Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Share | 

Power Problem

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Claus22

PostSubject: Power Problem   Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:35 pm

In the last two month I've put on a speedo healer, FMF power programmer, Q4, megabomb, & IMS tank. I did the airbox mod, removed the AIS, and did the EXUP mod with the 7.5k 1/4w resistor. Now after about 20 to 30 minutes the bike starts to loose power and eventually starts to bog all together, like it was flooding the plug. If I then turn it off for ten minutes the power is back till it heats up again then does it all over again. So I took off the PP just to see if it was the problem and it still happened. So now I thinking it might be the Megabomb being so hot and so close to the motor that the cooling system can't keep that spot on the motor cool enough. No CEL has comes up and all fuses are good. Has this happened to anyone? Is there anything else that it could be?
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Power Problem   Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:57 pm

Highly doubt it's due to the head pipe being close to the cylinder head.

I wonder if it's your fuel pump.
When there is a bad fuel pump, it is known to stop working properly according to how hot it gets.
Once it cools down, the bike runs fine, again.
Back to top Go down
RimBenty

PostSubject: Re: Power Problem   Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:15 pm

Do you think it's over heating? If so did you check your coolant level? You should get a high temperature indication on the display.

Will it still idle normally?
Will it rev up in neutral or with the clutch pulled in? (Trans or drive train issue?)
Wouldn't hurt to recheck all of your electrical connections.

In the troubleshooting section of the manual for poor medium and high speed performance it lists the fuel pump, throttle body, and ECM. None of them are cheap.
Back to top Go down
Claus22

PostSubject: Re: Power Problem   Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:57 pm

I hope its not the fuel pump. I've never not heard it come on when turning the key. It idles fine when the problem is happening but it won't rev up in neutral or with clutch pulled. Just pulled the plug (witch I replaced less than 2000 miles ago) and it seemed very white like it is running real lean. So I put the PP back on and set it to 5,6,3,8,4.5,4.5 to enrich the mix with no luck. If I turn it off for just a minute its OK for a while. Also it has really been less than 2 weeks with the pipe and muffler and the problem started right after I put them on. If it is the pump, throttle body,or ECM it picked a great time. Is there a way to test these parts?
Back to top Go down
Claus22

PostSubject: Re: Power Problem   Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:18 pm

coolant is full in the overflow tank and radiator and no high temp shown
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

PostSubject: Re: Power Problem   Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:16 pm

Stick your finger up the tailpipe and I'm betting it's black and sooty
I'm betting it's the fuel controller making the bike extremely rich
Cant help you fix it but if it's the black finger diagnosis, disco the controller and take the bike for an easy ride and see if the problem goes away
Back to top Go down
RimBenty

PostSubject: Re: Power Problem   Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:07 pm

Usually when the fuel pump acts up the motor won't, run so you can probably eliminate that.

Try the diagnostic mode when it's acting up and see if it shows anything Diag Link
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Power Problem   Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:17 am

Whatever it ends-up being, let us know because it's a bummer when the solution is never explained afterwards. thumb

Are both of the battery leads tight, by the way?
Back to top Go down
Claus22

PostSubject: Re: Power Problem   Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:31 pm

Both leads are tight. If I find a fix I will definitely post it. I still think it is running lean, I can not get any soot at all out of the tail pipe. I don't really understand the diag mode. But thanks for the link
Back to top Go down
RimBenty

PostSubject: Re: Power Problem   Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:51 pm

Claus22 wrote:
I don't really understand the diag mode. But thanks for the link
The diagnostic mode is on the speedometer. If you take it to the dealer it is probably the first thing they will check
Back to top Go down
Claus22

PostSubject: Re: Power Problem   Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:35 pm

OK I think I get it now, mode 61 showed code 21 & 30. 21 showed up when I disconnected the coolant temp sensor to check if it was working,it is. 30 is the lean sensor and that may have come on when I did the taco mod or tach mod. Dose the lean sensor affect the fuel or ignition? And could it have anything to co with power loss?
Back to top Go down
RimBenty

PostSubject: Re: Power Problem   Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:45 pm

The lean angle sensor cuts the bike off when it's laying on it's side. It doesn't have anything to do with the fuel mixture.

If you are pretty sure it's running lean you may need to check the fuel pressure regulator. Which would mean testing it when it’s acting up?

