Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

520 chain conversion problems

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
BoredAzHell20

520 chain conversion problems Empty
PostSubject: 520 chain conversion problems   520 chain conversion problems EmptyMon May 09, 2011 10:25 pm

HI All,

New to the board and I just purchased a wr250x. Picture enclosed

Photobucket

The problem I am having is that the previous owner put a 520 chain on the bike with 12t front and 43 rear sprocket. I find my self going through gears like crazy so he still had the stock 42t rear sprocket. When I put that on I felt the bike making clicking noises and after 40 miles of riding I find out the 520 chain isn't sitting perfectly on the rear sprocket. After this experience I know why people call it a 520 conversion. It takes more than a new chain to use it. lol

My main question is what sprocket set up can I go with so I can still use the 520 chain while getting something similar to stock gearing. like 14t front and 43, 44, rear or 13 front and 43, 44, 45 rear.. Or if somebody knows a formula to figure out this out please let me know so I can do the research myself.

I tried looking through the search on the forum and even googling it, but all i found people say, "well if you want the 520 conversion you go with a blank front and blank back." Giving no rhyme or reason why they had to go with that configuration.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: 520 chain conversion problems   520 chain conversion problems EmptyMon May 09, 2011 10:49 pm

The bike comes stock with a 520 chain... scratch I replaced mine with yet again, another 520 chain only this time I went with a standard. IIRC, the 520 conversion is going to a smaller pitch (485??). If it already has a 520 on there, that's the one that's supposed to be on there. Maybe he went with an X-ring or the o-ring again; I don't really know. Is the chain having side movement on the sprocket? I'm trying to envision what you're dealing with. I know that chain tension is a huge debate on this bike; not saying you don't know how to tighten your chain but I'd start there.
As for going thru the gears, with the 12/42 you will be using more of them, yes. If you are going to do any off-roading with it, you'll really like that gear ratio. If you're just road commuting and doing highway/freeway runs, the 13/42 will do fine. Most riders find the 13/42 long legged off pavement (same as the 13/43 on the R), so it's just something to keep in mind. Can you possibly take some pics of where it's not sitting right?

PostSubject: Re: 520 chain conversion problems   520 chain conversion problems EmptyMon May 09, 2011 11:07 pm

SheWolf wrote:
The bike comes stock with a 520 chain... scratch I replaced mine with yet again, another 520 chain only this time I went with a standard. IIRC, the 520 conversion is going to a smaller pitch (485??). If it already has a 520 on there, that's the one that's supposed to be on there. Maybe he went with an X-ring or the o-ring again; I don't really know. Is the chain having side movement on the sprocket? I'm trying to envision what you're dealing with. I know that chain tension is a huge debate on this bike; not saying you don't know how to tighten your chain but I'd start there.
As for going thru the gears, with the 12/42 you will be using more of them, yes. If you are going to do any off-roading with it, you'll really like that gear ratio. If you're just road commuting and doing highway/freeway runs, the 13/42 will do fine. Most riders find the 13/42 long legged off pavement (same as the 13/43 on the R), so it's just something to keep in mind. Can you possibly take some pics of where it's not sitting right?

Thanks for the reply. I played with the chain a bit, really loose tension or mild, but it is having the same problem . As far as the size sprocket goes I don't really care as long it's not as short it is now -1 front and +1 on back. lol but yes, I am using it more for commuting and having the ability to disregard drive ways and stairs etc...

Below is a picture, on the right side of the sprocket everything sits fine dead on center, but when you look at top of the sprocket the teeth are touching the pins and not centered to the gap. There are no side movements on the sprocket.

Ok this might sound like a stupid question but the alignment lines on the rear axle bolts. I noticed one side has 11 lines and the other side has 9. Any reason for this? Do I disregard the first and the last line of the 11 mark side and match up with the lines on the 9? example: 11 line side. on line 2 - but on 9 line side on line 1. Never seen this with all of my supersport bikes.

Photobucket
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: 520 chain conversion problems   520 chain conversion problems EmptyMon May 09, 2011 11:27 pm

eeek Arghhh that dreaded stock rear sprocket! That thing has caused more problems than it's worth. I'm going to take a stab at this, but try replacing that rear sprocket with one that doesn't have that damned rubber damper on it. The stock chain doesn't even sit right on that thing.

I went and checked my axle blocks and I have the same setup as you do. I just made sure that I had the same number of lines matching up from the back end forward...like the lines on my swingarm are matching up with the second last set of lines on the axle blocks. Everything is dead center. thumb

PostSubject: Re: 520 chain conversion problems   520 chain conversion problems EmptyTue May 10, 2011 12:26 am

Oh poo. I guess back to the 43t rear. lol Now i have to buy myself a 13t or 14t front sprocket. Now I know why people don't like to buy cars or bikes with aftermarket parts.

thank you for the help.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: 520 chain conversion problems   520 chain conversion problems EmptyTue May 10, 2011 12:41 am

Yeah, that's more than likely what's causing the clicking noises too. You could sit and cut that rubber thing off of there if you get bored one night. wink

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: 520 chain conversion problems   520 chain conversion problems EmptyTue May 10, 2011 6:49 am

Just keep in mind that the reason you're, "going through gears like crazy" is because you're on a 250cc bike, now. :)
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: 520 chain conversion problems   520 chain conversion problems EmptyTue May 10, 2011 6:58 am

YZEtc wrote:
Just keep in mind that the reason you're, "going through gears like crazy" is because you're on a 250cc bike, now. :)

Bingo....that's the fun of a small bike.

I think the direction you want to go would make the bike a bigger turd than stock.

Unless you do lots of long distance freeway riding.........

The stock gearing, 13/42 sucks balls.

Going to 14/43 would be just as bad if not worse. No bottom-end torque.

What kind of riding do you normally do?
Is this your first bike? Or did you come from something else?

As Shewolf said - the stock rear with the rubber ring is probably the biggest piece of shit Yamaha has ever bolted onto a bike. Ditch that POS.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
BoredAzHell20

PostSubject: Re: 520 chain conversion problems   520 chain conversion problems EmptyTue May 10, 2011 5:11 pm

This is my 5th bike, but all of my other bikes were supersport bikes. 97 gsxr 750, 96 zx-7r, 02 r6, and 07 r6.

what I figured from all of my years of riding is:
I'm not going to hit the track - too much money. I don't care for stunting. I just like twisties so I will be at the canyons 40 percent of the time and the rest commuting and splitting through traffic.

So whats important to me right now:
Good fuel economy
light nimble bike
easy maintenance
Not being confined to paved roads

What I don't care for:
large engine displacement
see how fast I can go in a straight line

My gf ninja 250 gave me a an idea long gearing would be like on a 250. We added one tooth to the front and drop 2 to the rear. She can finally cruise 75mph on the freeway without hitting rev limiter. Yea the power isn't there, but it was still fun to ride.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: 520 chain conversion problems   520 chain conversion problems EmptyTue May 10, 2011 8:40 pm

FREEWAY?????????????????

puke topes :duh: D\'OH

Wrong bike if you're concerned with freeway riding.

I know you said other things....but that part stuck out a lot.

Gear it how you like, but going up one on front and a few on the rear will basically keep your bike in stock trim and that really in't a fun way to keep the X.

BUT - that's just my opinion. Stock gearing was highly uninspiring and dull. For me. And for many others here too.

I'll be interested to hear your reviews and reports of these changes.

Please keep us updated.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
BoredAzHell20

PostSubject: Re: 520 chain conversion problems   520 chain conversion problems EmptyWed May 11, 2011 3:30 am

I'm not changing the gearing that drastic. The previous owner had 12t front and 43t rear. I'm keeping the 43t rear since i am having problems with stock 42t rear sprocket and installed a 13t tooth front. It should be a tad shorter than stock. I'm sure somebody has this set up already.

That long gearing only works on the ninja since it is a lot more aero dynamtic than the wrx. Plus that would make the bike really REALLY boring.

As far as freeway riding I'm not riding the bike on the freeway for fun buts it's the only way to commute in southern Cali. Seems to be working fine, not the most stable bike in highway speeds but I already anticipated this.

So far loving the bike. It's everything I thought it would be. Power isnt an issue and its great fun in the canyons.
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: 520 chain conversion problems   520 chain conversion problems EmptyWed May 11, 2011 10:39 am

I ride FREEWAY in San Diego, twisties, etc.. Do yourself a favor and put a 13x45 or 13x46 on that bike. Worlds of differance from stock. Stock sucks. JMTC.
Back to top Go down
BoredAzHell20

PostSubject: Re: 520 chain conversion problems   520 chain conversion problems EmptyThu May 19, 2011 12:24 am

SheWolf wrote:
eeek Arghhh that dreaded stock rear sprocket! That thing has caused more problems than it's worth. I'm going to take a stab at this, but try replacing that rear sprocket with one that doesn't have that damned rubber damper on it. The stock chain doesn't even sit right on that thing.

I went and checked my axle blocks and I have the same setup as you do. I just made sure that I had the same number of lines matching up from the back end forward...like the lines on my swingarm are matching up with the second last set of lines on the axle blocks. Everything is dead center. thumb

You were so right on this suggestion. I guess the D.I.D. chain did not like the stock sprocket at all. Thank you so much for your help!
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: 520 chain conversion problems   520 chain conversion problems EmptyThu May 19, 2011 12:33 am

cheers thumb Glad it all worked out for you. freaky

PostSubject: Re: 520 chain conversion problems   520 chain conversion problems Empty

Back to top Go down

520 chain conversion problems
Page 1 of 1