Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Anybody "graduate" from a TW to the WR?

Go down 
+6
YZEtc
GusinCA
spacecadet
gatorfan
Farmer17
morrow7x
10 posters
AuthorMessage
morrow7x

morrow7x

Anybody "graduate" from a TW to the WR? Empty
PostSubject: Anybody "graduate" from a TW to the WR?   Anybody "graduate" from a TW to the WR? EmptyMon Feb 28, 2011 5:23 pm

.....just wonderin'. been thinking about something a bit more nimble with that extra few mph of cruising speed on the pavement, and in colorado the fi has to be a plus as well! since my days off coincide with the local mc shops (and they're not very local...) i really haven't had a chance to just go swing a leg over one . given the difference in suspension travel and i'm assuming sag as well, i was wondering what the net 'real world' seat height difference actually was (with or without lowering). any other impressions after making the switch? thanks!!

Anybody "graduate" from a TW to the WR? DSC00250JPG57
Back to top Go down
Farmer17

Farmer17

PostSubject: Re: Anybody "graduate" from a TW to the WR?   Anybody "graduate" from a TW to the WR? EmptyMon Feb 28, 2011 8:51 pm

the TW was my first bike and i loved it cuz it was such a tough mule thumb after taking it on a 1200 mile trip, i decided i needed something that could actually cruise at 60 mph fully loaded. so i got a wr and i love it even more Peace YAM i can tell you that the wr is quite a bit taller than the wr but nothing to be afraid of. i am about 5' 11" and because i have only been riding motorcycles for a year the wr felt like it was about half a mile high compared to the TW, but i got used to it in a hurry. i can just about flat foot it, my heel is about an inch off the ground, but the bike feels really nimble. as far as other impressions, i can now roost with ease bannana it can easily cruise at 60-65 and it is great on the trails too because it handles so well. like i said the height takes some getting used to from the tw i would definately recommend it. Hope this helps
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Anybody "graduate" from a TW to the WR?   Anybody "graduate" from a TW to the WR? EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 9:24 pm

I went from a TW to a WR. I needed the top end speed of the WR. With the TW I spent too much time checking my mirrors to see if I was holding up traffic.

I'm 5'11" and did the stock lowering of the the WR (1"). It's a very easy mod for which there is an online tutorial. You can also lower more than 1" with an after market part like "Yamalink".

Even after stock mod the WR is much taller than the TW. I can get both feet flat after the mod. Before mod it was tippy toes or lean. It took a few rides to get used to the height but A HIGH SEAT IS EASIER ON THE LOWER BACK. I can ride hours longer on the WR.

If you buy the WR and want to lower seat, search this forum for solutions or send me a PM.

The only advantage of the TW was the fat tires and low CG in sugar sand. Other than that it's like getting out of a Chevy and into a Porche.

Just do it.

Go Gators!

Back to top Go down
morrow7x

morrow7x

PostSubject: Re: Anybody "graduate" from a TW to the WR?   Anybody "graduate" from a TW to the WR? EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 10:29 pm

gatorfan wrote:
I went from a TW to a WR. I needed the top end speed of the WR. With the TW I spent too much time checking my mirrors to see if I was holding up traffic.

that's one of my top reasons. i know folks tour all over on them- but 45mph with one eye on the mirror is not what i envision for myself. i also have the feeling (from my experiment 10 years ago with an xr400 as my first mc) that a tallish bike with e-start has got to be a lot less hassle than a tallish bike with kickstart only (sometimes i felt like a 3 legged cat trying to bury a turd.....). i'm glad i bought the tw to work my way up instead. but now it's time for more highway capability and better off road suspension.

i think i've long since made up my mind- the wr seems to be the most universally loved bike on the 'net. these posts help keep me psyched until the finances are right!

thanks for the replies!
Back to top Go down
Farmer17

Farmer17

PostSubject: Re: Anybody "graduate" from a TW to the WR?   Anybody "graduate" from a TW to the WR? EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 11:01 pm

you will love it thumb
Back to top Go down
morrow7x

morrow7x

PostSubject: Re: Anybody "graduate" from a TW to the WR?   Anybody "graduate" from a TW to the WR? EmptySun May 29, 2011 1:45 pm

FWIW, the TW is sold and I'm on the hunt........... thumb

thanks again for the replies!
Back to top Go down
spacecadet

PostSubject: Re: Anybody "graduate" from a TW to the WR?   Anybody "graduate" from a TW to the WR? EmptySun May 29, 2011 3:26 pm

where abouts are you in CO?

i have a wr-x id be more than happy to let you throw a leg over to get a feel for it.

Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: Anybody "graduate" from a TW to the WR?   Anybody "graduate" from a TW to the WR? EmptySun May 29, 2011 3:42 pm

That's a big jump, from the TW to the WR. A smaller jump might be the XT to the WR.

In any event, I can't sing the song praising the WR loud enough...
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Anybody "graduate" from a TW to the WR?   Anybody "graduate" from a TW to the WR? EmptySun May 29, 2011 4:03 pm

I've owned two TW-200s in the past:
The original 1987 TW-200T, and a 2000 TW-200M.
Had fun on both.

The TW is, basically, built to go slow.
Top speed is not that fast, and trying to hold the speed limit on your typical freeway is about all it can do.
It feels comfy at about 40-45mph on the street, or anything less.

Off-road, it's excellent for the kind of slow going you get while blazing new trails, if such a thing can be done these days without feeling like a criminal. :)
For somebody who doesn't feel the need for speed, the TW will deliver.

The WR-250R is like a V-Max in comparison.
It's got more displacement, double the power, and a long-travel suspension that wouldn't be as handy for walking speeds, but better for anything else.
The seat is taller, but not any more so than any other modern off-road bike.
Hell, dirt bikes have had seats this tall since 1980, so what's the big deal? :)
Back to top Go down
Berwyn Henderson

PostSubject: Re: Anybody "graduate" from a TW to the WR?   Anybody "graduate" from a TW to the WR? EmptyMon May 30, 2011 10:00 am

I still have my 02 tw, ride it some to keep the miles off the wr. It seems to make the wr a big bad hp bike. Love both wings usa
Back to top Go down
rydnseek

rydnseek

PostSubject: Re: Anybody "graduate" from a TW to the WR?   Anybody "graduate" from a TW to the WR? EmptyMon May 30, 2011 12:35 pm

I got a tw when i got back into M/C riding a few years back.. great bike. Then i upgraded to a drz- e.. even better! I rode it for a few years, then upgraded again to the wrx.. even better! I can't imagine another upgrade from this one, but maybe if suzuki comes up with a FI drz with 6 spd wide range tranny, i might consider it. But the power is plenty adequate for my riding, so i don't see the need.

My fat front tire x is almost like a tw on stearoids, anyway..
Back to top Go down
addikted2boost

addikted2boost

PostSubject: ?   Anybody "graduate" from a TW to the WR? EmptyMon May 30, 2011 2:42 pm

what is the point of the tw? what kind of bike is it supposed to be used for? it looks very strange to me and i cant figure out a use for it besides maybe dunes.

somebody plz educate me on this bike beater
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Anybody "graduate" from a TW to the WR?   Anybody "graduate" from a TW to the WR? EmptyMon May 30, 2011 3:58 pm

addikted2boost wrote:
what is the point of the tw? what kind of bike is it supposed to be used for? it looks very strange to me and i cant figure out a use for it besides maybe dunes.

somebody plz educate me on this bike beater

Answer: FAT TIRES=TRACTION.

There is no competitor to the TW in sugar sand. Super low CG good for beginners. It's like riding a tractor.
Back to top Go down
Dave Bell

Dave Bell

PostSubject: No comparison   Anybody "graduate" from a TW to the WR? EmptyTue May 31, 2011 9:12 am

I sold my TW to get the WR. I liked the TW for puttering around on my land, but it was seriously underpowered. I might have kept it for my growing grandson but my garage was looking kind of full, so I sold it. It is underpowered, easy as pie to ride, and fun to slip the rear tire on the mud and sand. The WR is a serious bike; I love it. It makes the TW feel like a toy.
Back to top Go down
addikted2boost

addikted2boost

PostSubject: Re: Anybody "graduate" from a TW to the WR?   Anybody "graduate" from a TW to the WR? EmptyTue May 31, 2011 11:54 am

Answer: FAT TIRES=TRACTION.

There is no competitor to the TW in sugar sand. Super low CG good for beginners. It's like riding a tractor.[/quote]

ok i understand now thanks thumb
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anybody "graduate" from a TW to the WR?   Anybody "graduate" from a TW to the WR? Empty

Back to top Go down

Anybody "graduate" from a TW to the WR?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum :: General :: WRR/X General Discussion-
Jump to: