Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

California Emissions Got To Go

Go down 
+6
mixie
R_C_Elwell
X-Racer
Striper19
M1A Rifleman
Claus22
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Claus22

California Emissions Got To Go Empty
PostSubject: California Emissions Got To Go   California Emissions Got To Go EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 12:31 am

Has anyone taken all of the smog junk off their California WRR ? If so where did you get where did you get the info on how to do it. And was it worth the trouble ?
Back to top Go down
M1A Rifleman

PostSubject: Re: California Emissions Got To Go   California Emissions Got To Go EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 12:46 pm

I believe there is a thread on ThumperTalk regarding removal of the California charcol canister. This is the only difference between a 49 state and a California bike. I have not done the removal as the bike works fone for me, however I understand it is easy. One tube is your gas tank vent, so add a filter to the end and tie to a frame member. The other hose is a vapor return to the FI unit. This one needs to be plugged.
Back to top Go down
Striper19

Striper19

PostSubject: Re: California Emissions Got To Go   California Emissions Got To Go EmptyThu Feb 17, 2011 11:45 pm

Its super simple - I did it last night and I DID NOT HAVE TO BUY 49 STATE CAP. Only thing needed is a UNI vent filetr (Looks like a mini K&N filter, a hose clamp, and a ziptie - All that comes with the filter! Sweet...)

How To Remove the Charcoal Cannister:

1) Take the black plate off.

2) Attached to the plate via a rubber grommet/boot is the canister which has 2 hose connected to it. One is from a two way valve just before it connectes to the tank, the other hose goes to the Fuel Injector.

3) Unplug the hose at the Fuel Injector and get a vaccum cap and cover that.

4) Cut the hose going up to the 2 way valve approximately 4" before the valve. (The valve is the little black thingy that is about 2 inches below the tank which interupts the hose going to the bottom of tank).

5) Now the can is completely free of the bike.

6) With the end of the hose you just cut (coming from the 2 way valve) slide on a UNI VENT FILTER (They look like a mini K&N filter) and put a hose clamp on it so it does not come off the hose later on down the line.

7) Make sure the 2 way valve is facing towards the fron of the bike (Its "L" shapped) You want the Uni filter facing towards the front.

7) The uni filter comes with a zip-tie and a little plastic loop on the edge of the filter.

8) Zip tie the filter to one of the many tings hanging down directly behind the black plastic shroud. This takes the weight of the filter off the hose and ensures the hose is in a straight line and the filter is protected from road debris and other things. The filter should now be neatly out of the way also.

9) Re-install the black plate if you desire or purchase a new skid plate and install for motor protection.

10) Go have a beer and be satisfied that you have stuck it to our wonderful state!

The uni vent give enough air to the tank to properly vent it so you do not have to switch tanks or buy the 49 state cap. The 2 way valve could be eliminated but might as well keep it there because it serves a little function in keeping things looking neat and clean by utilizing that "L" shape and holding the Uni filter outta the way.

Hockeybob likes this post

Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: California Emissions Got To Go   California Emissions Got To Go EmptyFri Feb 18, 2011 4:23 pm

I haven't seen a WRR about town. We must ride on different paths !

Gimme a shout and come on over some time.

- Robert
Back to top Go down
R_C_Elwell

PostSubject: Question about charcoal Canister and IMS 4.75 gal tank   California Emissions Got To Go EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 11:42 pm

I have the CA model and I just got the IMS 4.75 gal tank. If I remove the charcoal canister to still need to get the UNI filter or is the tank cap enough of a vent? If I am understanding it correctly. I should just need to plug the other line?

Roston
Back to top Go down
Claus22

PostSubject: Re: California Emissions Got To Go   California Emissions Got To Go EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 12:56 am

You would only need the uni filter if you still had the OEM tank. Really if you still had the OEM tank all you would need is a 3 foot fuel line running from the tank to the bottom of your frame and just let the overflow go free. But yes as long as you plugged the nipple at the fuel injector your good. thumb Now just get yourself a good skid plate.
Back to top Go down
R_C_Elwell

PostSubject: Re: California Emissions Got To Go   California Emissions Got To Go EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 12:56 am

Thanks, I order the Force Bash Plate. Hopefully that is a good one? What is the best way to plug the the line going into the injector? I have read vacuum plug works well? do you know off hand what size it is?
Back to top Go down
Claus22

PostSubject: Re: California Emissions Got To Go   California Emissions Got To Go EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 9:30 am

I used an 1/8'' plug. To put it on I used needle nose pliers to start it then was able to push it the rest of the way with my finger. I did not use a hose clamp or zip tie and have had no problems. I like the force plate, let me know how it sounds. My flatland plate bothered me at first so I tried using dynamat but it did not work. So know I just use an old inner tube cut up to shim my plate.
Back to top Go down
R_C_Elwell

PostSubject: Re: California Emissions Got To Go   California Emissions Got To Go EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Thanks. I will let you know how the Force plate works. I see you are in the South Bay. I am in Culver City.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: California Emissions Got To Go   California Emissions Got To Go EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 8:02 pm

Ok, so with a new IMS 3.1 gallon tank, no filter is needed and all i need to do is plug the other line that goes to the FI. The one that had the filter on it, do I just leave that one long to the end of the frame like posted above?
Back to top Go down
mixie

PostSubject: Re: California Emissions Got To Go   California Emissions Got To Go EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 7:18 pm

Does the California plumbing provide decent protection on a gravel road? No tree trunks or other large objects in my way for now...
Back to top Go down
jasunto

PostSubject: Re: California Emissions Got To Go   California Emissions Got To Go EmptyThu Apr 26, 2018 8:22 pm

Does anyone have a clear picture of this charcoal canister mounted on the bike?
Back to top Go down
PeteJE

PostSubject: Re: California Emissions Got To Go   California Emissions Got To Go EmptyFri Apr 27, 2018 12:27 pm

California Emissions Got To Go 53b8d810

Under the black plastic hump down there at skid plate location
Back to top Go down
Jerry S

PostSubject: Re: California Emissions Got To Go   California Emissions Got To Go EmptyTue May 01, 2018 2:23 pm

I live in So Cal also. Getting rid of all the smog stuff was the first thing I do on California bikes.

California bikes have so much garbage on them it's incredible, I prefer to make them as simple and sanitary as possible. I think the weight reduction or even the performance aspect is reason enough.
Back to top Go down
smackdab

PostSubject: Re: California Emissions Got To Go   California Emissions Got To Go EmptyWed Oct 24, 2018 9:55 am

Still a little confused here:
1) For the hose that's connected to the fuel injector, can I simply leave the hose in place, after disconnecting the canister, and cap the end of the hose down at the bottom of the bike? In other words, why do I need to cap this at the fuel injector instead of at the bottom of the hose that's already connected to the fuel injector?
2) Similar question concerning the other hose that goes to the fuel tank. One poster here said it was ok to run a hose from the tank down to the bottom of the bike to vent. Isn't that what the stock hose is doing after it's been disconnected from the canister? In other words, can this hose also stay where it is? Could the filter then be installed at the end of this hose, again at the bottom of the bike? How important is this filter? Both hoses would sit behind the new skid plate, with approach I'm describing.
Thanks for any help.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: California Emissions Got To Go   California Emissions Got To Go Empty

Back to top Go down

California Emissions Got To Go
Page 1 of 1