Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Do i really want an X?

Go down 
+5
john92
Dancamp
velox
GaryH
skysurfer2010
9 posters
AuthorMessage
skysurfer2010

Do i really want an X? Empty
PostSubject: Do i really want an X?   Do i really want an X? EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 7:48 pm

I've been currently patiently looking around for a WRR. I've wanted one for a while now and finally am in a position to get one. I'm moving into Philly next month (in the city) and will probably end up riding more roads than initially planned. Initially since I live in Jersey and theres a lot of great trail riding locally I wanted the WRR. Now that my location is moving I'm wondering if the X will be the better choice?

I've never ridden any motorcycle before. The thought of tossing a WRX through some tight twisties sounds awesome, but I also know on occasion I'll want to do some trail riding. I'll probably be 75% road and 25% trail. I can also see myself getting into some trouble finding some steps, trying wheelies, and maybe some slow speed stunting attempts in a safe environment. I could also see myself buying a set of rims and tires for the opposite (knobbies if i buy the X or slicks if I buy the R) but that wouldn't be for a little while into the future.

So i guess my question is which would be the better bike for me? Does the R have good enough grip to try some light stunting on? I have a friend who has a husky that rides with a few other guys in Jersey which consists of a few KLX and WRR. Would the X be able to keep up with them on some light trails or is the X suited mostly just for fire roads?

Sorry for the questions that have been asked a billion times already. I just can't make up my darn mind!
Back to top Go down
GaryH

GaryH

PostSubject: Re: Do i really want an X?   Do i really want an X? EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 8:05 pm

skysurfer2010 wrote:
I've been currently patiently looking around for a WRR. I've wanted one for a while now and finally am in a position to get one. I'm moving into Philly next month (in the city) and will probably end up riding more roads than initially planned. Initially since I live in Jersey and theres a lot of great trail riding locally I wanted the WRR. Now that my location is moving I'm wondering if the X will be the better choice?

I've never ridden any motorcycle before. The thought of tossing a WRX through some tight twisties sounds awesome, but I also know on occasion I'll want to do some trail riding. I'll probably be 75% road and 25% trail. I can also see myself getting into some trouble finding some steps, trying wheelies, and maybe some slow speed stunting attempts in a safe environment. I could also see myself buying a set of rims and tires for the opposite (knobbies if i buy the X or slicks if I buy the R) but that wouldn't be for a little while into the future.

So i guess my question is which would be the better bike for me? Does the R have good enough grip to try some light stunting on? I have a friend who has a husky that rides with a few other guys in Jersey which consists of a few KLX and WRR. Would the X be able to keep up with them on some light trails or is the X suited mostly just for fire roads?

Sorry for the questions that have been asked a billion times already. I just can't make up my darn mind!

Riding a bike well takes years of experience. Sorry to be blunt, but since you have never ridden a bike before, start with off road. Trees stand still, cages try to kill you!
Back to top Go down
velox

PostSubject: Re: Do i really want an X?   Do i really want an X? EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 9:33 pm

To be honest once you get the "opposite tires" there will not be a lot of difference.

The main difference is cosmetics and the following

X has one less tooth on the rear sprocket to compensate for the smaller wheel diameter.
X for the slightly larger front brake rotor

X has a black frame, shocks and swing arm.

There are a few other minor differences but these are the main ones.

If you intend to do mostly 75% street I'd get the X because you mostly use Front brakes on the street.
Dirt riding you will mostly use the rear brakes, but having big front ones will not hurt anything (rear brakes same on both models).

Remember riding street and dirt is very different. You should take a Motorcycle safety course and a dirt course.
This will help your skills improve way faster than trying to figure it out yourself.

I was in your situation a few years ago and I bought the X because I do 80% street.
I bought a fully swappable set of wheels/tires from www.wheelingcyclesupply.com and they swap out in 30m.
Ask for Forrest, he is a great guy and knows the WR250's very well.

Finally here is another thread for you to read up on.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=338402

Notice some guys ride w/ the huge fat front tires. That is because they only swapped the tires.
If you do it properly you will see that on the very bottom of the first page is Forrest's bike and he has new front rims.
He swaps out both the rim and tires so you do not need to re-mount the tires. This is the setup I have.

The wr250 is a great first bike.
BTW how tall are you?
Back to top Go down
velox

PostSubject: Re: Do i really want an X?   Do i really want an X? EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 9:45 pm

I forgot to answer your other questions.

The wr250x is not a fast bike. It is not the best bike for freeway speeds.
It is a very good bike for low speeds.

