Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Share | 

Power Problem

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Claus22

PostSubject: Re: Power Problem   Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:18 pm

So I just talked to the Tech and he said that the fuel pressure is good. Compression was at 100 which is low but not terrible. Did a leak down test and piston and rings are good, suspect that the loss of compression is from the valves. They took off the programmer and adjusted the CO level to 18%. He rode it around for an hour and a half with only a slight miss after dropping the clutch in 1st but then runs through the rest of the gears just fine. I asked them to do a valve adjustment to try to bring up compression. I'll let you know how it goes.
Back to top Go down
Claus22

PostSubject: Re: Power Problem   Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:26 pm

So I got it back and it is riding pretty good. They adjusted the exhaust valves which were tight, removed the power programmer and turned the CO up to 80. The stock CO level on my bike was -7. I talked to the tech and he said that Yamaha engineered the bike with the AIS system to inject air when the computer sensed it needed more. Along with other valves (I took off )that adjusted air flow to smooth out throttle response. He was not allowed to tell me all of the adjustments he made. I know that 1 of the adjustments was the CO level, and he made 3 or 4 more that I don't have clearance for. I'm going to ride it around for a while to see how it goes and then maybe try putting the PP back on. The tech said he tuned it for the mods that are on it right now and if anything is added it will be through off. Oh well.
Back to top Go down
Midnite171

PostSubject: Re: Power Problem   Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:21 pm

Claus22, I'm not sure if this could be relevant, but I'll share anyway.

A couple years ago I seemed to have the same issue with my 86 Honda Shadow. It would run fine for a little bit and then other times it wouldn't run beyond an idle. Took the carbs off, soaked em, sprayed em out, put em back on and it had the same issues. Well, I brought my bike to my buddy who is a bike mechanic and he said it WAS the carbs. I told him I already cleaned the shit out of em and he said he's going to do it anyway. Well, He not only cleaned the carbs, he unscrewed all the jets and blew em out with some high pressure air. That was the problem. I had some gunk from crappy gas in there that took a lot to de-gunkify. I know we all have fuel injection but I also want to tell you is that my fuel injectors on my old Camaro had the same type of issues. The injectors got gunked up some how and needed to be blown out. Just wondering what type of injectors we have and maybe they need to be blown out. And lesson learned, whether it's a carbed or an FI'd bike, I now use fuel stablizer. (While storing through the winter months).

Last edited by Midnite171 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Claus22

PostSubject: Re: Power Problem   Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:54 pm

Yea its amazing how just one little hole clogged up can drastically effect how the bike runs. I would hope the technician checked the injector but since it did not show up on the bill it probably was not. The bike is running good now but I'll keep it in mind if it starts happening again. Thanks

Today I'm the proud owner of a 70's Honda Trail 70 been wanting one for years. wings Just had to tell someone.
Back to top Go down
RimBenty

PostSubject: Re: Power Problem   Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:36 pm

Claus22 wrote:
So I got it back and it is riding pretty good. They adjusted the exhaust valves which were tight, removed the power programmer and turned the CO up to 80. The stock CO level on my bike was -7. I talked to the tech and he said that Yamaha engineered the bike with the AIS system to inject air when the computer sensed it needed more. Along with other valves (I took off )that adjusted air flow to smooth out throttle response. He was not allowed to tell me all of the adjustments he made. I know that 1 of the adjustments was the CO level, and he made 3 or 4 more that I don't have clearance for. I'm going to ride it around for a while to see how it goes and then maybe try putting the PP back on. The tech said he tuned it for the mods that are on it right now and if anything is added it will be through off. Oh well.

I'm glad it's running again.
It's possible the exhaust valves caused the problem. If they’re tight with the engine cold, once it warms up they may not seal and the bike will lose power.
The CO setting only changes the mixture at idle so I don't think that was the problem.

The secret stuff he can't tell you about sounds like BS to me. What happens if he tells you? I doubt he would get fired. Could be he found something simple and doesn’t want to tell you what it was. I have never had any mechanic say he can't tell me what he fixed. If he did I would probably say I can only pay 60% of the bill because he doesn't have the clearance for the other 40% dddog
Back to top Go down
Midnite171

PostSubject: Re: Power Problem   Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:19 pm

Yeah, I would tell him that I'm only paying for only what is written on the bill as being repaired or adjusted.
Back to top Go down
Claus22

PostSubject: Re: Power Problem   Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:28 pm

I put the power programmer back on and so far its running real good. The throttle response feels much better and it just seems to run through the gears quicker. I've only been on one ride since I put it on so I'll need a few more to make sure the problem doesn't come back but I'm feeling pretty confident. Right now the PP is set at 3,2,.5,8,4,4. I guess the best part is that it's not a useless $200 part.
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

PostSubject: Re: Power Problem   Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:39 am

Ya I don't get it
It was either broke or it wasn't, if it works now they must have fixed it or it was a phantom that they fixed without realizing it
I would bet the house it did not have a tight enough valve to run poorly
I have never met a tech that can't tell you what was wrong, and I know a hundred of them
Also the air injection system has nothing to do with the running condition of the bike
There is also very little to adjust on the modern fuel injected motorcycle so there is no way to just tweak a few things to make it run better
Now i'm curious
Back to top Go down
Claus22

PostSubject: Re: Power Problem   Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:13 pm

The tech made it sound like he worked on it a lot longer than they charged me for. Something like 8 hours but only charged for 3. I'm not saying that he didn't but I feel like there was a real easy fix or adjustment that for some reason he won't tell me. Maybe because it took him 8 hours to find that easy fix. Or because I live in CA and our F-ing environmental restrictions are much harder on shops. Or maybe he won't tell me so I'll think I have to take it back to him if I want to do any more mods.
I read on a post somewhere that a bike was starting to have the same issue mine just went through after doing pretty much the same mods. I don't want to jinx him but some day we may have a better answer to this problem.
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: Power Problem   Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:52 pm

Or may be he found a connection that was ass backward at first glance, fixed it and charged you 3 hours for five minutes work. Taking yur bike to a dealer can be scary!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Power Problem   

Back to top Go down

Power Problem
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2