Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Can we get Tapatalk?

Go down 
+7
sturgeon
deerHater
motokid
Ecarnell
SheWolf
SteveO
Mach828
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Mach828

Mach828

Can we get Tapatalk? Empty
PostSubject: Can we get Tapatalk?   Can we get Tapatalk? EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 3:08 pm

Can we get tapatalk for this forum? Its a free app for you to install that many of the most popular forums use. Its nice to keep up to date on the latest threads/posts using your smartphone or itouch.
Back to top Go down
SteveO

SteveO

PostSubject: Re: Can we get Tapatalk?   Can we get Tapatalk? EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 1:13 pm

I agree, can Tapatalk be added to this forum?

How 'bout it moderators?
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Can we get Tapatalk?   Can we get Tapatalk? EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 2:42 pm

IIRC correctly, you can't because it is a free hosted forum. If the owner upgraded it to a paid forum then one could add all kinds of stuff here. thumb

PostSubject: Re: Can we get Tapatalk?   Can we get Tapatalk? EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 4:23 pm

SheWolf wrote:
IIRC correctly, you can't because it is a free hosted forum. If the owner upgraded it to a paid forum then one could add all kinds of stuff here. thumb
?
? Two forum that I visit regularly - and "free"(?) have tapatalk. Advrider and tdiclub.

Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Can we get Tapatalk?   Can we get Tapatalk? EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 4:31 pm

Ecarnell wrote:
SheWolf wrote:
?
? Two forum that I visit regularly - and "free"(?) have tapatalk. Advrider and tdiclub.

This forum is a "free forum". It costs the Admin's nothing to run and operate. (nothing other than time)

Forums like ADVrider and others cost money. The web site (server) has a fee and in some cases the software that operates in the background costs money.

Anyone can start a free forum, but there's a limit on how much control you have as an Admin.

If you pay money for your own web site, and load your own (purchased or free) forum software you have total control.

There's a huge difference in behind the scenes maintenance too.

Does that explain it better?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Can we get Tapatalk?   Can we get Tapatalk? EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 5:05 pm

ADVrider runs on vBulletin software which costs about $200.

phpBB software is free. (look at very bottom of this forum's page. You'll see the phpBB line there.

Those are the two main forum software choices out there I'm pretty sure.

Both require that the owner of the forum has web space available. That costs money too.

These free forum sites provide it all for you. You just have to put up with ads and very limited choices for what you can and can't do.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Can we get Tapatalk?   Can we get Tapatalk? EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 6:13 pm

Thanks Ed. That's pretty much it in a nutshell. thumb

motokid

PostSubject: Re: Can we get Tapatalk?   Can we get Tapatalk? EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 6:34 pm

My pleasure ma'dam.

One thing I'm very well versed in is the free forum versus "full blown" forum difference.

Been there. Done that.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Can we get Tapatalk?   Can we get Tapatalk? EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 7:04 pm

Yeah, me too. vBulletin's nice software if you can get enuf ppl then it pays for itself (like ADV & TT). phpBB has its limitations, but it's not a bad system. Joomla...eugh... puke
But yeah, if we had members donate to the cause and stuff like what TT and ADV do, then we could have all kinds of neat little widgets and whatnot. I think tho that YamWow wanted to keep it as simple as possible, yet user friendly enuf to manage the stuff that we do on here. There's a lot of time and thought that goes into a full blown forum for it to be a total success. lurk

PostSubject: Re: Can we get Tapatalk?   Can we get Tapatalk? EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 7:35 pm

Well, How about a "Donate to the Forum" button at the bottom? Maybe as an incentive, Admin could put a shiny Gold star next to their username. On second thought, make it a shiny BLUE star. This is a Yamaha forum, Just a thought. Shog
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: Can we get Tapatalk?   Can we get Tapatalk? EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 10:51 am

whitea42 wrote:
Well, How about a "Donate to the Forum" button at the bottom?
I'd definitely kick in $20/year voluntarily, if contributions is what the site owner and moderators wanted.

I'd support whatever decision they made. This is a great forum...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can we get Tapatalk?   Can we get Tapatalk? EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 11:09 am

+10! thumb
Edit: +$20!

Last edited by whitea42 on Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : MAKING MY POST BETTERISTER)
Back to top Go down
sturgeon

sturgeon

PostSubject: Re: Can we get Tapatalk?   Can we get Tapatalk? EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 5:59 pm

Umm, near as I can tell, Tapatalk is free to forum owners. It's probably a bit of work for the admin to install, but it does support phpBB 3.0.x. Users need to pay for the app...but lots of us already have it, and it's small potato$ anyway.

http://www.tapatalk.com/faq.php
Back to top Go down
sodapop

PostSubject: Re: Can we get Tapatalk?   Can we get Tapatalk? EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 12:28 am

+1. New member, thanks for the great site. I read forums mostly from my Android phone, so Tapatalk would be fantastic. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
thunderwagn

thunderwagn

PostSubject: Re: Can we get Tapatalk?   Can we get Tapatalk? EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 7:33 pm

Tapatalk is NOT supported by Forumotion free forum software. That's why it can't be added to the forum. Forumotion's donation set up is points based. In other words, the forums founder could easily set up a donations button. Donations to the forum would be converted to "points". There are certain features that more points will allow, such as larger server space/gallery space, add free options for members and guests, and certain widgets. Unfortunately, Tapatalk is not one of them. Forumotion does not support tapatalk.
Back to top Go down
sodapop

PostSubject: Re: Can we get Tapatalk?   Can we get Tapatalk? EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 9:02 pm

thunderwagn wrote:
Tapatalk is NOT supported by Forumotion free forum software. That's why it can't be added to the forum. Forumotion's donation set up is points based. In other words, the forums founder could easily set up a donations button. Donations to the forum would be converted to "points". There are certain features that more points will allow, such as larger server space/gallery space, add free options for members and guests, and certain widgets. Unfortunately, Tapatalk is not one of them. Forumotion does not support tapatalk.

Not exactly. Forumotion is the hosting provider, not the forum software. This site uses the very common phpBB forum software. Scroll down to the bottom of the page. See the phpBB link? Click it.

Tapatalk supports phpBB, and is free to the site. See: http://www.tapatalk.com/pricing.php. Forum readers can choose to download a free Tapatalk app that is ad-supported, or pay a couple bucks for a version without ads. Again, there is no cost to the site owner. There are ways a site owner can generate revenue from Tapatalk, from simple ad revenue to buying "custom" site-branded Tapatalk apps sold in Android and iOS app stores.

I'm not affiliated with Tapatalk, I just like using their software.
Back to top Go down
thunderwagn

thunderwagn

PostSubject: Re: Can we get Tapatalk?   Can we get Tapatalk? EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 9:33 pm

sodapop wrote:
thunderwagn wrote:

Not exactly. Forumotion is the hosting provider, not the forum software. This site uses the very common phpBB forum software. Scroll down to the bottom of the page. See the phpBB link? Click it.

Tapatalk supports phpBB, and is free to the site. See: http://www.tapatalk.com/pricing.php. Forum readers can choose to download a free Tapatalk app that is ad-supported, or pay a couple bucks for a version without ads. Again, there is no cost to the site owner. There are ways a site owner can generate revenue from Tapatalk, from simple ad revenue to buying "custom" site-branded Tapatalk apps sold in Android and iOS app stores.

I'm not affiliated with Tapatalk, I just like using their software.

Quote :
Not exactly. Forumotion is the hosting provider, not the forum software

Lol, if you want to get technical. I was merely trying to explain it a bit easier.

I use Tapatalk on my device. It's great. It's still not supported by forumotion regardless of being supported by phpBB software. I've tried several times on the forumotion site/forum to get them to support it...I'm a forum admin on a forumotion supported site, so I'm very familiar with it's capabilities. My guess would be tapatalk server script code would have to written...and server space.
Back to top Go down
Reserector

Reserector

PostSubject: Re: Can we get Tapatalk?   Can we get Tapatalk? EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 9:08 pm

I have Tapatalk on my MyBB powered forums, so I understand that an Admin has to install the software in the forums' FOLDERS. On a forum where the HOSTING is free, the Admins may not have access or permission to do such an installation.
Is that the reason? Not trying ot beat a dead horse. Just trying to get a clear understanding. Shog
Back to top Go down
thunderwagn

thunderwagn

PostSubject: Re: Can we get Tapatalk?   Can we get Tapatalk? EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 10:30 am

Reserector wrote:
I have Tapatalk on my MyBB powered forums, so I understand that an Admin has to install the software in the forums' FOLDERS. On a forum where the HOSTING is free, the Admins may not have access or permission to do such an installation.
Is that the reason? Not trying ot beat a dead horse. Just trying to get a clear understanding. Shog

Basically you are correct. While there are lots of customizations possible through CSS, html and java script, implementing Tapatalk isn't one of them. It's pretty silly in my opinion that Forumotion has not picked up the ball on this one.
Back to top Go down
nozzle

PostSubject: Re: Can we get Tapatalk?   Can we get Tapatalk? EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 7:45 pm

figured I'd kick this can again to see if anything changed to make tapatalk an attractive widget. -Noz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can we get Tapatalk?   Can we get Tapatalk? Empty

Back to top Go down

Can we get Tapatalk?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum :: Forum :: Forum Problems, Suggestions, Helpful Hints?-
Jump to: