Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Adding Chain Links

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
mordicai

Adding Chain Links Empty
PostSubject: Adding Chain Links   Adding Chain Links EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 10:16 am

Newbie question here, as I've never had to do it. My x has 700 miles, so my chain and sprockets have no real wear. I want to put a 45 tooth sprocket on and run 13x45. To do this I need a 110 link chain instead of the 108 I have now. Can I add two links or do I need to buy a new chain??
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

Adding Chain Links Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adding Chain Links   Adding Chain Links EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 5:32 pm

You'll probably need a longer chain.
When I had 12/45 sprockets on my WR-250R, the stock chain barely made it as far as getting proper slack went.
I'd be surprised if a 13 and 45 would do it with 108 links.
Back to top Go down
mordicai

Adding Chain Links Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adding Chain Links   Adding Chain Links EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 5:38 pm

Your right there bub! 110 would be the ticket. Thanks for the info......
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

Adding Chain Links Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adding Chain Links   Adding Chain Links EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 8:50 pm

Guess I should have said that I'd buy a brandy-new chain, too. thumb
Back to top Go down
millert85

Adding Chain Links Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adding Chain Links   Adding Chain Links EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 10:07 pm

no problem with adding 2 links. boss/ FIL does it on all his bikes for different sprocket setups (motard, dirt track, mx). to only add 2 links you'll need 2 clip links and one of the inner dog bone piecesjoin it all up and ride away.
Back to top Go down
mordicai

Adding Chain Links Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adding Chain Links   Adding Chain Links EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 10:26 pm

Hey Thanks Millert, I thought I might be able to do that since everything is new with little wear. A shame to trash a brand new chain. Goin to buy some Australian kit from Force this week. Their Rad. Protector.
Back to top Go down
millert85

Adding Chain Links Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adding Chain Links   Adding Chain Links EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 10:33 pm

the force stuff is sweet kit. just got in a rad guard and bash plate for a r2 i just sold. the new plastic dipped black bash plate is a sexy bit of gear on a black bike.
Back to top Go down
mordicai

Adding Chain Links Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adding Chain Links   Adding Chain Links EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 10:39 pm

I haven't seen that Bash Plate. I'll have to get on their site and take a Look. I was planning on an U.S. model from Flatland Racing. My Daughter is off to Tasmania on Friday for a visit with friends.
Back to top Go down
millert85

Adding Chain Links Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adding Chain Links   Adding Chain Links EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 10:44 pm

its not listed on their site. i think they only just started doing it, was same price as plain alloy. it looks very much like the smooth plastic dipping they put on the handle of some hand tools. sort of a semi-gloss. went on a black r2 with the black anodised rad guard. nearly looked too good to ride... nearly
Back to top Go down
mordicai

Adding Chain Links Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adding Chain Links   Adding Chain Links EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 11:23 pm

It's up on their site. Hard to tell from their photo, but it sure sounds like you think it's the cat;s meow. You think the sides on that plate are strong enough? How would you compare it to the flatland racing?
Back to top Go down
millert85

Adding Chain Links Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adding Chain Links   Adding Chain Links EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 11:41 pm

much of a muchness strength wise. i've seen my bro in law do ungodly things to his wr450f with a force bash plate and its still perfect, but same can be said for all the others. personally i dont deal with flatland, force being a great aussie product i tend to stick with them. i can tell you that the force plate i installed the other day had a better fit and finish than the GYT-R i put on a '06 yz450f yesterday.
Back to top Go down
mordicai

Adding Chain Links Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adding Chain Links   Adding Chain Links EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 11:44 pm

Looks like I'll be ordering two things from Force. Nice talking with you.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Adding Chain Links Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adding Chain Links   Adding Chain Links EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 11:48 pm

Mord you can throw that 45 rear sprocket on with the stock chain, it will fit. Others have done it, but 45 is that biggest you can go before you have to go to a longer chain, just so you know. Adding Chain Links 61865

Adding Chain Links Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adding Chain Links   Adding Chain Links EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 11:57 pm

Thanks Wolf, I thinks I'll try adding a couple of links to get the wheel back a bit. My only concern was that somehow it could hurt the sprockets, but I think that's just worry wort stuff.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Adding Chain Links Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adding Chain Links   Adding Chain Links Empty

Back to top Go down

Adding Chain Links
Page 1 of 1