Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

ims 4.75 install

Go down 
+4
liftdt4r
little squirt
trav72
rydnseek
8 posters
AuthorMessage
rydnseek

rydnseek

ims 4.75 install Empty
PostSubject: ims 4.75 install   ims 4.75 install EmptyThu May 05, 2011 9:33 pm

I saw a box today at the front of the garage.. maybe the first 4.75 g. ims tank in common consumer hands! So i quickly took off my old 3.1 tank, & began putting it together.

The instructions are pretty slim, as they were on the 3.1 ims tank. I took off the mounting brackets & mounted them on the new tank.

Not much stuff came with it.. a vacuum hose, vent hose, o-ring, cap, directons, stickers.

Photobucket

I dry mounted the tank, & was not happy with the clearance of the flatlander radiator guard. It slightly touched the tank, which i felt could rub a hole in the tank with use. So i bent the edges of the rad guard & it has better clearance.

Photobucket

I mounted the fuel pump, after zip tying the lift pump hose to it. No zip ties came with the tank, but i have those around. this tube is inside the tank.

Photobucket

Now a 't' comes with the tank, which is supposed to be spliced into a vacuum tube coming out of the throttle body. Some of us have removed some stock doo dads, which left a port in the throttle body. I had it plugged, but forgot about it. I called up my old buddy Tom to ask what he did when he installed his Safari. He reminded my of the extra port & i plugged the longer tube (the vent tube) into it. The shorter tube won't reach.. it is meant to splice into the t. It's hard to see without pointers or arrows, but it is the 2 adjacent tubes going into the throttle body.

Photobucket

Next, bolt it down. I had to twist the 3.1 a bit to get the bolts to line up.. no different here. But people shouldn't get upset.. it is a flexible plastic tank. Just push it until the holes line up. Screw them in & forget it.

Now i've got about a 300 mile range.. nice!

Photobucket

I put my saddle bags over the tank.. it's wider but the bags fit better than on the 3.1. I think i'm going to like this tank.

scotty
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

ims 4.75 install Empty
PostSubject: Re: ims 4.75 install   ims 4.75 install EmptyThu May 05, 2011 9:47 pm

Awesome! I'm a little confused as to exactly what you do with the vacuum tube but I guess I'll figure it out once I get the stock tank off. Thanks for the pics!
Back to top Go down
little squirt

little squirt

ims 4.75 install Empty
PostSubject: Re: ims 4.75 install   ims 4.75 install EmptyThu May 05, 2011 9:53 pm

good deal, you going to take any pics of the whole bike? damn, after seeing my fuel light come on after 80 miles this might be pretty nice if i ever move! thanks for the write up thumb
Back to top Go down
rydnseek

rydnseek

ims 4.75 install Empty
PostSubject: Re: ims 4.75 install   ims 4.75 install EmptyThu May 05, 2011 10:47 pm

Photobucket
Back to top Go down
liftdt4r

liftdt4r

ims 4.75 install Empty
PostSubject: Re: ims 4.75 install   ims 4.75 install EmptyFri May 06, 2011 2:16 pm

Nice! You should definietly be able to put on some miles with that tank.

Are you selling the 3.1 by any chance?
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

ims 4.75 install Empty
PostSubject: Re: ims 4.75 install   ims 4.75 install EmptyFri May 06, 2011 4:10 pm

THAT IS A LOT OF TANK, SIR!

I'm fine with my 3.1, but dang, that is bigger than the bike.
Back to top Go down
rydnseek

rydnseek

ims 4.75 install Empty
PostSubject: Re: ims 4.75 install   ims 4.75 install EmptySat May 07, 2011 7:54 pm

Here's some more daylight pics from a ride i went on yesterday. ..better to see the wild wrx in it's native habitat. I'll review it on handling, etc later..

My riding buddies.. GAHHHH

Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

ims 4.75 install Empty
PostSubject: Re: ims 4.75 install   ims 4.75 install EmptySat May 07, 2011 8:04 pm

Love that Sedona, is that the road leading from the freeway across and down to the town?
Back to top Go down
rydnseek

rydnseek

ims 4.75 install Empty
PostSubject: Re: ims 4.75 install   ims 4.75 install EmptySun May 08, 2011 10:13 am

GusinCA wrote:
Love that Sedona, is that the road leading from the freeway across and down to the town?

