Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

K&N air filter

Go down 
+11
aaronhall555
Mikechicago
mattf
SheWolf
WRXer
Mr.Metal
galland1
simonpig
Krabill
edwardhill1995
dirtytrixx400
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
dirtytrixx400

dirtytrixx400

K&N air filter Empty
PostSubject: K&N air filter   K&N air filter EmptySun Apr 26, 2009 9:05 am

anyone using a K&N airfilter?
Back to top Go down
edwardhill1995

K&N air filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: K&N air filter   K&N air filter EmptySun Apr 26, 2009 4:32 pm

I am
Back to top Go down
dirtytrixx400

dirtytrixx400

K&N air filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: K&N air filter   K&N air filter EmptyTue Apr 28, 2009 3:44 pm

i figured there would be alot of folks using them. i plan on swapping my stock foam filter for one soon.
Back to top Go down
Krabill

K&N air filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: K&N air filter   K&N air filter EmptyWed Apr 29, 2009 5:18 pm

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't use one if you plan on riding in the dirt. They don't filter out the small stuff as well as a foam/oil filter does.
Back to top Go down
dirtytrixx400

dirtytrixx400

K&N air filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: K&N air filter   K&N air filter EmptyThu Apr 30, 2009 12:47 am

Krabill wrote:
Just my opinion, but I wouldn't use one if you plan on riding in the dirt. They don't filter out the small stuff as well as a foam/oil filter does.

thanks for the opinion

i've used them on everything i've owned that they were available for. never a problem.the trick is to not ever let it "dry out". use the k&n cleaner and oil only and your good.

i'm a newbie dualsporter,but a life long dirtrider. thumb
Back to top Go down
simonpig

simonpig

K&N air filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: K&N air filter   K&N air filter EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 1:23 pm

I use 2 filters for convenience. I use the K&N when the uni is being washed and dried and vice versa. If I plan on doing a dual sport ride, I make sure I have the UNI on vs. the KN.
Back to top Go down
galland1

galland1

K&N air filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: K&N air filter   K&N air filter EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 6:19 pm

IMO the K&N has better filtration, but it will plug up much quicker in rough conditions.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

K&N air filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: K&N air filter   K&N air filter EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 2:12 am

For what it's worth... I just put a No-Toil high flow filter in my WRR. I like the fact that it's "green", makes me sleep better at night. In addition, call me crazy, but I swear the bike pulls harder now. Granted, I have all the other power mods, but I think this really completed the package.
Back to top Go down
WRXer

K&N air filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: K&N air filter   K&N air filter EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 1:15 pm

K&Ns are more porous than the foam, I've compared them side by side for my old XR650L
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

K&N air filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: K&N air filter   K&N air filter EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 1:47 pm

Hence why it's not a good idea to run them when you're riding off-road in dry conditions. Dusted engine, anyone? eeek

Mr.Metal

K&N air filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: K&N air filter   K&N air filter EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 4:44 pm

Right, exactly why I didn't go with a K&N on my WRR. I have one on my V-Strom, but that's pretty much a road-only bike. I'm really liking the No-Toil so far K&N air filter 379944
Back to top Go down
simonpig

simonpig

K&N air filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: K&N air filter   K&N air filter EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 9:26 pm

What makes the No Toil "Green".

Mr.Metal wrote:
For what it's worth... I just put a No-Toil high flow filter in my WRR. I like the fact that it's "green", makes me sleep better at night. In addition, call me crazy, but I swear the bike pulls harder now. Granted, I have all the other power mods, but I think this really completed the package.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

K&N air filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: K&N air filter   K&N air filter EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 9:31 pm

Environmentally friendly. No alcohol, biodegradable, non toxic, non flammable, and it's actually green. thumb

K&N air filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: K&N air filter   K&N air filter EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 1:00 pm

I have the K&N, but like some others said I also swap it back to the foam filter when I am going offroading.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

K&N air filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: K&N air filter   K&N air filter EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 12:00 am

The one I got is off-white in the main element, with a bright pink lower/inner element. But as SheWolf said, it's "green" in that it's (supposedly) very environmentally friendly. Now, I'm no tree hugger, but if I can do something to help and keep our world clean(er), then I'm all for it. It's bad enough I have three internal combustion vehicles registered to my name. K&N air filter 619190

SheWolf wrote:
Environmentally friendly. No alcohol, biodegradable, non toxic, non flammable, and it's actually green. thumb
Back to top Go down
simonpig

simonpig

K&N air filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: K&N air filter   K&N air filter EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 9:16 pm

