Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

I am finally official now...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
DougZ

DougZ

I am finally official now... Empty
PostSubject: I am finally official now...   I am finally official now... EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 10:34 am

Picked up my new 2010 WR250R yesterday and came home and took it for a short ride later the same day.

I am finally official now... 2011-03-25_13-15-01_501

I already have a new set of tires ready to go on it this week.....got the same set as I had on the DRZ, before I sold it, Pirelli XCMH's.

At the dealer, I grabbed a set of Moose bark busters.

Also on order:
Ivan's Freedom Case saver
Doubletake Mirror
Flatlands skidplate

Still shopping for a good, yet fairly priced rear rack.

Already had my first off yesterday. Was going around an easy turn, got on the gas to turn the bike, like I always would do with the DRZ, and the damn thing came right around on me. Fricken tires..lowsided....glad I have new ones to go on. I get to thank the tires for my slightly sprained wrist. baldy

I am assuming the rubber nubbies in the rim are for the rim lock to go??

Overall, I am pretty happy with the bike. I do feel how it is down on power from my DRZ, and being a new motor, I am not making it scream yet, but it's just fine for the 95% of woods riding I do. Definitely "feels" lighter than the DRZ in the technical stuff....which is one of the reasons I wanted this bike. Feels way smoother on the road and even with less power, has no issues getting up to and maintaining speed.

I am gonna keep it pretty stock for the first year..maybe after that I'll worry about the power mods, etc. One of the main reason's I also wanted a new WRR, as opposed to any used bike, is I am getting tired of working of things, bikes included. I have been doing it for 20+ years....glad to not really have to worry about anything other oil changes for a while with this bike.
Back to top Go down
Midnite171

Midnite171

PostSubject: Re: I am finally official now...   I am finally official now... EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 11:09 am

Congrats!!! I'm sue you'll be loving it for a long time!
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: I am finally official now...   I am finally official now... EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 6:33 pm

New bike? What happened to the side panel decals?

DougZ wrote:
Already had my first off yesterday. Was going around an easy turn, got on the gas to turn the bike, like I always would do with the DRZ, and the damn thing came right around on me. Fricken tires..lowsided....glad I have new ones to go on. I get to thank the tires for my slightly sprained wrist.
You got on the gas in order to make a nice easy turn and the bike lowsided on you?

Musta been them new deathwings, couldn't have possibly been a new bike you're unfamiliar with, a different power band, and of course tires you're not used to! DRZ, think cutlass; WR, think rapier.

But still... ship them Deathwings to me and I'll ensure they're properly, safely, and ecologically disposed of before somebody else gets hurt - just like I do with all the other Deathwings nobody wants.

The real question is....

... how much did you end up paying and how far did you have to travel to get it?

Welcome to the club. I did the Motoman type breakin like many others here, with the approval of my mechanic brother, so I didn't have to pussyfoot around before using the meaty end of the powerband.
Back to top Go down
DougZ

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: I am finally official now...   I am finally official now... EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 7:09 pm

Being that I rode on all the same terrain I always do, and never had that trouble with the DRZ and the tires I had on it, I am 99% sure it was the tires on the WRR. Maybe if the bike made more HP's or more torque than the DRZ, or if I was using the top end of the RPM range, I could see it potentially being me, but none of those were the case.

Pm your address and Paypal me $100, and you have can have the tires...as long as you are a US resident. thumb

As far as price, I did end up staying in NJ. I got it from the original dealer I first went too. Once I had $2000 cash for a down payment...$7000 OTD.....$5000 financed...which is the deal I originally wanted. Would have been even cheaper if NJ did not have so many BS DMV fees. Would have paid more of those fees if I bought out of state, which is why I decided to stay in NJ to buy.

side panel decals? same as the 2010 model on the Yami site:
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelhome/595/1/home.aspx

I am finally official now... Img
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: I am finally official now...   I am finally official now... EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 7:22 pm

DougZ wrote:
Pm your address and Paypal me $100, and you have can have the tires...as long as you are a US resident. thumb
Nah. That's a fair price, but I usually get them for way cheaper than that. Last set was $40, shipping in. Guys disgusted enough to get rid of them cheap offer them faster than I can wear them out.

It's a really good 50/50 dual sport tire around here where the dirt is mostly hard clay and packed dirt/gravel combos. Different story than for those who spend a lot of time in soft stuff, mud, and sand.

Quote :
As far as price, I did end up staying in NJ. I got it from the original dealer I first went too. Once I had $2000 cash for a down payment...$7000 OTD.....$5000 financed...which is the deal I originally wanted. Would have been even cheaper if NJ did not have so many BS DMV fees. Would have paid more of those fees if I bought out of state, which is why I decided to stay in NJ to buy.
That's not too bad considering the alternatives you were facing and local taxes/fees - and how obstinate you were about a used bike or a new '08. You got something you are happy with, which is what counts, and it can't hurt that you bought the bike there when you eventually do need to see the dealer about something or other.

Your pic makes it look like you're definitely going to be riding before I will be...

Quote :
side panel decals? same as the 2010 model on the Yami site:
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelhome/595/1/home.aspx

I am finally official now... Img
Hmmmm.... never noticed that... when did they drop the decals?

I am finally official now... Bike210
Back to top Go down
DougZ

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: I am finally official now...   I am finally official now... EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 7:37 pm

yeah, sand/ sandy trails are a majority of what I ride. right now, its a mix of sand with pine needles over it. makes for a very slippery surface. To get the grip I like, I run 90/10 DOT tires. I am sure that the the TrailWings are a good 50/50 tire, but that makes them have a harder compound, which is no good for the soft terrain.I also went through one mud puddle and may as well have been on ice.

The forks are gold too....did ya notice that change? Very happy

I said $100 for the tires since I know they will probably cost about $50 to ship.

I am happy with the bike..so I look forward to many years of fun riding on it. Once i get the tires sorted and all the protection stuff, as well as get the suspension settings right, I should be good.

Thanks for the feedback.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: I am finally official now...   I am finally official now... EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 8:28 pm

DougZ wrote:
yeah, sand/ sandy trails are a majority of what I ride. right now, its a mix of sand with pine needles over it. makes for a very slippery surface. To get the grip I like, I run 90/10 DOT tires. I am sure that the the TrailWings are a good 50/50 tire, but that makes them have a harder compound, which is no good for the soft terrain.I also went through one mud puddle and may as well have been on ice.
You won't get any claims from me that the Trailwings are good in mud or sand. I have encountered it once or twice, so I have a general idea what people are talking about when they complain about them in that stuff. But for my kind of riding, pretty nice.

Quote :
The forks are gold too....did ya notice that change?
Yeah, I knew about that one. Couldn't decide whether I liked the gold fork look or not. But since I'm not a fashion slave, in about 30 seconds or so I decided I couldn't be bothered figuring out if they looked better or not. Didn't notice the decals disappearing, however.

Quote :
I said $100 for the tires since I know they will probably cost about $50 to ship.
Didn't think your price was unfair at all... but I don't think the last new set I got from a new WR owner cost $50 for the shipping. Can't remember what it was, though.

Quote :
I am happy with the bike..so I look forward to many years of fun riding on it. Once i get the tires sorted and all the protection stuff, as well as get the suspension settings right, I should be good.

I do think a good bash plate, radiator guard, and handguards are necessities of life. Maybe in really soft areas a bash plate not so much, but definitely the rad guard and handguards. I put those on, plus front and rear disk guards, and called it good.

You'll have a lot of fun with that bike, I'm sure. If you ever amble out to this part of the Rockies, drop in and we'll head out in the mountains for a few days.
Back to top Go down
liftdt4r

liftdt4r

PostSubject: Re: I am finally official now...   I am finally official now... EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 11:00 pm

Hey congrats, wherabouts in NJ, I'm from Piscataway originally. I just picked up my WR a month ago and it's a blast, you won't be dissapointed!
Back to top Go down
DougZ

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: I am finally official now...   I am finally official now... EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 7:40 pm

Southern NJ..right in the pines. Very happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I am finally official now...   I am finally official now... Empty

Back to top Go down

I am finally official now...
Page 1 of 1