Yes, the 1st pic is the venerable Schnebly hill road. The others are around Stoneman Lake.. which is the largest natural lake in Az! Rolling Eyes

I am planning on selling the 3.1, i haven't had time to assess it's value, or post an ad.. i'll certainly entertain all offers. I'll also post a review soon of the handling & ride worthiness of the tank, since i took it on the ride.
later.
scotty
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

ims 4.75 install Empty
PostSubject: Re: ims 4.75 install   ims 4.75 install EmptySun May 08, 2011 11:45 am

Schnelby hill, that's right.
I was there not too long ago with my old XT225:

ims 4.75 install 2245copy

ims 4.75 install 2265copy

ims 4.75 install 2275copy

ims 4.75 install 2278copy

I've been thinking about coming back with my wife and daughter (they ride a 4x4 dual seat quad). I'll send you a message asking for advice on places to go when I get the trip organized. Nothing like local knowledge to get to the best places in a short time...
Back to top Go down
nu_b

nu_b

ims 4.75 install Empty
PostSubject: Re: ims 4.75 install   ims 4.75 install EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 4:00 pm

rydnseek wrote:
Here's some more daylight pics from a ride i went on yesterday. ..better to see the wild wrx in it's native habitat. I'll review it on handling, etc later..

Scotty, any updates on handling, etc.?
Back to top Go down
addikted2boost

addikted2boost

ims 4.75 install Empty
PostSubject: ?   ims 4.75 install EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 4:17 pm

that tank is freaking huuuuge it makes me wonder why you bought a bike with such a small tank in the 1st place?

but im sure its probly the same reason y i bought my x and plan on putting a bbkit and turbo on mine. instead of just buying a husqavarna or ktm, its bc were craaazy n like to waist money poser2
Back to top Go down
rydnseek

rydnseek

ims 4.75 install Empty
PostSubject: Re: ims 4.75 install   ims 4.75 install EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 6:47 pm

nu_b wrote:
rydnseek wrote:

Scotty, any updates on handling, etc.?

I got back a couple of weeks ago from a 4 day grand canyon ride.. nice to not worry about gas! I did not notice any handling difference.. downhill in rocks, sand, or fast dirt roads were about the same to me. I did not notice any 'sloshing' or weight shift. The tank is wider, & when i put my tank panniers on for the ride, they were down too low & hindered my forward sitting position. I pulled the panniers up & zip tied them higher & my knees slide under the bags when in the front seating position.

addikted2boost wrote:
that tank is freaking huuuuge it makes me wonder why you bought a bike with such a small tank in the 1st place?

but im sure its probly the same reason y i bought my x and plan on putting a bbkit and turbo on mine. instead of just buying a husqavarna or ktm, its bc were craaazy n like to waist money poser2

I can't figure out why Yamaha would put a 1.9g tank on this bike.. It should have come with at least a 2.5 or 3.. it's supposed to be a dual sport bike, not a track race bike. It was probably a looks, marketing, & weight thing.

I am quite satisfied with the tank. It gives me more range without attaching other racks, tanks or bags. I have over 270 miles on the current tank, & am waiting to see how far it will go. I suspect it will be well over 300.

Here's a pic without the panniers:

Here is with the panniers..

Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

ims 4.75 install Empty
PostSubject: Re: ims 4.75 install   ims 4.75 install EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 7:10 pm

thumb Awesome Scotty! Love the hair, makes me wanna come up and fuzzle yer head. Very happy

trav72

ims 4.75 install Empty
PostSubject: Re: ims 4.75 install   ims 4.75 install EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 7:30 pm

I dig the jacket. Very happy
rydnseek wrote:

Here's a pic without the panniers:

Back to top Go down
nu_b

nu_b

ims 4.75 install Empty
PostSubject: Re: ims 4.75 install   ims 4.75 install EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 9:29 pm

rydnseek wrote:
I got back a couple of weeks ago from a 4 day grand canyon ride.. nice to not worry about gas! I did not notice any handling difference.. downhill in rocks, sand, or fast dirt roads were about the same to me. I did not notice any 'sloshing' or weight shift. The tank is wider, & when i put my tank panniers on for the ride, they were down too low & hindered my forward sitting position. I pulled the panniers up & zip tied them higher & my knees slide under the bags when in the front seating position.

Thank you very much! thumb
Back to top Go down
rydnseek

rydnseek

ims 4.75 install Empty
PostSubject: Re: ims 4.75 install   ims 4.75 install EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 11:24 am

SheWolf wrote:
thumb Awesome Scotty! Love the hair, makes me wanna come up and fuzzle yer head. Very happy

I need my head fuzzled! It's been unfuzzled for too long now..

trav72 wrote:
I dig the jacket. Very happy

I like it, too. Its a fieldsheer, I got it cheap, & it has all the armor, plus several venting zippers. I usually wear my mesh jacket on this ride, but it was cold this week.. got down to 27 on one of the mornings at the GC. So i decided to wear the full leather jacket. I was glad i did.. no problem getting hot.
scotty
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

ims 4.75 install Empty
PostSubject: Re: ims 4.75 install   ims 4.75 install Empty

Back to top Go down

ims 4.75 install
Page 1 of 1