Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

code 19 side stand problem

Go down 
+3
greer
RimBenty
chofilena
7 posters
AuthorMessage
chofilena

code 19 side stand problem Empty
PostSubject: code 19 side stand problem   code 19 side stand problem EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 4:39 am

I removed the side stand switched and looped wires together. Bike was running perfectly fine for a year. But all of a sudden the bike just stopped while i was riding and gave me code 19. But before it stopped the fuel reserved light turned on and instantly the engine went dead and costed. When i made a full stop i checked my gauge and saw the engine light on and the code 19. It made me push the bike for 3 kilometers to the main road to get help GAHHHH. When i got home i tried to check the wires and seems new and ok. I tried to start the engine and it was ok. Thought it was just a loose connection and i thought i fixed the bike. But it happened again and made me push another kilometer again. Checked all wires and couplers seems ok but bike still does not want to start. What could be my problem? please help.
Back to top Go down
RimBenty

RimBenty

PostSubject: Re: code 19 side stand problem   code 19 side stand problem EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 8:04 am

Skeird is having the same problem with his bike and it's currently in the shop. It will be interesting to find out what is wrong and if this becomes a common problem. Code 19 post

You'll likely find the update here when he finds out what it is - Skeirds Ride
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: code 19 side stand problem   code 19 side stand problem EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 8:10 am

Check this thread, too:

https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t3951-motor-died-while-riding

I'm wondering about that side stand mod.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: code 19 side stand problem   code 19 side stand problem EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 1:56 pm

Mine had the problem start with the side stand switch still attached, I removed it to try to clear the code. Did the same thing yours is doing, intermittedly and for no real reason clearing and throwing the code at start up.
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

PostSubject: Re: code 19 side stand problem   code 19 side stand problem EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 6:31 pm

I have a problem with the neutral switch. I know it's not the same as the side stand but the wires are following the same route.

I wonder if the engine's heat doesn't have an effect on the wires with time.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: code 19 side stand problem   code 19 side stand problem EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 8:04 pm

You three having the problem, what year/model are your bikes, and more importantly, how many miles on them?

If this is an emerging problem, I doubt the wiring has changed any over the years, but I wonder about how many miles on each bike.

Be interesting what the shop finds on your bike, Dave. You other two planning on making the trek to a dealer?

We haven't seen anything like this on any of the forums until lately, have we?
Back to top Go down
RimBenty

RimBenty

PostSubject: Re: code 19 side stand problem   code 19 side stand problem EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 8:56 pm

From looking at the wiring diagram some of the safeties (Sidestand, Neutral, Clutch) connect to a relay pack that has several diodes and two relays. One relay connects to the starter and the other connects to the fuel pump. There are also several wires going to the ECU, I assume to monitor the safeties. It could be that something has failed in that relay pack. Someone who is better at electronics than me can probably shed more light as to whats going on in the relay pack.
code 19 side stand problem WRwiring-1

Last edited by RimBenty on Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

PostSubject: Re: code 19 side stand problem   code 19 side stand problem EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 9:00 pm

I have a 2009 and 10,000km.

I don't think it is a problem related only to the bike but the result of a modification.

As soon as the weather will permit it, I'll check if it's not the skid plate that slowly damages the wire.
Back to top Go down
Akasy

PostSubject: Wiring   code 19 side stand problem EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 9:25 pm

Twisting wires together on any motorcycle is, in my opinion, not a good option. Weather will eventually get to it and create corrosion in the "splice", in some instances this will not impact the operation of the system. In others the high ressisthance created by the twisted and corroded wires could "appear" as an open and impact the circuit involved. The relay pack is similar to one used for years on other Yamaha's such as the XT350 and I never had issues with those. Of course any point of connection in the kickstand circuit could be a problem area or a chafffed wire could also be involved but a logical start point would be where a mod had been accomplished. Good luck.

chofilena wrote:
I removed the side stand switched and looped wires together. Bike was running perfectly fine for a year. But all of a sudden the bike just stopped while i was riding and gave me code 19. But before it stopped the fuel reserved light turned on and instantly the engine went dead and costed. When i made a full stop i checked my gauge and saw the engine light on and the code 19. It made me push the bike for 3 kilometers to the main road to get help GAHHHH. When i got home i tried to check the wires and seems new and ok. I tried to start the engine and it was ok. Thought it was just a loose connection and i thought i fixed the bike. But it happened again and made me push another kilometer again. Checked all wires and couplers seems ok but bike still does not want to start. What could be my problem? please help.
Back to top Go down
chofilena

PostSubject: Re: code 19 side stand problem   code 19 side stand problem EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 3:05 am

Akasy wrote:
Twisting wires together on any motorcycle is, in my opinion, not a good option. Weather will eventually get to it and create corrosion in the "splice", in some instances this will not impact the operation of the system. In others the high ressisthance created by the twisted and corroded wires could "appear" as an open and impact the circuit involved. The relay pack is similar to one used for years on other Yamaha's such as the XT350 and I never had issues with those. Of course any point of connection in the kickstand circuit could be a problem area or a chafffed wire could also be involved but a logical start point would be where a mod had been accomplished. Good luck.

chofilena wrote:

Finally found the problem. My bike is a 2010X. One of the wiring got pinch and got cut on the steering area, right under the key switch. Been fixing the bike the whole day and cant find anything near the stand. So i decided to check behind the head lights and wings found it.
Back to top Go down
Akasy

PostSubject: Re: code 19 side stand problem   code 19 side stand problem EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 6:24 am

Good catch those are the tough ones to find in troubleshooting. cheers

Finally found the problem. My bike is a 2010X. One of the wiring got pinch and got cut on the steering area, right under the key switch. Been fixing the bike the whole day and cant find anything near the stand. So i decided to check behind the head lights and wings found it. [/quote]
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: code 19 side stand problem   code 19 side stand problem EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 7:17 am

skierd--

Sorry I missed that-- your problem occurred, THEN you did the mod. Dang.

chofilena--

Glad you got yours sorted, sounds like we need to keep an eye on the wiring around the sreering head. Thanks for posting back.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
chofilena

PostSubject: Re: code 19 side stand problem   code 19 side stand problem EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 10:36 pm

[quote="greer"]skierd--

chofilena--

Glad you got yours sorted, sounds like we need to keep an eye on the wiring around the sreering head. Thanks for posting back.

Sarah[/quote

Sorry my bike is a WR250R not X scratch What was i thinking stupid
Back to top Go down
chofilena

PostSubject: Re: code 19 side stand problem   code 19 side stand problem EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 10:39 pm

[quote="chofilena"]
greer wrote:
skierd--

chofilena--

Sarah[/quote

Sorry my bike is a WR250R not X scratch What was i thinking stupid
. No problem occured a year after i did the mod.
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: code 19 side stand problem   code 19 side stand problem EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 3:34 am

2008, vin in the 1700's, mileage about 15,500. Its somewhere in the wiring above the plug as whether or not the looped harness is plugged in doesn't change the effect of the intermittent code and no-start.

That relay would be a good place to look, hmm...
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: code 19 side stand problem   code 19 side stand problem EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 10:05 am

Dealer called and said the spark plug is broken. Going to get the bike tonight or tomorrow. Going to continue troubleshooting when I get home a little to make sure there's not something else hiding.
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: code 19 side stand problem   code 19 side stand problem EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 1:53 pm

I don't think I've ever heard of a broken spark plug before....

Sarah
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: code 19 side stand problem   code 19 side stand problem EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 1:40 am

skierd wrote:
Dealer called and said the spark plug is broken. Going to get the bike tonight or tomorrow. Going to continue troubleshooting when I get home a little to make sure there's not something else hiding.
Spark plug is broken? WTF?

Not being an ass, but what did you do to check for spark (so I'll never get bitten by this in the future)?

Jeez, I wonder if I'd ever think to check the spark plug in a situation like this?

Probably not. Especially with what it takes to get at the plug on these things.
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: code 19 side stand problem   code 19 side stand problem EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 4:32 pm

Just checked it as I was putting the saddle bags back on (run the enduro saddlebag straps under the seat), code 19 is no more and the stand switch circuit is working like normal. Looped wires plugged in, works fine. Not plugged in, bike will not run in gear. No codes. Winning. Very happy

Spark plug was broken at the base of the porcelain and able to move in and out of the metal body by 1/4"+. I'm guessing that the extra unnecessary ground was causing the electrical snafu, and on my bike it decided to make a code 19.
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

PostSubject: Re: code 19 side stand problem   code 19 side stand problem EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 5:22 pm

I'll keep in mind to check for the spark plug. Although checking it is combined with fuel system the first thing to do, like Jager said the fact that it's not easy to get access to it makes us check everything else.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: code 19 side stand problem   code 19 side stand problem Empty

Back to top Go down

code 19 side stand problem
Page 1 of 1