Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

oil question

Go down 
+22
TBird1
Pokey
GreenStreet
mordicai
usgpru27
motokid
onelove
texascycle
Chrispy1200
skierd
CDNSXV
Jäger
BluePill
manganos
MeefZah
BigBoar
Bob
BPG
mwakey
dirtytrixx400
SheWolf
inspector
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

oil question - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: oil question   oil question - Page 3 EmptyThu May 05, 2011 1:07 am

onelove wrote:
Do so many of you really not use that weep plug?!? Why not? Too hard to get to? Messy? Lazy?
Just curious why you would want to forgo an easy step that ensures proper function?
Kind of all of the above. But mostly because the local Yammy shop says they don't bother, 99.9% of the other people here don't bother and I don't think we've heard of a blown engine yet - for any reason - on the this and the other related WRR forums. I fire it up, the oil in the sight window instantly drops - success. I doubt most people even eyeball the sight glass.

Quote :
As mentioned before, NO CAR OR TRUCK OILS!! OIL FOR MC ONLY DUH!!
Well, here's where we could go sideways into an oil discussion. I got a little brother who's a petroleum engineer and a middle brother who's been wrenching over 30 years on everything from Harleys & two stokes and race cars, to the biggest haul trucks in the world and now Challenger main battle tanks. They both give the big seal of approval to Rotella T for the scoot; I use it in both the Ram 2500 Cummins diesel and in the bike. I think between the two of them, they're sufficiently qualified both by training and by their occupations to give me good advice on what oil to use.

The thing about motorcycles is that it is one of those "Do whatever you think is right" things, doesn't matter what other people think you should or should not do. If you're right, you're right; if you're wrong, you get the bill.

I'm not going to tell you you're crazy to use the weep plug or to use nothing but motorcycle oils. But I won't be unless things start happening.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: oil question   oil question - Page 3 EmptyThu May 05, 2011 1:18 am

onelove wrote:
Man, this site must have everyone thinking the same way, cause if you think different you will get jumped on.
Ill be the independent lemming on here and do as I please, and I can because I live in the USA baby!!!
We have a few differences of opinion on things here. Independent thought always welcome. I don't agree with you on the weep plug/oil thing, but I don't think for one moment it's for me to say you should do it my way. In fact, I'll agree that even though I won't do it your way, you're probably safer to some unmeasurable degree (but I'll still do it my way).

I wouldn't pay a lot of attention to anyone who feels the need to lecture you on how to properly work on or ride your bike. Chances are they've never met you and no idea of your background, experience, lots or little, etc. What works for one guy doesn't work for the next.

Quote :
I will try not to post to much on here because I dont want to upset the herd... I thought this site would be good for very specific info on the bike and to meet good people. But Im not really finding much of ether.
Oh well, lesson learned.
You won't upset the herd. If your opinion upsets them - well, sucks to be them, I guess. You won't get grief for telling somebody to bugger off, you'll do as you please, either. That's what I would do.

Lots of good WR info and people here. Most of us good and helpful. Some not so much. "Life is like a box of cherries... " etc. You probably have the wrenching and riding experience to tell the difference.

Enjoy.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: oil question   oil question - Page 3 EmptyThu May 05, 2011 5:35 am

onelove wrote:
Thank you for your permission to use the bleeder screw on MY bike. poser2

Man, this site must have everyone thinking the same way, cause if you think different you will get jumped on.
Ill be the independent lemming on here and do as I please, and I can because I live in the USA baby!!!

I will try not to post to much on here because I dont want to upset the herd... I thought this site would be good for very specific info on the bike and to meet good people. But Im not really finding much of ether.
Oh well, lesson learned.

I assume you're being a bit sarcastic and mostly humorous in this response, but if not please let us know now so we can adjust our responses to your posts and questions accordingly.

This is the BEST site you'll find anywhere for R/X information.

If you're THAT sensitive perhaps a nice step-through scooter would be a better choice of motorcycle for you?

amazon hide lol!

(last line is a joke - and all of my posts in this thread are 100% not typed in anger, or as attacks, or as condemnations of anyone's beliefs, theories, or ideologies. so please don't read some uninformed intent into what I've posted. In fact....almost everything I post at this forum has me looking like this behind the computer screen - Very happy wink poser2 )

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
onelove

onelove

PostSubject: Re: oil question   oil question - Page 3 EmptyThu May 05, 2011 9:58 am

And BTW Im not sensitive I just dont have time for stupid people, and there useless comments. Life is too short.