Do you have the service manual? Svc Manual Link
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

PostSubject: Re: Power Problem   Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:52 am

Always diagnose by backing up through your mods
Disco the fuel controller and ride it, if the bike is good then at least you know it's the controller
Internet diagnostics are very time consuming
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Power Problem   Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:24 am

He did, and still had the problem. Please keep us posted, Claus.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Power Problem   Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:12 am

Have you checked, rechecked, and triple checked all the hoses and connections from your removal of the AIS crap?

Are you sure you don't have an opening that should be plugged? A vacuum line that's open?

Something not plugged or capped off that should be?

I would definitely start working towards reversing the mods you made and taking things back to stock.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Claus22

PostSubject: Re: Power Problem   Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:16 pm

The problem has become worse. Soon as I start the bike I can't give it gas without it bogging. It runs best with the programmer at 8,8,8 .5,.5,.5, but even with the PP turned all the way up it still bogs down. And when I try to lower it it gets worse. I checked all the caps I've put on and even though they seemed fine I replaced them. I'm at a loss. Should I put it all back to stock and hope it returns to normal or take it to Yamaha.
Back to top Go down
RimBenty

PostSubject: Re: Power Problem   Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:44 pm

I hate to say it but take it to the dealer. GAHHHH

That would be the fastest way to get it back on the road. It could be a number of things, electronic or mechanical, and they have the tools to figure out what it is. Hopefully it will be something simple.
Back to top Go down
Claus22

PostSubject: Re: Power Problem   Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:54 pm

OK, I'll let you know what they say.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Power Problem   Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:33 pm

Claus22 wrote:
I'm at a loss. Should I put it all back to stock and hope it returns to normal or take it to Yamaha.
Depends on how impatient you are.

You can put it all back to stock and see if the problem goes away. Obviously, if that cures things the problem is something you did when doing the mods. If it doesn't, then you can decide how to take it to a dealership. You can take it back stock and say it doesn't run stock after being returned to that configuration, or you can take it to them with all the mods and say you want it running properly again with the mods as is. The bill might be higher when they're working on a modded bike that introduces other factors into their troubleshooting, however.

But if you've run out of ideas, then it is probably a dealer solution, in one configuration or another.
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

PostSubject: Re: Power Problem   Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:52 am

It may sound weird but it is good that it is getting worse (from a diagnostic point of view) a rule of thumb is that mechanical problems always get worse, never better
The worst problem is one that a dealer cannot duplicate, yours will barely run so should be measureable
I think you have a lack of fuel pressure by the sounds of it
Is it possible you got water in the tank?
Did the problem start with the last fuel up?
Back to top Go down
Claus22

PostSubject: Re: Power Problem   Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:45 am

I don't think I got water in the tank, but I guess it could be possible. I've filled up the tank 2 or 3 times since the first time it happened. I feel it is a fuel problem now too. If it is running lean, could I have damaged the engine? And if there is damage occurring could it happen without a CEL showing up?
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

PostSubject: Re: Power Problem   Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:35 pm

Water is heavier than fuel so it wil go right to the bottom, you could try tipping the tank so the water would flow to a corner and syphon a sample from there
If water got into the rail it is so much denser than fuel that it might not even go through the injector
Pour through additives won't do anything for this
It just sounds like you have a lean condition and it has gotten progressively worse, water would do this
I doubt you would have engine damage if this was the problem
It would not be hard to pull the rail, remove the injector and take a sample of fuel but I would carefully inspect the tank for water first, don't just pour everything out, catch every drop
Back to top Go down
RimBenty

PostSubject: Re: Power Problem   Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:35 pm

Running the engine lean causes higher combustion temperatures. This causes preignition and excessive piston temperatures. In some cases it will melt a hole in the top of the piston or it may damage it. This is usually seen in 2-strokes because they need oil in the fuel which burns off at the higher temperatures and they are usually run at higher RPMs.
If your cooling system is working properly it may not cause the engine to overheat so you might not get a CEL. If you've been through a couple of tanks of fuel I doubt it's water but 0007 may know something I don't.

Have you noticed any smoke from the exhaust? That would be an indication of engine damage.

Back to top Go down
Claus22

PostSubject: Re: Power Problem   Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:39 pm

No smoke. I ended up taking to the dealer to have them sort it out. There going to look at it Friday is what they told me. I'll let you know what they say.
Back to top Go down
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Power Problem   Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:51 am

Could you have possibly damaged the fuel pump, or crimped a fuel line when removing the stock fuel tank and replaced it with the IMS tank?

You have messed with a lot of things in all your mods.

Do you know anybody with the tools to do a compression test on your cylinder?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Power Problem   

Back to top Go down

Power Problem
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next