Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

First WR250R Vlog + Painful Crash in the Pinapple Fields

Go down 
+3
dustcloud
YZEtc
Kalani Prince
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Kalani Prince

Kalani Prince

First WR250R Vlog + Painful Crash in the Pinapple Fields Empty
PostSubject: First WR250R Vlog + Painful Crash in the Pinapple Fields   First WR250R Vlog + Painful Crash in the Pinapple Fields EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 3:43 am

Here's my channel : https://www.youtube.com/user/AccidentalBroadcast

If you guys like it, I'll definitely make more!

Any Maui location recommendations are welcome as well : )

Love and Aloha, Kalani-
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: First WR250R Vlog + Painful Crash in the Pinapple Fields   First WR250R Vlog + Painful Crash in the Pinapple Fields EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 11:01 am

Time for some off-road knobby tires. :)

Nice-looking place to live and ride because it seems so warm. thumb
Back to top Go down
dustcloud

PostSubject: Re: First WR250R Vlog + Painful Crash in the Pinapple Fields   First WR250R Vlog + Painful Crash in the Pinapple Fields EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 12:15 pm

Def looks like a nice place to ride. Hope your ribs are feeling better. thumb
Back to top Go down
Medski

Medski

PostSubject: Re: First WR250R Vlog + Painful Crash in the Pinapple Fields   First WR250R Vlog + Painful Crash in the Pinapple Fields EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 2:52 pm

I love it! I wish I lived there too.. I guess you learn about new tires, but don't forget water bottle in bag is much less safer than a camel back, and you had a camelback... I stand confused!

Hope you recover soon!

Oh and if I were you I'd put some gloves!
Back to top Go down
Kalani Prince

Kalani Prince

PostSubject: Re: First WR250R Vlog + Painful Crash in the Pinapple Fields   First WR250R Vlog + Painful Crash in the Pinapple Fields EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 3:58 am

damn, that bag came with a bladder too! Researching tires too, think I'm going for the Michelin T63's : )
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First WR250R Vlog + Painful Crash in the Pinapple Fields   First WR250R Vlog + Painful Crash in the Pinapple Fields EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 4:05 am

very nice vid, love the camera quality. Subscribed thumb
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: First WR250R Vlog + Painful Crash in the Pinapple Fields   First WR250R Vlog + Painful Crash in the Pinapple Fields EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 3:15 pm

That is hilarious....

+1 on the gloves and bladder. Get some knee guards too.

Tires are going to help, but be VERY careful when you transition off that exceptionally slippery Hawai'i mud to the slab. It'll be just as slippery for awhile.

"These bikes are built to crash..." Lucky for you. Looks like you should be on the development team !

Can we get some pics paddling out to Honolua Bay at about 12 feet ?
Back to top Go down
Kalani Prince

Kalani Prince

PostSubject: Re: First WR250R Vlog + Painful Crash in the Pinapple Fields   First WR250R Vlog + Painful Crash in the Pinapple Fields EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 9:16 pm

twowheeled wrote:
very nice vid, love the camera quality. Subscribed thumb

Mahalo!
Back to top Go down
Kalani Prince

Kalani Prince

PostSubject: Re: First WR250R Vlog + Painful Crash in the Pinapple Fields   First WR250R Vlog + Painful Crash in the Pinapple Fields EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 9:17 pm

X-Racer wrote:
That is hilarious....

+1 on the gloves and bladder. Get some knee guards too.

Tires are going to help, but be VERY careful when you transition off that exceptionally slippery Hawai'i mud to the slab. It'll be just as slippery for awhile.

"These bikes are built to crash..." Lucky for you. Looks like you should be on the development team !

Can we get some pics paddling out to Honolua Bay at about 12 feet ?

Next time Honolua is breaking, I'll go shoot a vid just for you ; )

Kalani
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: First WR250R Vlog + Painful Crash in the Pinapple Fields   First WR250R Vlog + Painful Crash in the Pinapple Fields EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 10:12 pm

Mahalo Kalani... Keep it rubber side down.

More vids, less crashing please !
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: First WR250R Vlog + Painful Crash in the Pinapple Fields   First WR250R Vlog + Painful Crash in the Pinapple Fields EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 12:19 am

There's a saying that goes something like:
"Did you ever consider that the only purpose of your existence is to serve as an object lesson to others"?

Don't be that guy.

Sooner or later, unless you start wearing proper gear, you WILL pay the butcher's bill.

I've parachuted into Hawaii a time or two (DZ East Range), so I've gotten a close and personal look at how soft and innocuous that mud seems.

HOWEVER...

... you'll be sorrreeeeeeeee....

Lose the jeans, man. Jeans are for Harley riders who can afford skin grafts - or don't care. There are lots of riding pants, with and without built in armour, that will absorb a lot of the crunch of going down. Particularly if your bike decides to chase you to the ground and use you as a landing mat. And a lot of those pants are vented. I ride with pants with built in armour and minimal ventilation; as long as I keep moving, they're okay even up into the 90's, and they're not even hot weather wear.

Get some good gloves and wear them. Full stop, end of story.

