Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Terrible Motor Noise

Go down 
+3
lifejacket
Sinfull
250x_rider
7 posters
AuthorMessage
250x_rider

Terrible Motor Noise Empty
PostSubject: Terrible Motor Noise   Terrible Motor Noise EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 2:33 am

I have this posted other places but I'm trying everything possible to find someone that might be able to offer some answers.

Alright guys here's the deal, I have a WR250X with almost 20K miles. I bought it with a motor noise for cheap and I am in the process of fixing this thing but its not going well. So far I have replaced (because of damage and for piece of mind) bottom end bearings (trans, crank, and balancer), oil pump, clutch hub (broke it), and the top end was replaced with the Athena 290 kit. Unfortunately I am still getting the noise. I work at a dealership and I have had several techs look at it with me and no one seems to be able to find anything. I even called Yamaha techline and he couldn't offer much help, he said to check the starter clutch, that tested fine based on the test from the manual, otherwise he was stumped even asked a couple other people but since no one seems to have had a break down with a 250X yet there is no knowledge to pull from yet. Now here's everything I can tell you, the water pump bearing feels great, if the clutch is in or out no change, if the bike is in gear or not no change, the noise is based on RPM, all the gears on the right side of the motor seem fine, crank shaft run out it .004 inches which is will within spec (max of .025 inches). The noise seems to be coming from the right side but at times almost sounds like its coming from both sides (damn small motors). The last thing Yamaha Techline told me was to ride it till something breaks but the motor seems to get extremely hot and it freaks me out so I really don't want to ride it.

Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
Sinfull

PostSubject: Re: Terrible Motor Noise   Terrible Motor Noise EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 9:07 am

do you have access to a video camera that you could record the noise at post it on here like i did with my engine noise?? Might help identify it.
Back to top Go down
lifejacket

lifejacket

PostSubject: Re: Terrible Motor Noise   Terrible Motor Noise EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 10:21 am

Sinfull wrote:
do you have access to a video camera that you could record the noise at post it on here like i did with my engine noise?? Might help identify it.

+1 this
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

PostSubject: Re: Terrible Motor Noise   Terrible Motor Noise EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 4:11 pm

There's no timeline on that, I assume you installed the BB kit after the noise was noted
Why did you re bearing the bottom end, was there damage
Why did you replace the oil pump, was the an oil related failure
Cam chain and or tensioner could make for loud noises
Is it a howl or growl or is it a knock or clatter
Back to top Go down
Midnite171

Midnite171

PostSubject: Re: Terrible Motor Noise   Terrible Motor Noise EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 6:58 pm

0007onWR wrote:

Cam chain and or tensioner could make for loud noises

DEFINITELY worth a check!
Back to top Go down
jyam

jyam

PostSubject: Re: Terrible Motor Noise   Terrible Motor Noise EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 11:19 am

Suspect
...ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!...GET ER' FIXED... baldy
Back to top Go down
DeadmTrigger

PostSubject: Re: Terrible Motor Noise   Terrible Motor Noise EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 11:40 am

Did you ever figure out the problem?

I have the exact same problem as your having.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Terrible Motor Noise   Terrible Motor Noise Empty

Back to top Go down

Terrible Motor Noise
Page 1 of 1