Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Oil gets dark so quickly.

Go down 
+5
skierd
usgpru27
motokid
YZEtc
JAP2010WRR
9 posters
AuthorMessage
JAP2010WRR

Oil gets dark so quickly. Empty
PostSubject: Oil gets dark so quickly.   Oil gets dark so quickly. EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 1:21 pm

Hi all.

I got a brand new WR250R 2 months ago, everything stock. Now I have 1300km on the clock.

This is the first off-road bike I own, so I don't know much about the WR engine.

I am curious about my WR, the engine oil gets dark so quickly even for 300km, yup, I changed the oil every 300km, coz I can't understand why the oil has been so dark, it doesn't happen on my other motorcycles, the oil still looked light brown after 1000km.

I used mineral oil for the first 3 times oil change (for break-in), now I am using fully synthetic oil, but the oil turned dark (nearly black) after 200km after oil change, I also changed the oil filter every time.

I found quite a lot of black carbon like small particle stuff on the bottom of the oil pan that I use to store drained oil.

I checked the air filter, good as new.

Also, my bike has poor fuel consumption, 20km/liter, while the book said 34km/liter.

Otherwise, the bike runs ok; I want to ask everyone here.... is my WR normal?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Oil gets dark so quickly.   Oil gets dark so quickly. EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 1:31 pm

You're getting better fuel milage than I did on my WR-250R.

Is the foam air filter oiled with foam air filter oil?

Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Oil gets dark so quickly.   Oil gets dark so quickly. EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 1:42 pm

Dude....300 mk is 186 miles.

YAMAHA says you're good to 3000 miles - or a little over 4800 km's.

Your oil is used to lubricate the clutch as well as the engine parts.
It'll get dark. It's fine.

You have nothing to worry about.

You did not buy an Aprilia.

Unless you are doing serious racing and mega clutch slipping in lots of mud you are simply throwing money away at an alarming rate.

Enjoy the bike. It's a cool little toy.

Don't stress over it.

Based on a conversion chart I found - I average between 21 and 23 km/lt.....

Gas mileage is a direct reflection of your throttle hand. You want better km/liter then don't twist the throttle so hard.
Not as much fun that way....but you have to decide what you want from your bike.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
usgpru27

PostSubject: Re: Oil gets dark so quickly.   Oil gets dark so quickly. EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 11:53 pm

Its totally normal and from the clutch material. Run per the manual schedule and you will be just fine.
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Oil gets dark so quickly.   Oil gets dark so quickly. EmptyMon Feb 21, 2011 2:33 am

It'll get 34km/l if you baby it everywhere, not using the throttle aggresively at all and keep speeds down.

Dunno about the oil changing colors faster than others, without sending it out for analysis there's really no way to tell if there's something wrong or not.
Back to top Go down
JAP2010WRR

PostSubject: Re: Oil gets dark so quickly.   Oil gets dark so quickly. EmptyMon Feb 21, 2011 11:24 am

Thanks!

It's good to hear that my bike is normal. Except the fuel consumption.... I ride the WR to work everyday, about 20 km return, quite a few traffic lights, I use 1/4 to 1/2 throttle most of the time.... I tried baby the bike and stick with the speed limit.... still got 24km/L.... Mine is Japan version, I live in Japan, dunno if there's a difference. Anyway, thanks you guys!

Back to top Go down
JAP2010WRR

PostSubject: Re: Oil gets dark so quickly.   Oil gets dark so quickly. EmptyMon Feb 21, 2011 11:27 am

YZEtc

Yes, the foam air filter is oiled with foam air filter oil, I checked. Everything is stock. I haven't changed anything yet. The foam air filter looks as new! I haven't riden this baby on off-road yet.

Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Oil gets dark so quickly.   Oil gets dark so quickly. EmptyMon Feb 21, 2011 12:45 pm

Yup, daily commuting I'm getting about the same fuel consumption as you. Some highway, some surface street, always fun. Only thing I can figure is there's a big fuel dump at midrange or something, else wind resistence really hurts this bike. I've gotten the claimed mpg's out of it before, but I was on all dirt roads riding like I had an egg under the throttle that would break if I went too hard, trying to conserve gas as it was a long stretch without stations.
Back to top Go down
twday

twday

PostSubject: Re: Oil gets dark so quickly.   Oil gets dark so quickly. EmptySun May 22, 2011 11:50 pm

This is an old topic, but I'm glad to have found it. My 2008 WRX had about 900 miles of goofy kid ownership before I bought it this winter. I dumped the old (probably original) oil immediately and ran a quart of cheap 30W oil through the bike before dumping that oil and replacing it with a good synthetic. Almost immediately, that oil turned black (as seen through the oil check window). My V-Strom usually goes for a whole oil interval without much color change, so I was a bit worried.

thanks,
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Oil gets dark so quickly.   Oil gets dark so quickly. EmptyMon May 23, 2011 1:45 am

JAP2010WRR wrote:

I used mineral oil for the first 3 times oil change (for break-in), now I am using fully synthetic oil, but the oil turned dark (nearly black) after 200km after oil change, I also changed the oil filter every time.

Really ? I never heard of such a thing.

Where did that come from ? ...and when ?

What weight is mineral oil ? 5/10 SAE ?

...and what temperature was it when you were running this diet ?

You ran it like this for ~ 900 km ?

scratch
Back to top Go down
TNkayaker

PostSubject: Re: Oil gets dark so quickly.   Oil gets dark so quickly. EmptyMon May 23, 2011 8:14 am

FYI -- Mineral oil just means regular, petroleum based oil (non synthetic) He's not talking about the kind you find in a drugstore.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Oil gets dark so quickly.   Oil gets dark so quickly. EmptyMon May 23, 2011 1:15 pm

Ohhhhh.... I was thinking WTF ?
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

PostSubject: Re: Oil gets dark so quickly.   Oil gets dark so quickly. EmptyMon May 23, 2011 1:39 pm

Color is not an indication of oil condition.

Quote :
Dark oil does not indicate the need for an oil change. The way modern detergent motor oil works is that minute particles of soot are suspended in the oil. These minute particles pose no danger to your engine, but they cause the oil to darken. A non-detergent oil would stay clearer than a detergent oil because all the soot would be left on the internal engine parts and would create sludge. If you never changed your oil, eventually the oil would no longer be able to suspend any more particles in the oil and sludge would form. Fortunately, by following the manufacturer's recommended oil change interval, you are changing your oil long before the oil has become saturated. Remember, a good oil should get dirty as it does it's work cleaning out the engine. The dispersant should stop all the gunk from depositing in the oil pan.

The only real way to determine whether oil is truly in need of changing is to have an oil analysis performed. Since most people don't want to bother with this, it's acceptable to err heavily on the safe side and simply follow the manufacturer's recommended change interval for severe service.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oil gets dark so quickly.   Oil gets dark so quickly. Empty

Back to top Go down

Oil gets dark so quickly.
Page 1 of 1