Get some body armour. I wear the same armoured dual sport jacket (Tourmaster Transitions) from 0 degrees to 90+. With all the vent zippers open, it basically puffs up all around you leaving you in a bubble of air with flow through ventilation (except where you have it tightened down to keep the armour in place around arms), so you don't cook like you might think... until you stop, of course. If you don't like that, there's all kind of mesh armour-only products out there.

Your boots look suspiciously non suitable. Lots of riders in shoes and light boots sustain serious injuries every year. It is not worth it to risk a crippling injury to your foot or ankle just for the price of a pair of boots. Look at something like Gaerne's Balance series of boots - protection, but your jeans will fit over them and allow you to look rather stylish, and they have a sole that will allow you to hoof it a ways from the bike.

Finally, don't carry big bulky things with hard edges in a pack on your back or stuffed in a riding jacket pocket. That's a recipe for producing a flail segment in your chest wall in a fall. Store the bulky shyte in a tail bag, a tank bag, whatever. It appears all you got was the equivalent of the old kidney punch that winds you - on a harder surface you might not have been so lucky.

That poor bike of yours... I don't believe they're designed to go down, but if you expect to go down, prepare the bike as best you can for that eventuality.

Put some handguards on it. It will help to prevent the fall that tears off your clutch lever... A bash plate is never a bad thing, even when you think you'll never hit a rock. And a radiator guard... a few falls like that and you'll be able to put a nice, expensive shiny new radiator on your bike to replace that old, boring functional one you have now. All of this will cost you about $300 or so.

Riding without the gear? Been there, done that about 40 years ago when I was young and stupid. Still have the scars but learned the lesson the hard way. You don't have to learn the way I did.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: First WR250R Vlog + Painful Crash in the Pinapple Fields   First WR250R Vlog + Painful Crash in the Pinapple Fields EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 3:08 am

I think you were just scolded by the "Grandfather" of experience * waves at Jäger *

....which is the bad things about publishing videos.

My first experience by which was a drive-through a semi-drunken flirting with the girl in McDonalds on the way to the desert by my buddy. ....which happened to come-up for display in a broken segment of kids videos. ....in front of family members. Shog

Meanwhile, back to the accidental carnage. Hana-Ho ! (translated meaning "Encore" in Hawai'ian)
Back to top Go down
Kalani Prince

Kalani Prince

PostSubject: Re: First WR250R Vlog + Painful Crash in the Pinapple Fields   First WR250R Vlog + Painful Crash in the Pinapple Fields EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 6:36 am

Jäger wrote:
There's a saying that goes something like:
"Did you ever consider that the only purpose of your existence is to serve as an object lesson to others"?

Don't be that guy.

Sooner or later, unless you start wearing proper gear, you WILL pay the butcher's bill.

I've parachuted into Hawaii a time or two (DZ East Range), so I've gotten a close and personal look at how soft and innocuous that mud seems.

HOWEVER...

... you'll be sorrreeeeeeeee....

Lose the jeans, man. Jeans are for Harley riders who can afford skin grafts - or don't care. There are lots of riding pants, with and without built in armour, that will absorb a lot of the crunch of going down. Particularly if your bike decides to chase you to the ground and use you as a landing mat. And a lot of those pants are vented. I ride with pants with built in armour and minimal ventilation; as long as I keep moving, they're okay even up into the 90's, and they're not even hot weather wear.

Get some good gloves and wear them. Full stop, end of story.

Get some body armour. I wear the same armoured dual sport jacket (Tourmaster Transitions) from 0 degrees to 90+. With all the vent zippers open, it basically puffs up all around you leaving you in a bubble of air with flow through ventilation (except where you have it tightened down to keep the armour in place around arms), so you don't cook like you might think... until you stop, of course. If you don't like that, there's all kind of mesh armour-only products out there.

Your boots look suspiciously non suitable. Lots of riders in shoes and light boots sustain serious injuries every year. It is not worth it to risk a crippling injury to your foot or ankle just for the price of a pair of boots. Look at something like Gaerne's Balance series of boots - protection, but your jeans will fit over them and allow you to look rather stylish, and they have a sole that will allow you to hoof it a ways from the bike.

Finally, don't carry big bulky things with hard edges in a pack on your back or stuffed in a riding jacket pocket. That's a recipe for producing a flail segment in your chest wall in a fall. Store the bulky shyte in a tail bag, a tank bag, whatever. It appears all you got was the equivalent of the old kidney punch that winds you - on a harder surface you might not have been so lucky.

That poor bike of yours... I don't believe they're designed to go down, but if you expect to go down, prepare the bike as best you can for that eventuality.

Put some handguards on it. It will help to prevent the fall that tears off your clutch lever... A bash plate is never a bad thing, even when you think you'll never hit a rock. And a radiator guard... a few falls like that and you'll be able to put a nice, expensive shiny new radiator on your bike to replace that old, boring functional one you have now. All of this will cost you about $300 or so.

Riding without the gear? Been there, done that about 40 years ago when I was young and stupid. Still have the scars but learned the lesson the hard way. You don't have to learn the way I did.

I totally agree. The boots are actually Gaerne's and did their job well as the feet & shins were fine as can be.

Believe it or not, I had no idea proper riding pants even had padding.. I'm getting some good pants and some sort of jacket as well as gloves.. I'm also going to get some of those handguards from Highway Dirtbikes with the flip out mirrors..

I may get a kidney belt as well depending on what I can find here on Maui..

looking forward to riding with some proper gear : )
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: First WR250R Vlog + Painful Crash in the Pinapple Fields   First WR250R Vlog + Painful Crash in the Pinapple Fields EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 1:09 pm

Dude, for all of us it's kind of a self resolving issue because, in the end, it's your skin, blood, and bones. This is one of those areas in life where we are going to take personal responsibility for our decisions whether we want to or not. And there are a wide variety of viewpoints here.

I always wore all the gear (such as it was then) back in the late 60's and early 70's racing motorcross. But I was a helmet, jeans and shirt guy when I was "just riding". Never thought I'd need it "just riding". I was pretty good, and there was no way I was going to go down "just riding".

Well, I wuz wrong. I ended up crashing harder "just riding" than I ever crashed on an MX course. Going down at about 60 mph, gravel roads have no respect for cotton shirts, jeans, and bare hands. Having large portions of the skin on your body debrided by a couple of nurses with brushes over a couple of hours to remove gravel, along with a stitch here and there, along with the healing period for all those abrasions and cuts to close up and heal over, is a life altering experience. That was my ATGATT moment.

Your mileage may vary, but I tend to pass on "fair warning" to others and then let the chips fall where they may.

You can buy pants with and without armour, as you can jackets. Going the competition type route with hard armour strapped to your body and then fabric riding pants and jersey/riding jacket over that is certainly where the greatest protection lies. The downside is that it is a rare guy who will strap all the armour on before putting on pants and a jacket to head to the store, just around the block, a little half hour ride at sunset, etc - "just riding". Guys on unplated bikes, not so much, because most can't ride from their home and already have to go through the aggro of trailering, etc., so full on armour is just part of getting ready for the ride.

Being as I'm a pretty tame guy on a bike these days, most of my riding is "just riding" type stuff; I'm basically the backroads motorcycle tourist. And if I have to go for a quart of milk and a few other things, pick up the mail, etc, I take the bike instead of the 4x4 whenever possible. I'd never put all the armour on just to do that, and I know better now.

So, jackets and pants with built in armour are the compromise. They don't offer as much impact protection as hardshell armour, but the armour is there as soon as you put your pants and jacket on. One thing you have to keep in mind when looking at riding gear with built in armour is that, if it doesn't have a means of holding the armour securely in the proper place, when you come down on your knee you may find that the armour has moved up on your thigh. If you go this route, be satisfied that the clothing you pick has the necessary straps and buckles to ensure the armour stays where it is supposed to.

I've biffed on my bike a few times, and the armour has stayed exactly where it was supposed to be. And I can get into the pants and jacket in about three minutes, so I'm never tempted to take even a short ride without the proper protective gear. And so for me, built in armour works for my everyday riding.

Meanwhile, I have no doubt that there are people here who believe that gear with built in armour is totally inadequate, and they only ride with the full meal deal. As I said, we all make our choices and then live with them when we're on motorcycles.
Back to top Go down
Kalani Prince

Kalani Prince

PostSubject: Re: First WR250R Vlog + Painful Crash in the Pinapple Fields   First WR250R Vlog + Painful Crash in the Pinapple Fields EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 1:08 am

I'd say I fall into the "just riding" category as well. On Maui 75% of my rides are within a 10 mile radius and I can see how I'd definitely start to slack if I went for the full boat armour...

I think I will do the padded pants, jacket, gloves route as well and develop the habit to always wear that setup as bare minimum..

I may get extra armor etc.. for days that I know I'll be spending in rough terrain and for the full day..

Thanks Jager, your opinion means a lot..

Kalani
Back to top Go down
SteveO

SteveO

PostSubject: slow-mo   First WR250R Vlog + Painful Crash in the Pinapple Fields EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 3:30 pm

funny, subscribed.

The bleeps were pretty funny.

I've crashed and broken two ribs at once.....definitely made it hard to breath. Now that I know what it feels like, I have better protection to avoid that kind of mishap......plus, I'm a lot slower and don't try to race with 18 year old kids.....
Back to top Go down
Kalani Prince

Kalani Prince

PostSubject: Re: First WR250R Vlog + Painful Crash in the Pinapple Fields   First WR250R Vlog + Painful Crash in the Pinapple Fields EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 6:17 am

SteveO wrote:
funny, subscribed.

The bleeps were pretty funny.

I've crashed and broken two ribs at once.....definitely made it hard to breath. Now that I know what it feels like, I have better protection to avoid that kind of mishap......plus, I'm a lot slower and don't try to race with 18 year old kids.....

ditto : )
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First WR250R Vlog + Painful Crash in the Pinapple Fields   First WR250R Vlog + Painful Crash in the Pinapple Fields Empty

Back to top Go down

First WR250R Vlog + Painful Crash in the Pinapple Fields
Page 1 of 1