In the dirt it can handle well on fire roads. It is less suitable for difficult trails.
Finally don't even think about taking it on an MX course.
I did and dang it felt like a tank!

Think of the wr250 as a can-do-bike.

It can do everything... but it can't do anything super good.

Example is
it can do the freeway, but not the best.
it can do supermoto, but not the best.
it can do trails, but not the best.

it really can do everything... (fill in blank here)

Obviously this is a great bike if you can only have 1 bike.
Reality is that it is not the best bike for any one task.
It is the best bike for multiple tasks.

If I had to do it all over I'd still buy this as my first bike.
I still have this bike and use it primarily for supermoto and dirt trails.
I also have a 2nd bike more for freeways and track days.
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

PostSubject: Re: Do i really want an X?   Do i really want an X? EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 9:51 pm

I bought an X for two reasons.

First I had a deal.

Second, exactly for the sane reason you have, doing road most of the time. I bought a seconfd wheel set for the trail.

The X tires for the road last a lot longer tnan any of the dual purpose tire that you can find. Even with the X road tires, you can manage to go through many trails as long as they are dry, not grass based and without deep sand.

Thare is no motorcycle that does it all perfectly. The Wr is the best for everything as long as performance is not what feeds you. It has all that's needed related to adventure motorcycle except performance on the highway. It's faster and easier than the GS in the tight trails. It can do asphalt all day long at 65 m/hre. It is a 250cc so don't expect it to have you win over a 600cc reacer.

The best way I can describe it is a fun, easy, low maintenance adventure bike for people that like to enjoy trail and see what is on each side of the road.
Back to top Go down
velox

PostSubject: Re: Do i really want an X?   Do i really want an X? EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 9:55 pm

Oh yea I did forget to mention compare to other bikes KTM, Husky, etc...

Maintenance is seriously non-existent.

Oil change and um... what else? Put fuel in the tank?
Back to top Go down
skysurfer2010

PostSubject: Re: Do i really want an X?   Do i really want an X? EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 10:14 pm

Thanks guys I've done my homework and I've been a fan of these bikes since they came out in 08. I'm fully aware of their limitations and honestly that's part of the reason I want one. I don't foresee myself going on the highway with it unless I have to. This is going to be ( for lack of a better term) a toy for me. I will use it to get around the city a bit, but for the most part it's going to be used to zip around on, some light trails (no mx), and probably some stuff I shouldn't be ( wheelies, etc). I don't care about speed. I'm coming from a stand up jet skis scene and if you know anything at all about that cult you'll fully understand why I want a WR.

I will be taking the motorcycle safety course.

How long do the tires in the WRR last?

Velox- any pics of your dirt setup?
Back to top Go down
velox

PostSubject: Re: Do i really want an X?   Do i really want an X? EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 2:38 am

Sorry no pics. But my setup looks just like Forrests since I bought it from him.

Do i really want an X? Picture1-4

BTW the wr250x makes a great stunting bike.
Check out

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/forumdisplay.php?42-Yamaha

That is a more supermoto website
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

PostSubject: Re: Do i really want an X?   Do i really want an X? EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 10:44 am

skysurfer2010 wrote:
..... I don't foresee myself going on the highway with it unless I have to.....

...How long do the tires in the WRR last?...

Don't get me wrong. There is no problem going on the highway with the WR. It just doesn't ride it like a big cube. I can easily keep between 65 and 70 mph without problems.

For the tires it is tightly related to the riding style, temperature and surface on which you ride. The difference can be from simple to double.
Back to top Go down
skysurfer2010

PostSubject: Re: Do i really want an X?   Do i really want an X? EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 12:40 pm

Thanks! Is it true it's cheaper to convert the x to dirt (complete set of tires/ rims) then it is the R to sm?
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

PostSubject: Re: Do i really want an X?   Do i really want an X? EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 4:16 pm

skysurfer2010 wrote:
Thanks! Is it true it's cheaper to convert the x to dirt (complete set of tires/ rims) then it is the R to sm?

the conversion is a little cheaper from the X to the R. If you convert from X to R the wheels are cheaper but the front disk is not. The X set of wheels is 1050$ and the R 850$ at wheeling. The front disk for the X is 145$ and 116$ for the R.
Back to top Go down
velox

PostSubject: Re: Do i really want an X?   Do i really want an X? EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 4:33 pm

But again if you want to use it for street you will want the X.

The X has bigger front disc brakes.

When riding on the street you primarily use front brakes.
When riding on dirt you use rears. That is why the R has smaller front brakes.

