Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Disaster at Devil's Den...but not really

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
badmotoscooter

badmotoscooter

Disaster at Devil's Den...but not really Empty
PostSubject: Disaster at Devil's Den...but not really   Disaster at Devil's Den...but not really EmptyWed Apr 29, 2009 12:47 pm

first off, i'm worthless and weak...you need to know that to give yourself perspective for the following.

On Sunday, March 26th I made my way south to Devil's Den State Park to meet boogni1sh who had camped out there with his buds. Around 10:30am or so, we're geared up and ready to go and take a dirt road just a mile or so when we take the first trail we see. It's soft and muddy and silty for a while but we quickly come across Lee Creek which runs right through the heart of Devil's Den. boogni1sh goes over first, no real problems. I follow in 'okay' form but i get across at least. We ride on but the trail very quickly ends and we turn around for the reverse crossing. boogn1sh really does a perfect crossing and I begin in and in no time I've lost the front and it's in the drink. I get it up as soon as i can but even at that point I knew the day was toast. Long story short: two and half hours later (and after my mechanic's best efforts) the thing is D-E-A-D. Disaster at Devil's Den...but not really 006

So, now we're a good distance from the road, at the lowest point of elevation to the road, in the middle of a river rock minefield...with a bum bike. Needlesss to say, boogn1sh and I took our sweet ass time and didn't rush around 'cause it was so early in the day...I was kicking myself inside 'cause it could've been such an awesome ride just from the little we got to see.
Disaster at Devil's Den...but not really 009

Disaster at Devil's Den...but not really 012

Getting out was hell for a bit...we actually hooked up some NRS straps and boogn1sh started to pull me to the road...but it was ROUGH going. Finally two guys on four-wheelers came up and offered help (don't know who you are but you're Saints) and we we're at the road in minutes. A quick trip by boogn1sh to the truck and back and we we're gone. I am SO happy we decided to 'trailer' that day. If ya want, it's pretty much documented in great detail here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xieqS7PlEI8
Back to top Go down
boogn1sh

boogn1sh

PostSubject: Re: Disaster at Devil's Den...but not really   Disaster at Devil's Den...but not really EmptyWed Apr 29, 2009 2:39 pm

Tragedy + Time = Comedy.

It took about 2.5 minutes before I found the situation humorous, I'm sure it took Pete a few minutes longer...

here's a few shots I captured.

Disaster at Devil's Den...but not really DSCN2395

Disaster at Devil's Den...but not really DSCN2398

Disaster at Devil's Den...but not really DSCN2399

Disaster at Devil's Den...but not really DSCN2400

View of the trail. Wide and smooth compared to the typical rocky AR trails.

Disaster at Devil's Den...but not really DSCN2401

Disaster at Devil's Den...but not really DSCN2402

Opps, somebody got wet.

Disaster at Devil's Den...but not really DSCN2403

Disaster at Devil's Den...but not really DSCN2404

Where we spent most of the day.

Disaster at Devil's Den...but not really DSCN2410

Disaster at Devil's Den...but not really DSCN2415

Disaster at Devil's Den...but not really DSCN2426

We're skipping the bath tonight, straight to bed

Disaster at Devil's Den...but not really DSCN2438
Back to top Go down
JaiDee

JaiDee

PostSubject: Re: Disaster at Devil's Den...but not really   Disaster at Devil's Den...but not really EmptyWed Apr 29, 2009 6:23 pm

Sorry to hear about you run in w/Lee Creek badmotorscooter! What's the update on your bike? Did you end up taking it to BBoar?
-JD
Back to top Go down
badmotoscooter

badmotoscooter

PostSubject: Re: Disaster at Devil's Den...but not really   Disaster at Devil's Den...but not really EmptyWed Apr 29, 2009 8:19 pm

yeah, i'm still waiting on them...the guy indicated yestrerday that he didn't think there would be any damage. but who knows.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Disaster at Devil's Den...but not really   Disaster at Devil's Den...but not really EmptyWed Apr 29, 2009 9:39 pm

Keep us posted Pete. Glad you faired ok; I know sometimes creek dumps can fare more than a drowned bike. eeek SLimy, slippery rocks meets rubber tires and next thing you know your face is kissing rocks. Even with a full face lid I managed to open my beak on a rather nasty rock.

0007onWR

PostSubject: Re: Disaster at Devil's Den...but not really   Disaster at Devil's Den...but not really EmptyWed Apr 29, 2009 9:53 pm

Ughhhh
Good day for bikin, Bad day for swimmin
Back to top Go down
badmotoscooter

badmotoscooter

PostSubject: Re: Disaster at Devil's Den...but not really   Disaster at Devil's Den...but not really EmptyFri May 01, 2009 10:40 am

....actually, the water wasn't all that bad Very happy

heard from my guy at Big Boar late yesterday...he said they dried it out and that it was running fine. he said i'd want to change out the oil like two times in the next 100 miles or so. when i asked about future problems he indicated that there could be something there but he felt confident there would be no further problems. how's that for 'factory' talk?

so, i'll go pick up the 'little hog' later this morning but i'm really in no hurry. it's supposed to rain here for the next 15 days or so. not that i couldn't ride in the rain....actually, no...i CAN'T ride in the rain.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Disaster at Devil's Den...but not really   Disaster at Devil's Den...but not really EmptyFri May 01, 2009 10:52 am

Well, it's good to hear it's alive still...a little unnerving tho to have that little thing in the back of your head goin.."wonder if this thing's gonna throw a rod..." That would drive me nuts. I guess all you can do is hop on that little firecracker and just hope for the best. thumb

badmotoscooter

PostSubject: Re: Disaster at Devil's Den...but not really   Disaster at Devil's Den...but not really EmptyFri May 01, 2009 11:57 am

and that's EXACTLY what's goin' thru my mind eeek
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Disaster at Devil's Den...but not really   Disaster at Devil's Den...but not really Empty

Back to top Go down

Disaster at Devil's Den...but not really
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum :: Ride Related :: Adventure Reports-
Jump to: