Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Poor Braking

Go down 
+6
TBird1
railbird
mattf
ohiowrx
Dancamp
mordicai
10 posters
AuthorMessage
mordicai

Poor Braking Empty
PostSubject: Poor Braking   Poor Braking EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 11:59 am

I am a bit alarmed at what to me seems to be poor breaking performance on my x. I live in San Diego and often have to make fast stops when doing 65-70 MPH. I have to squeeze harder and harder and harder before the darn thing really slows down. I feel like I'm using both front and rear correctly. Now this could just be operator error, and maybe a good thing as you have to be a gorrrilla to lock up the front wheel, but I'd like to see a bit more stopping power with less effort. Any feedback would be appreciated....join a gym and lift weights?........different pads?.......steel break lines?... Don't ride so fast.....ahh, no that won't work!
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

Poor Braking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor Braking   Poor Braking EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 12:08 pm

There must be a problem with your brakes. My X has more than enough braking power with 2 fingers. I must be careful not to lock the front wheel.
Back to top Go down
mordicai

Poor Braking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor Braking   Poor Braking EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 12:37 pm

Dancamp wrote:
There must be a problem with your brakes. My X has more than enough braking power with 2 fingers. I must be careful not to lock the front wheel.
At slower speeds this is also the case with me, but at 70 MPH it just feels mushy, which makes me feel that may steel lines would help
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

Poor Braking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor Braking   Poor Braking EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 1:13 pm

No problem at any speed.
Back to top Go down
ohiowrx

ohiowrx

Poor Braking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor Braking   Poor Braking EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 1:19 pm

Have you tried bleeding your brakes?
Back to top Go down
mattf

Poor Braking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor Braking   Poor Braking EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 1:21 pm

steel line will always help with mushiness. I've never had a problem with feeling like I don't have enough brake at any speed and have to be careful not to lock them up as others have stated. I do have a steel line in the front though.
Back to top Go down
ohiowrx

ohiowrx

Poor Braking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor Braking   Poor Braking EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 1:40 pm

I have a steel braided front brake line as well, but even when it was still stock, two fingers is all it ever took to stop me.
Back to top Go down
railbird

railbird

Poor Braking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor Braking   Poor Braking EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 2:09 pm

How many miles on the pads? Stock or aftermarket? How dirty is the brake fluid? Stock lever? Crashed on the brake side (either caliper or master cylinder)? Did the concern start suddenly or gradually? Have you done anything mods-wise since the brakes worked well? Have they ever worked well? Is the rotor clean? Do you have a leaky fork seal? Do the brakes pulse or just feel mushy?
Back to top Go down
mordicai

Poor Braking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor Braking   Poor Braking EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 8:35 pm

Bike is a three month old 2010. Perhaps there is air in the line. I installed a Highway Dirt bike setup last a couple of months ago and had to slightly loosen the banjo bolt at the resovoir so I could turn the front brake line up a little to clear the guards. I loosened it just enough to turn it but may be air got in and that's my problem. I have to take a look at the bike but I assume bleeding is the same as a car. Bleed bolt at the caliper and so on???
Back to top Go down
TBird1

TBird1

Poor Braking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor Braking   Poor Braking EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 8:45 pm

My WR250R is a 2010 model. After seeing the smallish brakes I wasn't expecting much. However, these bikes don't weigh much either (for a street bike). I was pleasantly surprised by the braking performance of this machine. As the front brake has a very firm feel on my bike I think there is something wrong with yours. Brake bleeding is step #1.
Back to top Go down
mattf

Poor Braking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor Braking   Poor Braking EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 10:53 pm

it's certainly possible you got a little air in there, would certainly not hurt to bleed them to be sure. bleed screw is on the caliper, all works the same as a car. I purchased a mighty vac, $30 some dollars at any auto parts store, and it makes it super easy and fast by yourself but the old pumping the lever works as well.
Back to top Go down
skierd

Poor Braking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor Braking   Poor Braking EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 11:34 pm

If you loosened the banjo bolt you almost definitely have air in the line. Try bleeding your brake. Nearly 15,000 miles on stock pads and fluid in an 08 R bought new in Jan '10 and still stops hard enough that I have to be careful with the front brake.
Back to top Go down
mash100

mash100

Poor Braking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor Braking   Poor Braking EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 1:46 pm

skierd wrote:
If you loosened the banjo bolt you almost definitely have air in the line. Try bleeding your brake. Nearly 15,000 miles on stock pads and fluid in an 08 R bought new in Jan '10 and still stops hard enough that I have to be careful with the front brake.
+ 1
My X is 2009, 8000 miles, front brake VERY strong. Must be air, or oil on disc?????
Back to top Go down
mordicai

Poor Braking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor Braking   Poor Braking EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 7:37 pm

Yah I have air in the line, If I pump it up it grabs like hell. Thanks for the help. Great forum.
Back to top Go down
mash100

mash100

Poor Braking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor Braking   Poor Braking EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 5:19 am

mordicai wrote:
Yah I have air in the line, If I pump it up it grabs like hell. Thanks for the help. Great forum.
My first car did exactly this. Unfortunately the bleed screws all seized & I couldn't afford new parts - had to pump brakes several times just to slow dow!! REALLY dangerous......
Back to top Go down
MeefZah

MeefZah

Poor Braking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor Braking   Poor Braking EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 6:25 am

railbird wrote:
Do you have a leaky fork seal?

I see he has solved the problem , but I wanted to chime in... my fork seals have failed 3 times now, and the only reason I keep replacing them is because of how shitty the front brake gets when the rotor is covered in oil...
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

Poor Braking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor Braking   Poor Braking EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 10:18 pm

Try taking the caliper off and pushing the pistons all the way back into the caliper (make sure you don't overflow the master) this pushes a lot of fluid back to the master and usually the air as well
Then put the caliper back on and pump it up
Anytime you bleed the brake or change the fluid this is a good thing to do first
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Poor Braking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor Braking   Poor Braking Empty

Back to top Go down

Poor Braking
Page 1 of 1