Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Fuel Mileage

Go down 
+63
TwoBuells
mekros
raymondhenson
oic0
Biglake
crashmaster
chuckP
Krispy
TBird1
justmpg
ibismojo
Farmer17
rokka
Mr.Metal
Sloth
Dancamp
Ryan Nelson
motokid
Matty
PooTeeTat
Medski
Akasy
Jersey Devil
WRoldman
duanew
YZEtc
keith_mahoney
clint
Hetch
grubbie
BlueAngel
Crazy Monkey
xcel
jason meacham
Jäger
subedai
ve2yag
derm75
Max Pwr
GsVs
greer
superbee24
David Haynes
10Cup
texascycle
craigq
WeaveR
1moreroad
Machtig
flatboarder
essadv
mfrankpdx
0007onWR
Addicted
inspector
lotsofwheels
shredak
ZED
Krabill
SheWolf
SpiritWolf15
mwakey
Reschly
67 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
SpiritWolf15

SpiritWolf15

Fuel Mileage - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 04, 2010 11:25 pm

Krabill wrote:
No, you shouldn't expect to get any better than that. These people getting 70-80mpg must ride it like a moped, downhill, with a tail wind.

Every normal human I know that has a WRR gets in the 50-60 range and always has.

Hell I get 56 on my over the hill XT350, you're telling me that a state of the art LC 250 only gets marginally better fuel mileage? I call bull shit man.

And for the record, my moped gets an average of about 100mpg with normal city riding.
Back to top Go down
Hetch

Hetch

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 4 EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 5:12 pm

I ride the bike stock. At least until after the warranty.
Just clicked over 1K on the odometer.
My buddy and I ride the same model and our lights come on within minutes of each other.
Mine usually first, causa my fat ass. Can I say that on the radio?

Anyhow, we rode from Madison Wisconsin to Minnesota to do the Thielman trail ride. Couple hundred miles over.
40 Miles of ridiculously great riding and a couple hundred back. That is what the bike is for, no.
(Side note - if you ever get the chance, do this ride. excellent!)

Mileage - around 50 on the trails. Strong winds on the ride home and around 50 on the streets too.
Usually better than that on the streets, but man my butt was killing me. I was praying for stop lights and gas stations.
So here is some praise for the little gas tank.

Is there a cheaper alternative to the airhawk?
Back to top Go down
clint

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 4 EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 10:22 pm

Tibarus wrote:
Krabill wrote:
No, you shouldn't expect to get any better than that. These people getting 70-80mpg must ride it like a moped, downhill, with a tail wind.

Every normal human I know that has a WRR gets in the 50-60 range and always has.

Hell I get 56 on my over the hill XT350, you're telling me that a state of the art LC 250 only gets marginally better fuel mileage? I call bull shit man.

And for the record, my moped gets an average of about 100mpg with normal city riding.

I just went for a ride through the Hatchee National Forest today and had the low fuel light come on at 78miles.

Went 3.8 miles on reserve and put 1.53gal in or I wouldn't have made it back home.

That averages out to what, 48.75MPG? lol
Back to top Go down
SpiritWolf15

SpiritWolf15

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 9:01 pm

I don't know how you people are managing to get worse average MPG than my 15 year old XT... What are you people doing, taking it to the limiter 100% of the time? Fuel Mileage - Page 4 Icon_scratch
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 9:03 pm

Mmmm...cheeseburgers.... Fuel Mileage - Page 4 810411

SpiritWolf15

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 10:58 pm

SheWolf wrote:

Don't forget the bacon and fried chicken... Fuel Mileage - Page 4 851577

So fuel mileage test. If you guys are only getting 45-55 mpg average, you are now officially only getting MARGINALLY better MPG than my 1982 BMW R65LS.

Congrats...
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 11:26 pm

Hi Tibarus:

While BMW’s offer excellent fuel economy for a given engines output (thanks mainly to the high tech FI engines as of late), they are not quite as fun in the tight stuff including heavy traffic congestion. And no, an R80 G/S through the latest G 650 GS/F 800 GS/1200 GS/1200 GS Adventure will not match the WR250’s in the fuel economy department. Closer at higher speeds but not quite the same FE in my limited experience.

BMW’s are all about hitting the open road or groomed trail with a great amount of comfort and minimal amount of rider input… WR’s are all about having fun discovering a new locale with no roads or taking on the worst traffic in anyone’s daily grind with a flick of the wrist and a tap of the shifter.

Both have their strengths and I am a huge BMW GS fan but FE against a WR is not something I would brag about Fuel Mileage - Page 4 810411

Wayne
Back to top Go down
SpiritWolf15

SpiritWolf15

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 1:12 am

xcel wrote:
Hi Tibarus:

While BMW’s offer excellent fuel economy for a given engines output (thanks mainly to the high tech FI engines as of late), they are not quite as fun in the tight stuff including heavy traffic congestion. And no, an R80 G/S through the latest G 650 GS/F 800 GS/1200 GS/1200 GS Adventure will not match the WR250’s in the fuel economy department. Closer at higher speeds but not quite the same FE in my limited experience.

