Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Black rims

Go down 
+2
Hertz
resqman911
6 posters
AuthorMessage
resqman911

Black rims Empty
PostSubject: Black rims   Black rims EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 2:50 pm

Hey guys, I have a 2008 R and really want black rims, do you guys think if I prep'ed the rims well and hit them with some high quality spray paint that they would look decent and handle the abuse. What do you think powder coating would run?
Back to top Go down
Hertz

Hertz

Black rims Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black rims   Black rims EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 8:01 pm

You could paint them, yes. It would make your life a lot easier if you would de-lace the rim. I think you would get a much better outcome if you did this rather than trying to sand and paint around the spokes. If you choose to go the powder coat route, they will want just the rim. I doubt any professional will want to do a laced wheel. As far as cost, call around to local powder coaters and ask for an estimate.

Paint will not hold up like powder coat. If you ride your R offroad at all I would seriously consider having them powder coated.
Back to top Go down
Toddwr250r

Toddwr250r

Black rims Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black rims   Black rims EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 8:15 pm

resqman911 wrote:
Hey guys, I have a 2008 R and really want black rims, do you guys think if I prep'ed the rims well and hit them with some high quality spray paint that they would look decent and handle the abuse. What do you think powder coating would run?
don't be silly guy, just put $1000 in the bank and then ride the living dog snot outa your R2, then when you bend a rim, and you will, as the stock D.I.D. rims suck, then you'll have the cake all set aside to buy a set of Excell A60's in black
Back to top Go down
Hertz

Hertz

Black rims Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black rims   Black rims EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 9:02 pm

Toddwr250r wrote:
resqman911 wrote:
don't be silly guy, just put $1000 in the bank and then ride the living dog snot outa your R2, then when you bend a rim, and you will, as the stock D.I.D. rims suck, then you'll have the cake all set aside to buy a set of Excell A60's in black

Painting for the time being would be cheap if you can lace and true a wheel yourself... Or at least lace, then take them somewhere to be trued.
Back to top Go down
Toddwr250r

Toddwr250r

Black rims Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black rims   Black rims EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 9:12 pm

true enough, i was kinda just being an ass, as i am currently doing that same thing, new excel rims wings
Back to top Go down
njbill

njbill

Black rims Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black rims   Black rims EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 10:11 pm

Do not paint them. You will regret it. Paint will not stay on there.
Back to top Go down

Black rims Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black rims   Black rims EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 12:57 am

if you delaced the wheel it would probably run $50 or so to get them coated black. It's not really worth the effort, I had my kx wheels off with tires off and even I didn't want to bother with delacing them to send away to coat. It's just a lot of work.
Back to top Go down
flatboarder

flatboarder

Black rims Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black rims   Black rims EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 12:32 pm

I had my former enduro rims powdercoated in matte black.
Did the unlacing and lacing of wheels myself. I did this with two wheelsets both of which were fine.
The EXC shown in the picture was used for weekly offroad riding: training and competition.
The color coating proved durable. Therefore I would prefer powdercoating over just painting.
I am planning to do this with my WR enduro rims as well as soon as I find the time.

BTW no bad issues with several sets of DID rims up to now. I have been riding DID rims on
several enduro bikes since 1999. Only enduro/dirtbike/touring usage, no MX or big jumps.
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

Black rims Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black rims   Black rims EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 2:46 pm

I had mine powder coated, but I had to pay someone to lace them and true them after.
very durable result...
Black rims WR2copy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Black rims Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black rims   Black rims Empty

Back to top Go down

Black rims
Page 1 of 1