You would be much better off getting the X just because of those brakes.
Back to top Go down
john92

PostSubject: Re: Do i really want an X?   Do i really want an X? EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 5:10 pm

The larger front brakes shouldn't bother you if you do get the offroad wheel setup too. I guess it depends on riding style, but I use the front brake alot offroad as well.
Back to top Go down
love2lean

love2lean

PostSubject: Re: Do i really want an X?   Do i really want an X? EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 9:21 pm

velox wrote:
But again if you want to use it for street you will want the X.

The X has bigger front disc brakes.

When riding on the street you primarily use front brakes.
When riding on dirt you use rears. That is why the R has smaller front brakes.

You would be much better off getting the X just because of those brakes.

The X in my view is the perfect street weapon... it is very capable https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC_jMznc5_k Video of the first day with my bridgestone 003 rs tires street test.
Back to top Go down
love2lean

love2lean

PostSubject: Re: Do i really want an X?   Do i really want an X? EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 9:22 pm

velox wrote:
Sorry no pics. But my setup looks just like Forrests since I bought it from him.

Do i really want an X? Picture1-4

BTW the wr250x makes a great stunting bike.
Check out

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/forumdisplay.php?42-Yamaha

That is a more supermoto website

Your bike is effin sweet Velox !!!
Back to top Go down
velox

PostSubject: Re: Do i really want an X?   Do i really want an X? EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 3:40 pm

Quote :
Your bike is effin sweet Velox !!!

Sorry man but that is not my bike.

That is Forrests bike with wheelingcyclesupply.

He does have a nice bike tho. Must be lucky to own a parts shot. wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do i really want an X?   Do i really want an X? EmptyFri Feb 18, 2011 8:00 pm

the R is the better bike for you, it has plenty of grip for the street and can tackle offroad no problems. A lot of beginners start off with dual sports, they are good bikes to learn on. Has enough grip to pop wheelies and do stoppies for sure. As a new rider you won't really be pushing the higher limits of the x on pavement anyways.
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

PostSubject: Re: Do i really want an X?   Do i really want an X? EmptySat Feb 19, 2011 7:32 am

I agree that the R is ok on the road but since most of the use is on the road the X is better. The wheel diameter of the X combined with the gear ratio of the rear wheel makes it speedier on the road.

And with 17" wheels you can put tires that will last a lot longer on the road.

I would say that if the use would be 50% road than it would be a match especially if you don't plan on buying a second wheel set. Otherwise if like you said you want to be able to ride on the trail but most of the use is on the road, the X is the one.
Back to top Go down
1moreroad

PostSubject: Re: Do i really want an X?   Do i really want an X? EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 3:34 am

Don't get too hung up on new wheels yet. Ride the bike in whichever form you buy first and learn it well. An X with Distanzias can do some dirt trails (especially hard pack). And a stock R can easily ride on the street.

Also, buy used. These bikes have lousy re-sale values and there are plenty of low mileage garage queens out there. It will save you $1000 or more. In fact, don't get hung up on a WR. If you can buy a garage queen DRZ400SM for cheaper, buy it.

In addition to an MSF course, buy a good set of gear.

Finally, this will be your FIRST bike, not your last. Figure out what you like and don't like about it and see if you need something different.
Back to top Go down
rydnseek

rydnseek

PostSubject: Re: Do i really want an X?   Do i really want an X? EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 9:55 am

I've got an x outfitted for the road, my riding buddy has an R. We both ride pavement & dirt, & occasionally swap bikes. Both bikes handle everything well. Either one would be fine. I doubt you could tell much difference between them riding them back to back, & even after riding them for several years you'd be hard pressed to notice an significant difference. Get the one you like best, or that you can get the best deal on. Put tires on it that suit your riding terrain, & get out & ride!

Swapping out wheels is a lot of work for a casual rider. Many people enjoy tweaking their bikes as much as riding them. If that's you, have fun & do it. Otherwise, just get a bike & learn to ride it.

Splitting hairs with us bozos on the riding forums will only confuse you.
Back to top Go down
twday

twday

PostSubject: Re: Do i really want an X?   Do i really want an X? EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 3:02 pm

Yeah, I think you do. thumb There are good street tires for the R, but there are substantial handling advantages for the smaller, wider wheels/tires. I commute (a little this year, but when the snow is gone a lot) via city streets, freeway, and highway (depending on my schedule and mood). The X is a great commuting bike for anything under 50 miles one-way. It's tough to beat the 70+mpg and the bike will run at 75 all day.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do i really want an X?   Do i really want an X? Empty

Back to top Go down

Do i really want an X?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum :: General :: WR250X Specific-
Jump to: