Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Riding to cabo with beamers: tire choice?

Go down 
+5
X-Racer
spadgitt
mordicai
greer
kptahoe
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
kptahoe

Riding to cabo with beamers: tire choice? Empty
PostSubject: Riding to cabo with beamers: tire choice?   Riding to cabo with beamers: tire choice? EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 5:43 am

Next month Ill be leaving with my wr250r and the other guys will be on r1100 gs or newer. Its over 3000 miles round trip. I just bought a set of shinko 705s to place on. Right call or will I miss my d606s. I figured the shinko's should be able to take me anywhere those guys would go with their bigger bikes and provide for a nice ride down on the highway.

Also what is the best advice for making the seat comfortable, no time to send off for custom work.

Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Riding to cabo with beamers: tire choice?   Riding to cabo with beamers: tire choice? EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 6:11 am

You could take a look at the Michelin T63 if you want a meaner tire with good road manners, just a bit over $100 a set delivered last time I ordered.

And I'd contact Seat Concepts to beg and plead my case:

http://seatconcepts.com/

Enjoy your trip!

Sarah
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: Riding to cabo with beamers: tire choice?   Riding to cabo with beamers: tire choice? EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 8:09 am

+1 on Seat Concepts. Great seat and ready to ship for $159.
Back to top Go down
spadgitt

PostSubject: Re: Riding to cabo with beamers: tire choice?   Riding to cabo with beamers: tire choice? EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 8:48 am

mordicai wrote:
+1 on Seat Concepts. Great seat and ready to ship for $159.

Make that +2 on Seat Concepts. thumb
Great customer service on top of a great product.
I love mine.

Scott P.
Back to top Go down
kptahoe

PostSubject: thanks for the quick reply   Riding to cabo with beamers: tire choice? EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 12:46 pm

ill be giving seat concept a call today. That looks like the most reasonable option.

The t63 looks like a really good choice. Since I have ordered the shinkos already I guess I will try them out. I am sure I still have time to cancel if needed, worse case you guys will get a new ride report about them.

thanks,
kptahoe
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Riding to cabo with beamers: tire choice?   Riding to cabo with beamers: tire choice? EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 1:43 pm

Not to spoil the ride report but let's hear about the planned trip !

How many bikes ?

Planned route ?

Number of days ?
Back to top Go down
kptahoe

PostSubject: ha trip planning   Riding to cabo with beamers: tire choice? EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 3:28 pm

Well I am hoping to find out more about the trip plan myself. My buddy while drinking beers after skiing this week stated he had just bought a 1995 gs over the weekend. His following statement was I am going to baja for the month of February...you in.

So thats how it began.

The details I have at this moment. Ride down with 2 bmw gs through baja. Surf, kiteboard, paraglide, and beer. I am sure we will do some DS rides but I dont think it will be the basis of the trip. More of the mode of transportation.

I originally was thinking about buying a tiger to make the trip. I found a 99 855i that I liked but couldn't talk him down far enough. Not that I am not proud of the 250 but I was feeling a little out gunned, but to hell with feelings.

Thats when I decided to start shopping. I figured I would just slap some Wolfman Expedition Saddle and tank bag on for luggage. Just ordered a seat minutes ago. Spitfire windshield. New set of tires. The only thing left I need to purchase is an ims tank and finally break down and buy some sidi discovery boots. All that added up real quick. Speaking of which can you still get a deal on those gas tanks through the forum?

Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Riding to cabo with beamers: tire choice?   Riding to cabo with beamers: tire choice? EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 4:42 pm

Oh yea... I know the drinkin after skiing bike trip planing part. Whhheeeeee..... Very happy

Sounds like a great plan. Definitely get the tank. Yes... With forum discounts.

Not the best months to surf in BC, but if you get surf you'll have it all to yourself !

What size boot do you wear ? ...because I bought some brand-new (once worn) Sidi Discovery size 9's at a price I couldn't refuse, but I already have two pairs of boots. I really don't need three. If they are your size you can have em for the $200 I bought them for.

I wish I could get away to go. Grrrr.....
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: Riding to cabo with beamers: tire choice?   Riding to cabo with beamers: tire choice? EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 7:46 pm

from Santa Marta to Guerro Negro is a big hop between gas stations. 200 mile if I remember right, if the gas station at the hotel is still closed. Been a few years since I did it, so my info is not current, but a fabulous trip. Will be windy and cold so dress for it.
Back to top Go down
kptahoe

PostSubject: windy and cold?? electric vest or jacket liner   Riding to cabo with beamers: tire choice? EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 8:48 pm

Thanks for the replys. Ordered the ims tank so one more item down.

With 350 watts of power I might have to use up some of it. Would an electric vest be a good investment or just commit and get the jacket liner. Any favorite products out there.

Thanks,
kptahoe
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: Riding to cabo with beamers: tire choice?   Riding to cabo with beamers: tire choice? EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 9:02 pm

Well I've been using an aerostich darian jacket with a heated liner for the past ten years and it's still in great shape. It's a big investment but if your going to be doing this for a while.....it keeps me warm protected and dry.....what is that worth over a period of years.....www.aerostich.com
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Riding to cabo with beamers: tire choice?   Riding to cabo with beamers: tire choice? EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 8:19 am

Check with Rose at WarmnSafe for closeouts and specials, and be sure to ask for the Advrider discount.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=613548

Sleeved jacket liner all the way!

Sarah
Back to top Go down
kptahoe

PostSubject: jacket liner   Riding to cabo with beamers: tire choice? EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 7:53 pm

So a jacket liner with controller is 210 after shipping. Not bad but the money is getting tight. It is mexico do I really need this? Dont get me wrong I want it. I also want new boots and darien pants.

I mean whats another 200 dollars to be super nice and comfy.

So any one selling 34L Darien Pants, size 46 sidi discovery boots. Oh ya and an extra girlfriend that is ok with me leaving for a month (mines not).

Just Pondering,
kptahoe
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Riding to cabo with beamers: tire choice?   Riding to cabo with beamers: tire choice? EmptySun Jan 09, 2011 12:25 pm

Get the Warm and Safe tourmiser or calientita or whatever they're calling it liner, its 65w and should be about $150 with a 3 step remote controller vs. $200+ for the 90w and a heat troller. I have it and like it very much, and its still warm as hell. Just because its Mexico doesn't mean its not gonna get chilly in February.
Back to top Go down
RobR

RobR

PostSubject: Re: Riding to cabo with beamers: tire choice?   Riding to cabo with beamers: tire choice? EmptySun Jan 09, 2011 2:31 pm

kptahoe wrote:
Surf, kiteboard, paraglide, and beer.

Not sure how you carry the surf & kite boards on a bike, but the paraglider & beer are do-able.

I just got a large wolfman duffle and was shocked as to how big it is. I was able to put a well packed glider, TRL mountain harness & and a reserve in it with room to spare. So now I'm thinking about a Baja ride too because of all the great places to ridge soar along the coast.
Back to top Go down
kptahoe

PostSubject: duffle bag   Riding to cabo with beamers: tire choice? EmptySun Jan 09, 2011 11:18 pm

Speaking of duffle bags how much weight and with what do you guys pack above the saddle bags. I have the wolfman expidition saddle bags and racks to support the extra width of a duffle.

Robr which bag do you use. Do you like it, or is it to big for our bike.
Thanks, kptahoe
Back to top Go down
Bgunn

Bgunn

PostSubject: Re: Riding to cabo with beamers: tire choice?   Riding to cabo with beamers: tire choice? EmptyMon Jan 10, 2011 12:16 am

kptahoe wrote:
So a jacket liner with controller is 210 after shipping. Not bad but the money is getting tight. It is mexico do I really need this? Dont get me wrong I want it. I also want new boots and darien pants.

I mean whats another 200 dollars to be super nice and comfy.

Just Pondering,
kptahoe

Got back yesterday from a ride down to Cabo and back. Only seen temps in the mid 70's at the tip. Took a heated jacket and used it a lot. Not mandatory but nice. Was able to run jacket and heated grips at the same time. At least take some thermals. Came to the conclusion that Baja is never as warm as I expect it to be.
Hardly any tourist there and the riding was fantatstic. Ran a 606 which will make it both ways if its new. Mine wasn't so I bought a tire in La Paz.
Got a set of Shinko 705's on a DR650 and really like them. Should be fine for mostly slabbing it.

Riding to cabo with beamers: tire choice? Dscn1594g

Riding to cabo with beamers: tire choice? Img1884sk
Back to top Go down
RobR

RobR

PostSubject: Re: Riding to cabo with beamers: tire choice?   Riding to cabo with beamers: tire choice? EmptyMon Jan 10, 2011 2:03 pm

kptahoe wrote:

Robr which bag do you use. Do you like it, or is it to big for our bike.
Thanks, kptahoe

I have the wolfman waterproof saddle bags and a small & large wolfman enduro duffle. The small with the saddle bags is plenty for longer, camping rides. The large I got for taking paragliding gear with me.

Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Riding to cabo with beamers: tire choice?   Riding to cabo with beamers: tire choice? EmptyMon Jan 10, 2011 10:01 pm

Surfboard's go on the surfboard rack thumb

Riding to cabo with beamers: tire choice? Surfboard1

Riding to cabo with beamers: tire choice? Surfboard2

Riding to cabo with beamers: tire choice? Surfrack3

Its a rental unfortunately, don't get to the beach enough to own a board, 8'6" or 7" if I remember right.
Back to top Go down
kptahoe

PostSubject: Parts starting to arrive   Riding to cabo with beamers: tire choice? EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 3:13 pm

So far I have received my ims gas tank, new seat from seat concept, and my windshield. Still trying to decide on a tail bag but that is the only gear I havent decided on. The main order is coming from dual sport outlet. Ill have to give them a call to see if there is any delays.

kptahoe
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Riding to cabo with beamers: tire choice?   Riding to cabo with beamers: tire choice? EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 6:34 am

Coming right along! Wish I was heading South to stay for the next 2 months.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
kptahoe

PostSubject: rotopax mount   Riding to cabo with beamers: tire choice? EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 8:20 pm

the bmw's in the group are worried about my range in baja. Even with the ims tank. I was looking at the rotopax that can attach to my luggage rack.

http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Accessories/RotoPaxMountSystem.html

Any thoughts or concerns going this route.

kptahoe
Back to top Go down
Bgunn

Bgunn

PostSubject: Re: Riding to cabo with beamers: tire choice?   Riding to cabo with beamers: tire choice? EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 8:42 pm

I have a IMS tank that took me 167 miles before I ran out in Baja. I bought a 1 gallon rotopax with out mount, and just rok straped it on before the IMS tank. Didn't take the rotopax to Baja.
If you ride Hwy 1 all the way down there is a 200 mile plus run from El Rosario to Jesus Maria for gas. Of course there is always barrel gas in Catavina and LA Bay cutoff.

If you go Hwy 5 San Felipe thru Coco's Corner (recommended) its not as far between gas stops.

My 3 gallon IMS did fine in Baja. Hope you do a trip report afterwards.

Back to top Go down
kptahoe

PostSubject: new gearing   Riding to cabo with beamers: tire choice? EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 10:58 pm

Well most of the pieces are coming together. Last order to be made is 14/45 with a 110 chain. That should make it a little taller then stock.

I decided to not buy an electric jacket. That way on my next big trip I have something to look forward to buying. I just had to stop spending for the time being.

One more question? How many tubes would you guys bring on a trip like this. Obviously I will have a patch kit so is one rear and one front enough.

thanks, kptahoe
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: Riding to cabo with beamers: tire choice?   Riding to cabo with beamers: tire choice? EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 11:12 pm

Why would yu make it taller? I;'ve spent years riding Baja and I would have gone t he other way....MTC....Tubes depend where you are going to ride. If you ride the desert alot there are thorns everwhere.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Riding to cabo with beamers: tire choice?   Riding to cabo with beamers: tire choice? Empty

Back to top Go down

Riding to cabo with beamers: tire choice?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next