After running the K+N back to back with the UNI, my but dyno says the KN make the bike breath better, but you probably already know this. I can feel the lowend torque drop going to the foam UNI.

galland1 wrote:
IMO the K&N has better filtration, but it will plug up much quicker in rough conditions.
Back to top Go down
Mikechicago

Mikechicago

K&N air filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: K&N air filter   K&N air filter EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 1:10 am

So I mainly do On Road riding with my X, but I want the option to to take that gravel/ off road if I ever find one. Did I make a mistake buying my kn???? Im in the chicagoland area so I dont see dirt often, but sometimes it comes up. What do you all think? Should I switch?
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

K&N air filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: K&N air filter   K&N air filter EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 1:12 am

I was gonna go that route but I was told by more than one person (including various mechanics) to NOT use it because it doesn't filter out the fine particulate matter. I'd hate to dust the engine so I didn't bother getting it. lurk

aaronhall555

K&N air filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: K&N air filter   K&N air filter EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 3:17 am

Mr.Metal wrote:
The one I got is off-white in the main element, with a bright pink lower/inner element. But as SheWolf said, it's "green" in that it's (supposedly) very environmentally friendly. Now, I'm no tree hugger, but if I can do something to help and keep our world clean(er), then I'm all for it. It's bad enough I have three internal combustion vehicles registered to my name. K&N air filter 619190

SheWolf wrote:
I love my No-toil filter and biodegradable oil!!!!!! It's EXTREMELY easy and actually pleasing to clean, as opposed to other filters where you have to use hazardous and fumigating solvents to clean them and they still don't seem to get completely clean while still reeking of the solvents..... Too clean the no-toil filter I literally just use a small bucket with some water and generous amount of GAIN laundry detergent(GAIN smells the best says my girlfriend, and I personally find it removes the no-toil the best), let it sit for a few minutes, squeeze and shake it around in the GAIN/Water, hose it out, and let it dry out. When done, it smells and feels like you can rub it all over your face and breath through it for the rest of the day.... of course I don't do that though :). Ok, that just sounds weird. haha

Sometimes to speed the drying process up I'll actually bring the filter inside and set it on top of a fan, and again the girl friend actually enjoys the smell of it while it's inside drying! Seriously though.
Back to top Go down
Mikechicago

Mikechicago

K&N air filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: K&N air filter   K&N air filter EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 1:25 pm

So than It looks like I wasted $50. So should I go Twin Air or No toil???
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

K&N air filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: K&N air filter   K&N air filter EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 1:35 pm

Depends what you want, they both do the same job. If you like to go environmental, go with the NoToil. thumb

Mikechicago

K&N air filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: K&N air filter   K&N air filter EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 1:47 pm

Well if they both give the same good intake I'll go green. But I just gutted my airbox so I want to replace the kn soon

K&N air filter 06181110
Back to top Go down
ToaadWR

ToaadWR

K&N air filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: K&N air filter   K&N air filter EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 9:43 pm

If you plan on going with a K&N filter i would highly recommend putting a piece of weather stripping around the outside of the filter to help it seat better on the airbox, i ran mine without and after a few rides i noticed a lot of junk built up all around the filter in between the filter and the airbox, i put a piece of weather stripping around it and loaded it with grease to help catch anything before it goes in the engine and now nothing is getting past it.

For what its worth, i also only run my K&N with my supermoto tires, they are not the best off-road filters. I use a uni with my dirt set
Back to top Go down
millert85

K&N air filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: K&N air filter   K&N air filter EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 1:31 am

DON'T use a K&N in a dirt going bike, no matter who tells you what. there has been a number of independant tests that show k&n's don't filter as well as other brands (hence the increased airflow).

twin air or the no-toil basically the same thing. you can use the no-toil oil on any foam filter, but start with a new filter. i sell it, but not a big fan. it tends to "dry out" more than an actual oil and goes very tacky (don't pre-oil and leave sit in a ziplock bag, and you know your in trouble when they sell a concentrated cleaner to get the shit out of your airbox). also if you really want a "green" filter get the hiflo filtro, it is exactly the same as the twin air, but green foam :)

personal preference is twin air (cause i get them cheaper :P ) with motorex 206 a/f oil
Back to top Go down
TBird1

TBird1

K&N air filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: K&N air filter   K&N air filter EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 10:54 pm

I remember seeing an article in a car magazine a while back where an engine builder dropped K+N filters because they could see dirt streaks through the intake manifolds. They went back to very large paper filters instead.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

K&N air filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: K&N air filter   K&N air filter Empty

Back to top Go down

K&N air filter
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next