Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

6,700 Miles Too Much? What would you pay?

Go down 
+3
Jäger
trav72
WeazyBuddha
7 posters
AuthorMessage
WeazyBuddha

WeazyBuddha

6,700 Miles Too Much?  What would you pay? Empty
PostSubject: 6,700 Miles Too Much? What would you pay?   6,700 Miles Too Much?  What would you pay? EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 2:00 pm

Looking for an 09 WR250Rs but not many out there. Found an 09 with 6,700 miles. From the pictures it looks clean and perhaps used as a commuter. Is that too many miles? How much would you pay--before or after taxes (pick one). Thanks in advance...
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: 6,700 Miles Too Much? What would you pay?   6,700 Miles Too Much?  What would you pay? EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 2:19 pm

No it's not to much! Valve checks aren't even required until 26000 miles. This isn't a high HP race motor. It's built to last. There are also a few members here with over 20,000 miles and counting on their WRR's. As for price, that's a tough one as there are a lot of factors involved. But if you think the price is right, go get it and ride!
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: 6,700 Miles Too Much? What would you pay?   6,700 Miles Too Much?  What would you pay? EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 2:22 pm

Not a lot of miles, but it is mileage just after the first major maintenance schedule.

Did the previous owner do all those things or ignore the maintenance cycle? Or do them long before they were due? That's not a lot of miles for this bike, but that's a fair amount of use by the current owner. I wouldn't be concerned by the number of miles, but I would want to get an idea of how he looked after the bike, even as a commuter. And visually have a look at the bike to get an idea of how it's been used, of course.

Price depends on the area you're in. With leftovers running around $5k in a lot of places, I'd be looking at a price of around $3000 before I'd give up the peace of mind of having a new bike from day one and the warranty to go with it. If you're on a strict budget or are happy with wrenching and are confident you can deal with anything other than an abused/damaged motor (however unlikely), then maybe you'll go a lot higher to stay away from paying the cost of a new leftover.
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

PostSubject: Re: 6,700 Miles Too Much? What would you pay?   6,700 Miles Too Much?  What would you pay? EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 3:07 pm

I paid $3,500 OTD for my 08 with 1,800 miles back in January. I'd say that you can purchase the one you are looking at for less.
Back to top Go down
WeazyBuddha

WeazyBuddha

PostSubject: Re: 6,700 Miles Too Much? What would you pay?   6,700 Miles Too Much?  What would you pay? EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 12:09 am

Thanks guys, great feedback and very much appreciated.

Lurkers , please step up to the circle and join this conversation. Give me your thoughts.

I'm tempted by the bike because it seems that not too many WR's come up for sale and I may end up waiting a long time. I'm not rich but I can purchase new without a problem but I hesitate because I spend an ungodly amount of money on motorcycles. I have four in the stable with untold amounts in farkles and gear. Wait a minute, that's actually an argument to purchase new. The relative difference viewed against the money I have in bikes and gear is not very much. scratch
Back to top Go down
Shoootr

Shoootr

PostSubject: Re: 6,700 Miles Too Much? What would you pay?   6,700 Miles Too Much?  What would you pay? EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 3:43 am

I think $3000 range sounds about right too. See if they have a record of the oil changes.

I have the R and will have it set up the way I want this summer, then will be looking for a used X (or new if I can't find one) for my winter project.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: 6,700 Miles Too Much? What would you pay?   6,700 Miles Too Much?  What would you pay? EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 4:14 am

WeazyBuddha wrote:
I'm not rich but I can purchase new without a problem but I hesitate because I spend an ungodly amount of money on motorcycles. I have four in the stable with untold amounts in farkles and gear. Wait a minute, that's actually an argument to purchase new. The relative difference viewed against the money I have in bikes and gear is not very much. scratch
Kinda depends on how you look at it, doesn't it?

If you're only saving $1500 off a new bike by buying one with 6500 miles that you don't really know how it was treated all that time, why not buy new if you're not on a tight budget?

I buy all my vehicles new - have had only a few vehicles in my lifetime, but I keep them forever. The truck is a '95 Dodge Ram Diesel 4x4 that I am regularly being asked if I want to sell because it doesn't have all that extra shyte on it. The truck before that was an '81 S10, that the only reason I sold it was because I went overseas on a tour in '93 and the rules for personal vehicle storage then would have killed me and a buddy offered me way more money for the S10 than it was worth with its high mileage (maybe not, he's still driving it). I fully intend to be driving that Dodge when I turn 90 and they take my driver's license away.

So if you're the kind of guy that carefully picks the vehicle you want, sets it up just the way you want it, and then runs it forever, buying brand shiney new so you know exactly what you are getting and can break it in and run it the way you want it, new is not a bad strategy.

On the other hand, when I bought my shiny new in the crate bike, I missed a "used" WR250R for... $3500 I think it was. The guy bought a new one from the local dealer that I had been looking at but the dealer wouldn't budge on. He rode it for 180 miles in one day, decided he wanted a quad instead, and put it up for sale for $3500. I would have been all over that, and to hell with totally new.

There's still deals out there, but the prices in the new and used WRR market are tightening up a bit. Maybe $4.00+ a gallon fuel has something to do with that.

You realize there's an '08 WRR with 100 miles, supposedly a $1000 in farkles (including pipe and programmer), located in College Station in your state, for sale right here in the flea market, right? Asking $3600

https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t4269-fs-2008-wr-250-r-in-texas
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: 6,700 Miles Too Much? What would you pay?   6,700 Miles Too Much?  What would you pay? EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 7:09 am

I tend to buy used when I can, farkles and gear, too. When pricing bikes, I check at the bank for loan value and go up from there. Kelly Blue Book and NADA guides are online, too. Best of luck, shopping can be tough.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: 6,700 Miles Too Much? What would you pay?   6,700 Miles Too Much?  What would you pay? EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 2:07 pm

With 6700 miles, I'd offer $2500 and go from there. There are a bunch out there with less miles for not much more.

That being said, I'm one of those who buys new for the sake of having no headaches about what the previous owner did or didn't do. 23,000 miles and counting on mine. wings
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 6,700 Miles Too Much? What would you pay?   6,700 Miles Too Much?  What would you pay? Empty

Back to top Go down

6,700 Miles Too Much? What would you pay?
Page 1 of 1