its a too lean stock coming from no throttle to cracked throttle and becomes evident at parking lot speeds.
Back to top Go down
mordicai

low speed throttle Empty
PostSubject: Re: low speed throttle   low speed throttle EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 11:34 am

Seems like an FI programmer is in my future. Which one?
Back to top Go down
M1A Rifleman

low speed throttle Empty
PostSubject: Re: low speed throttle   low speed throttle EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 12:00 pm

I have a 2010 and it is jerky or twitchy at low throttle/low speed, which I think is normal for FI single cyl bikes. Very different from an old carberated 2-stroke 250 with a 54 tooth rear sprocket, which is waht I grew up on.

At low speed, you need to use the clutch more often since the bike is geared so high for the street. Changing the rear sprocket to a 48 or larger will also help in that the bike wil pull better at low throttle. This will make the bike better for the dirt at the sacrifice of some street use.
Back to top Go down
Ryan Nelson

low speed throttle Empty
PostSubject: Re: low speed throttle   low speed throttle EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 9:03 pm

mordicai wrote:
Seems like an FI programmer is in my future. Which one?
Ive got an FMF and with a bit of playing with the tuning it was easy to rid the bike of the slow speed herky jerk. I'm sure any of them will do the job though.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

low speed throttle Empty
PostSubject: Re: low speed throttle   low speed throttle EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 9:44 pm

bsheet2: Which programmer... Good question. There are two types of solutions. Plug and play and plug in-and-out.

Let me ask.

When you were a kid and had (for example) Legos. Did you follow the instructions to build what they showed you how to build something ?

...or did you start building something and doink with it until you had what YOU wanted to build ?

Are you a gear head, or a techno head ?

Most here use the plug and play version (FMF type programmer).

Some of us like the more involved, plug-in-and-out, "continue to tweak (play with) it" variety.

I like playing with it. SheDaisey over there (referring to SheWolf) would too if she tried it, but she's a plug-in and ride kinda girl. poser2
Back to top Go down
bsheet2

bsheet2

low speed throttle Empty
PostSubject: programers   low speed throttle EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 8:51 am

Thanks for the info on programers. I am not planning to put a programer in. at lest for now. I intend to leave the stock muffler on. I am more interested in keeping good fuel milage than having more power. I am not a good enough rider to be screaming thru the woods with my hair on fire. LOL. I think the stock set up will be fine for me right now. And I want to keep the bike quiet.

I have not really seen a lot of data on fuel milage using the programmers. My perception is that it would go down since fuel mixture is getting richer. And I am not sure putting one in would really have much bennifit if I leave the stock muffler on there. Except maybe for smoothing out the low throttle jerks.
Back to top Go down
greer

low speed throttle Empty
PostSubject: Re: low speed throttle   low speed throttle EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 10:04 am

b,

Keep an open mind on the programmer. On my bike, the difference in ridability made it worth double the money. That's using the default settings, I've never touched a button on it. I get mid-60's mpg if I stay off the interstate. And regarding the low speed lurch, as other folks have mentioned, be sure to take out the slack in the throttle cables and avoid slop in the chain tension.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
bsheet2

bsheet2

low speed throttle Empty
PostSubject: Re: low speed throttle   low speed throttle EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 10:19 am

greer wrote:
b,

Keep an open mind on the programmer. On my bike, the difference in ridability made it worth double the money. That's using the default settings, I've never touched a button on it. I get mid-60's mpg if I stay off the interstate. And regarding the low speed lurch, as other folks have mentioned, be sure to take out the slack in the throttle cables and avoid slop in the chain tension.

Sarah

Thanks ! There is slack in the throttle cables and I do have chain a bit loose.

Greer, are you using the Attitude programer??

So I am confused on what fuel milage I should be expecting. If I you are doing interstate at 65 to 70 mph, what should I expect (stock bike). If I am crusing two lane hiways at 60 to 65 mph what should I expect?? This assumes I have clean air filter and tire inflated to 30 psi front and rear. I am hoping for 65 mpg in all conditions. But mainly I first want to confirm the engine is performing as it should.
Back to top Go down
mordicai

low speed throttle Empty
PostSubject: Re: low speed throttle   low speed throttle EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 11:35 am

Bsheet2, Give the G2 a try. I started laughing when I rode mine for the first time with it. Really smooths it out for $60,
Back to top Go down
greer

low speed throttle Empty
PostSubject: Re: low speed throttle   low speed throttle EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 3:25 pm

b,

I've got the FMF programmer. I don't think you'll get mid-60's MPG running interstate speeds, programmer or not. Check the last several pages of this thread for some recent mileage figures:

https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t376p60-fuel-mileage?highlight=mileage

Sarah
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

low speed throttle Empty
PostSubject: Re: low speed throttle   low speed throttle Empty

Back to top Go down

low speed throttle
Page 1 of 1