BMW’s are all about hitting the open road or groomed trail with a great amount of comfort and minimal amount of rider input… WR’s are all about having fun discovering a new locale with no roads or taking on the worst traffic in anyone’s daily grind with a flick of the wrist and a tap of the shifter.

Both have their strengths and I am a huge BMW GS fan but FE against a WR is not something I would brag about Fuel Mileage - Page 4 810411

Wayne

Yeah thats what I'm saying, these guys claiming they are only getting 45-55 mpg on their super modern top of the line LC 250 singles is total bunk. I get 46-47 mpg average on my 1982 air cooled boxer 650. and about 56mpg on my 15 year old XT350. SO how are these guys only getting 45-55 mpg?
Back to top Go down
keith_mahoney

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 1:28 am

Tibarus wrote:
xcel wrote:
Hi Tibarus:

Wayne

Yeah thats what I'm saying, these guys claiming they are only getting 45-55 mpg on their super modern top of the line LC 250 singles is total bunk. I get 46-47 mpg average on my 1982 air cooled boxer 650. and about 56mpg on my 15 year old XT350. SO how are these guys only getting 45-55 mpg?

I think way too many people are just dialing in too much fuel with their controllers. Tuning it on a dyno would probably result in much better mileage.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 6:35 am

Depends on how you ride the bike.
If you rarely use full throttle while accelerating, you can get super-duper milage.
Myself, I get around 42 mpg, but I can accept that. :)
Back to top Go down
duanew

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 9:37 am

keith_mahoney wrote:
I think way too many people are just dialing in too much fuel with their controllers. Tuning it on a dyno would probably result in much better mileage.

This may be true. I used some of the settings that other people were using and I could smell fuel in my clothes at the end of riding. I was also getting some soot at the tailpipe exit. I have leaned it out a little bit since then.

I get about 55 or 56 mpg but I am very hard on the throttle. I have never gotten less than 50 mpg.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 11:12 am

Fuel Mileage - Page 4 61865 I don't have my settings maxxed out for performance, it's on the economy setting. I feel that even with it at that setting, this thing's got a ton of snort for when I need it, and then get out and ride without sucking my tank dry after. This bike can get incredible fuel mileage, as both Wayne, myself, and others, have been able to do. Sure... if I ride it like I raped it all the time (which I do when I'm muddin' Fuel Mileage - Page 4 810411 ) my economy would drop off, but even still, I haven't dropped below 70.

inspector

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 2:24 pm

divide by 2 then multiply by pie, after subtracting the derivative of course....yep, I get the same thing.

What? That doesn't make sense? Then your not doing it right.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 9:09 pm

Fuel Mileage - Page 4 Proble10

WRoldman

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 11:21 am

How can a dinosaur of a machine get mileage that is even comparable to a modern state of the art vehicle? Emission requirements. Every emissions control devise hampers fuel economy. Ironically that means more consuming & busier refineries.
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 11:50 am

Hi WRoldman:

While true in the packaging, without emission controls, the US and Canada would be almost unlivable just as some of China’s inner cities are today. That said, our bikes are far more polluting than our cars due to a minimalist approach to these same controls. I read a CARB study a few years back that indicated 10% of California's air pollution is caused by motorcycles which make up just 3% of the registered vehicles on the road... And we know the VMT (Vehicle Miles Traveled) of the bikes are far less than 3%.

While the WR does not use emissions feedback control w/ multiple O2 sensors, includes a bare bones CAT and the bare minimum of evap controls, what it does have reduces SMOG forming emissions to levels almost unheard of from any vehicle just 40-years ago. Another point to make regarding emission controls is the following:

If you had to pipe your bikes exhaust into your home, would you rather do it with or without the emissions controls still intact?

The following link provides a detailed accounting of an incident worth reading and why today we have such stringent yet much needed emissions control regulations…

DONORA SMOG Kills 20 - October, 1948

Finally, when you look around the WR and ADV – WR forums, you will find most receive less fuel economy after they have removed the emissions control devices than more.

Wayne
Back to top Go down
grubbie

grubbie

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 8:16 pm

This subject has been beaten to death on the other forums.....I get about 55 mpg, a couple more if I ride less aggressive, a couple less if I ride more aggressive. Seems that is the average. SW claims much more mpg than that, fine. Tib claims more than that, fine. But most people get what I get, my bike is bone stock right now. it just occurs to me that mpg isn't the reason most people buy this particular bike.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 8:19 pm

No, maybe not, but it certainly doesn't hurt to know that it gets better fuel economy out of the crate than any other DS in its class. Fuel Mileage - Page 4 61865

grubbie

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 8:53 pm

And what class is that? The only bike I consider to be in the same class is the DRZ 400. While it is a higher quality bike than other DS 250's in my opinion, the XT250 I had got close to 70 mpg out of the crate, the CRF 230 gets 70, the sherpa 250 Im sure is close to that, as well as the DR200. As I said, these are numbers out of the box. My WR (totally stock), and most everyone elses, gets about 55. Wayne gets great mileage by hyper miling, which is a whole different ball of wax. If you are getting 70 without semi-hypermiling, then good for you! I can't do it. For me to get 70 I would have to keep the rpm's very low and probably never go faster than 50. I don't ride that way. I wish I could get that kind of mileage with this dinky-ass gas tank. I still wouldn't complain at 40 mpg,.....this thing is a blast to ride.
Back to top Go down
WRoldman

WRoldman

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 9:27 pm

Wayne:

Really. You felt it was necessary to give me the GREEN sermon. Very presumptuous. My issue with current emission devices is congruent with my issues of calling an electric vehicle "ZERO EMISSIONS". Moving it one way or the other down the chain does not count. All I'm saying.
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 9:29 pm

Hi Grubbie:

While 100 mpg is a tough nut to crack when on the WR250R/X vs. the rest, riding sensibly should get you to 70 mpg without too much effort. Hypermiling is not a whole other ball of wax; it just takes some patience and knowing what to do when an impediment ahead can be taken advantage of…

An analogy… The WR250R/X is like a Corvette amongst a sea of Camry’s (DR200) and Accord’s (CRF230L) to maybe a Taurus SHO (KLX250SF). All have their strengths including lower prices and higher fuel economy but they do not have the 10 to 40% more punch out of the crate that the WR offers.

The WR is actually harder to ride for fuel economy because you can feel those high lift cams begin working their magic above 40 mph all the while they begin sucking fuel down to make sure the fractional amount of extra G’s are instantly available that the rest of the 250 class cannot offer without a lot of modification.

All said, 55 mpg on a WR in a mixed riding regiment is not all that bad. In my ride of the XT250 two years back, it took a 40% haircut once taken off the pavement. That does not mean there is not more available but 55 is not bad.

WRoldman, I was only putting emissions controls into perspective. Sorry for sounding preachy...

Wayne
Back to top Go down
Jersey Devil

Jersey Devil

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 9:46 pm

The last 2 weekends I have done a lot of asphalt riding and steady throttle for 40+ miles at a time in one particular area. Biggest difference I have found was running non-ethanol blended fuel vs 10% blended. I got a considereable amount farther per tank with real gasoline.
And for as much shit that has happened with BP lately (dont start on that topic please) I tend to search for their stations first for their 93 grade fuel. That is only because of working in tank farms with Colonial Pipeline Company and testing fuels for them and the Marine Corps Aviation fuels I know I preferr to run the Amoco/BP water white 93 grade fuel over Exonn/Mobil and other companies fuel.
Numbers? Well, going off of the bikes count on its computer, it seems with 10% blended I was seeing the lamp come on around 94 miles. With the non blended fuel I was concerned while on poker runs over the weekend that I did not see the light come on. Finally around 120 or so it came on. Found a BP station filled up and only took about 1.75 gallons. Last time I had seen this type of mileage was when it was new.
I recently did an oil/filter change but I doubt it had anything to do with it. I still think it is in the fuel type.
Still need to change the spark plug and to remove and clean the air filter element-any benefit to running a K&N or other air filter? Anyone know?
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 9:50 pm

Here in BC all fuel sold has to have up to 5% renewable fuel in it. Gas has the ethanol, and the diesel has canola oil. We can't get around that, sadly. Chevron is the only stuff here with 94, the rest are 93 and under.

xcel

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 9:59 pm

Hi Jersey Devil:

I concur with the 93 from BP but anything without ethanol allows you another 2 to 3% over the ethanol crap.

Regarding oil, look at the Data sheets of whatever you decide to purchase. I see so much chest pumping about Amsoil but it’s the kinematic viscosity of the various manufacturers oil’s at the same weight that will provide you which is the most fuel efficient. Mobil1’s PAO IV used to be Amsoil’s base stock before their additive package was blended in but I do not know if that is true today…

In any case, before a fuel economy event (I am talking cars here), I always change to fresh batch of Mobil1 0W-20 and half way between the marks for the best FE potential.

For the WR and per the manual, just make sure whatever you choose does not include the Energy Saving–II label. And while most do, I would not use a heavier weight than the temp chart from the manual. If you are riding below 70 degrees, 10W-30 is perfect. 10W-40 for everything else.

I hope that helps with my limited WR experience?

SheWolf, there is another FE killer here in the US and is mandatory in the fuel from Gary, IN to Milwaukee, WI... And I live smack dab in the middle :( That being RFG. Yet another 2 to 3% haircut piled on to the 2 to 3% loss from the E10 vs. real non-ethanol, non-RFG based Premium unleaded like that available in Oklahoma to name just one state I like to purchase fuel from.

Wayne
Back to top Go down
Machtig

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 4 EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 10:26 pm

Tibarus wrote:
SheWolf wrote:

Don't forget the bacon and fried chicken... Fuel Mileage - Page 4 851577

So fuel mileage test. If you guys are only getting 45-55 mpg average, you are now officially only getting MARGINALLY better MPG than my 1982 BMW R65LS.

Congrats...

I'm ok with that. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Mileage   Fuel Mileage - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Fuel Mileage
Page 4 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next