Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Lamin X headlight film

Go down 
+5
WR250X
joenuclear
trav72
DougZ
AaronWhitt82
9 posters
AuthorMessage
AaronWhitt82

Lamin X headlight film Empty
PostSubject: Lamin X headlight film   Lamin X headlight film EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 12:50 am

Wondering if any of you here have this on your bikes?
I currently have the optic blue film on my R6 and it looks pretty good with the PIAA bulbs and does a hell of a job protecting the headlight lenses from rocks.
I was surprised when I checked the website today to see that they make a film for the x !!!!!
I ordered up the optic blue for the X thumb

http://www.lamin-x.com/Yamaha-WR250X-08-Headlight-Cover-p/ym011.htm
Back to top Go down
DougZ

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: Lamin X headlight film   Lamin X headlight film EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 8:40 am

Not sure how much protection a film is gonna be. I guess it depends on the size of the rocks.

I read somewhere a replacement stock headlight was something like $200. So, I promptly made a small protector from 1/8" lexan. With the "EZ pass" velcro I used, it it is set about 3/16 off the headlight itself. Should protect really well, and still let the light through just fine.
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: Lamin X headlight film   Lamin X headlight film EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 11:24 am

DougZ wrote:
So, I promptly made a small protector from 1/8" lexan.

You going to make me one of those? I'll get my own velcro Very happy
Back to top Go down
DougZ

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: Lamin X headlight film   Lamin X headlight film EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 11:49 am

trav72 wrote:
DougZ wrote:
So, I promptly made a small protector from 1/8" lexan.

You going to make me one of those? I'll get my own velcro Very happy

Sure..when I get paid for the tool tube. LOL
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: Lamin X headlight film   Lamin X headlight film EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 11:59 am

DougZ wrote:

Sure..when I get paid for the tool tube. LOL

Then get busy!
Back to top Go down
joenuclear

joenuclear

PostSubject: Re: Lamin X headlight film   Lamin X headlight film EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 7:05 pm

That film does a great job of holding your broken headlight together. Stopping the break?...... not so much.
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: Lamin X headlight film   Lamin X headlight film EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 10:03 pm

joenuclear wrote:
That film does a great job of holding your broken headlight together. Stopping the break?...... not so much.

thumb
Back to top Go down
WR250X

WR250X

PostSubject: Re: Lamin X headlight film   Lamin X headlight film EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 10:55 pm

That laminX is great stuff. Ive used the 20mil clear on cars before and know for a fact its saved my Ecode headlights on multiple occasions.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! I only just thought about getting some for the bike now that the topic came up!
Back to top Go down
DougZ

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: Lamin X headlight film   Lamin X headlight film EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 12:47 pm

I think the film would do fine for anyone riding with an SM, on the street. But anyone that rides dirt, and has chance of getting roosted, the film would probably do nothing.
Back to top Go down
WR250X

WR250X

PostSubject: Re: Lamin X headlight film   Lamin X headlight film EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 9:41 pm

DougZ wrote:
I think the film would do fine for anyone riding with an SM, on the street. But anyone that rides dirt, and has chance of getting roosted, the film would probably do nothing.

agreed
Back to top Go down
DougZ

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: Lamin X headlight film   Lamin X headlight film EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 8:05 pm

I had the camera out tonight when I was messing with the bike, so I figured I'd take a shot of the shield I made. Simple but effective. 1/8" plexiglas cut to 3.5" X 5". Stuck to headlight with "EZ pass" 3M plastic velcro, in corners.

Lamin X headlight film Shield1
Back to top Go down
joenuclear

joenuclear

PostSubject: Re: Lamin X headlight film   Lamin X headlight film EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 8:44 pm

Nice!
Back to top Go down
DougZ

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: Lamin X headlight film   Lamin X headlight film EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 8:46 pm

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Hertz

Hertz

PostSubject: Re: Lamin X headlight film   Lamin X headlight film EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 9:40 pm

I'm curious why you chose to use Velcro. Do you need to take it off frequently or something?
Back to top Go down
DougZ

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: Lamin X headlight film   Lamin X headlight film EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 7:17 am

Yeah, if it gets scratched up, I can just cut a new one and put it on.
Back to top Go down
Onetrackmind

PostSubject: Re: Lamin X headlight film   Lamin X headlight film EmptyThu May 05, 2011 11:23 am

DougZ wrote:

That look's great! Where is a good place to purchase Lexan? deal

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
DougZ

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: Lamin X headlight film   Lamin X headlight film EmptyThu May 05, 2011 11:27 am

Onetrackmind wrote:
DougZ wrote:

Thanks!

Glad you like it. Either Mcmastercarr.com or Tapplastics.com will have it.
Back to top Go down
spadgitt

PostSubject: Re: Lamin X headlight film   Lamin X headlight film EmptyThu May 05, 2011 12:51 pm

Onetrackmind wrote:
DougZ wrote:

Thanks!

If you need just a small piece of Lexan, you should be able to get that at a full service glass shop. Not many of them around any more so you may have to make a few phone calls.
Just be sure to get Lexan. Plexiglass is not nearly as strong nor is it as resistive to UV or heat.

Scott P.
Back to top Go down
Onetrackmind

PostSubject: Re: Lamin X headlight film   Lamin X headlight film EmptyThu May 05, 2011 4:05 pm

spadgitt wrote:
Onetrackmind wrote:
DougZ wrote:

Thanks!

If you need just a small piece of Lexan, you should be able to get that at a full service glass shop. Not many of them around any more so you may have to make a few phone calls.
Just be sure to get Lexan. Plexiglass is not nearly as strong nor is it as resistive to UV or heat.

Scott P.

Any tricks on cutting and working with Lexan? I need make a couple of these for two different bikes.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
DougZ

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: Lamin X headlight film   Lamin X headlight film EmptyThu May 05, 2011 4:14 pm

I cut mine real quick and easy with a dremel and small cutting wheel. I have also cut lexan with a jigsaw before. Just have to make sure to leave the plastic film on both sides and not let the piece you are cutting get caught up in bouncing. ( anyone who has cut aluminum sheet or sheet metal should know what I mean)
Back to top Go down
Onetrackmind

PostSubject: Re: Lamin X headlight film   Lamin X headlight film EmptyThu May 05, 2011 5:16 pm

DougZ wrote:
I cut mine real quick and easy with a dremel and small cutting wheel. I have also cut lexan with a jigsaw before. Just have to make sure to leave the plastic film on both sides and not let the piece you are cutting get caught up in bouncing. ( anyone who has cut aluminum sheet or sheet metal should know what I mean)

Thanks! That helps thumb
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Lamin X headlight film   Lamin X headlight film EmptyFri May 06, 2011 4:46 am

Home Depot sells small sheets of lexan.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lamin X headlight film   Lamin X headlight film Empty

Back to top Go down

Lamin X headlight film
Page 1 of 1