Jager thank you for staying on topic and giving some very interesting/ new knowledge. You seem like one of the guys that is sitting on a wealth of knowledge just waiting to be tapped into!! Thats great!!
I honestly think that most of the people on here are good, just like life. YOu just have to know how to weed out the bad/ worthless ones. Again, just like life.
And now I wait.... afro
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Leaving   oil question - Page 3 EmptyThu May 05, 2011 10:12 am

You still here? I thought you left !
Back to top Go down
onelove

onelove

PostSubject: Re: oil question   oil question - Page 3 EmptyThu May 05, 2011 10:13 am

I guess thats what you get for thinking!
Maybe you shouldn't try so hard, you might break a hip...
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: oil question   oil question - Page 3 EmptyThu May 05, 2011 11:16 am

Whoa ok, let's just put a damper on the insults whether meant in anger, honesty or just sarcasm in here please. This is going off topic (AGAIN); if you want to start a thread on how you feel please feel free to in the Off Topic area. thumb

PostSubject: Re: oil question   oil question - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 2:28 pm

BPG wrote:
surprised it hasn't been mentioned already - whatever oil you use, make sure it is NOT "energy conserving" (this info can be found on the little round logo on almost all oil containers - if the words "energy conserving" appear there, run away!)

thumb

thumb

Wet clutches and friction modifiers cause slippage. Thus don't use any energy conserving oil. Myself I use Mobil1 Synthetic 0-40. It is NOT energy conserving and most wear occurs when an engine is cold, thus the 0W.
Back to top Go down
Pokey

Pokey

PostSubject: Re: oil question   oil question - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 9:08 pm

I too am a big fan of the Rotella oils, both the 5W40 T6 or the 15W40 dino are excellent choices. I tend to listen and learn from folks who know more than I do about certain things, and the Rotella oils have been highly recommended by many of those people. I have run either variant in every single bike that I have owned and still currently own, nothing but good things to say about the stuff. Now as far as "SCAMSOIL" is concerned.......I think that shit is overpriced and over-hyped snake oil.
Back to top Go down
TBird1

TBird1

PostSubject: Re: oil question   oil question - Page 3 EmptyWed May 16, 2012 9:20 pm

GreenStreet wrote:
BPG wrote:
surprised it hasn't been mentioned already - whatever oil you use, make sure it is NOT "energy conserving" (this info can be found on the little round logo on almost all oil containers - if the words "energy conserving" appear there, run away!)

thumb

thumb

Wet clutches and friction modifiers cause slippage. Thus don't use any energy conserving oil. Myself I use Mobil1 Synthetic 0-40. It is NOT energy conserving and most wear occurs when an engine is cold, thus the 0W.

+1 on the Mobil 1 0w-40 oil. It runs great in my WRR and is superior during the winter. Curiously enough, it didn't perform that great in my Triumph street bike- the shifting became "notchy". I quickly drained it out and went back to 20w-50, at least for the summer. I'll probably revert to 10w-40 for the winter for that machine.
Back to top Go down
papi4baby

papi4baby

PostSubject: Re: oil question   oil question - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 7:29 am

Just changed my oil yesterday and i notice the Yamalube looked like royal purple and it also remind it me of synthetic oil for military jet engines just a tad thicker.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Bleeder screw - possible alternative ?   oil question - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 9:19 pm

Instead of messing with bleeder screw, I trust this:

After oil, filter and refill, I leave the bike on the jack or standing vertical so I can start it and watch the oil level window. If the level in the window instantly sucks down on starting the engine (always has), the oil pump must be pumping.

Last edited by LightFoot on Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
chuckP

PostSubject: Re: oil question   oil question - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 10:47 pm

Are you guys checking oil level on a stand or on the wheels?
Back to top Go down
Fly man

PostSubject: Re: oil question   oil question - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 17, 2015 10:33 am

chuckP wrote:
Are you guys checking oil level on a stand or on the wheels?

HI. Just 2 years late with the answer. Level on the wheels or on a stand either is fine. Just not leaned over on the side stand. Use your right hand to hold the bike straight up and down and then crouch down and look in the little glass window at the oik level. Once the bike is straight up it is very easy to balance there as the weight is cèntered over the tires.
Back to top Go down
Fly man

PostSubject: Re: oil question   oil question - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 17, 2015 10:37 am

Fyi. if the level in the sight glass is adjusted while the bike is on the sidestand it will be overful. Too overful can blow out seals and do other nasty things depending on how overful.
Back to top Go down
MADDOGGIE501

PostSubject: Re: oil question   oil question - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 19, 2015 10:52 pm

I know this is weird, I just changed the oil and checked it while holding it straight up and level, just like the owners manual said. The oil was perfect. I then put it up on my dirt bike center stand, so that I wouldn't have to hold it up. No oil in the sight glass. I think its so sensitive that if the the bike is raised in the front or rear on the center stand it don't show any oil. Just check it while holding it up, straight and level. PS. I also knew I put in 1 Quart (32 ounces) and 12 more ounces from another bottle.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: oil question   oil question - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

oil question
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next