Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Road Trippin

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
chadwageman

chadwageman

Road Trippin Empty
PostSubject: Road Trippin   Road Trippin EmptyTue May 10, 2011 4:00 pm

I just barely got the X! So freakin stoked. I have been reading your post's here on this site and am curious about doing a road trip on my new bike. its got 80 miles on it so far. would i be ok doing a trip 300 MI up I15 to salt lake from st george utah on this new bike? or should i wait to get some more mileage before i make the trip? i know there is a break in period, would that give me problems? anyone had any experience with this?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Road Trippin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Road Trippin   Road Trippin EmptyTue May 10, 2011 4:10 pm

If it's mostly interstate driving I wouldn't do it.

The break in period, while hotly controversial, is generally about not sitting in one gear, or at one rev level for extended periods of time.

Typically the idea is to work through the gears and change rev levels through the entire range.

If the trip is lots of secondary roads with stop lights, stop signs, pit stops, overlooks, and places where speed limits change from 35 to 65 and back around again you should be fine.

You do understand your gas tank might be going empty every 100 miles or so right?

Also - the seat takes many of us quite some time to get used to. 300 miles in one day might be a killer on your ass.

Generally speaking - what's the trip look like in terms of roads being traveled?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
chadwageman

chadwageman

Road Trippin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Road Trippin   Road Trippin EmptyTue May 10, 2011 4:14 pm

well i could do back roads, the more scenic route... or the interstate 75 plus mph. looks like ill be doing the scenic route! the roads aren't that bad, and like i said its the scenic route the back way around. should be fun. thanks for the info. any other road trips you guys have been on? i could use the advise
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

Road Trippin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Road Trippin   Road Trippin EmptyTue May 10, 2011 4:20 pm

I'm taking a 2500 mile trip on my bike at the end of this month. It will be mostly secondary scenic roads. However, I have to slab it over an hour and half on the Interstate to get to the start of the route and I'm dreading it. No way I would do 300 miles on the interstate. I didn't even like that on my VFR.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Road Trippin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Road Trippin   Road Trippin EmptyTue May 10, 2011 4:20 pm

All I'm saying is - if it was me in your shoes, I would not ride my brand new X for 300 miles on an interstate at 75mph.

Others may say something different.

You may want to make sure the back road route has gas stations within reasonable distances.

You people out in the wild west are spread out pretty good.

Hell - I'm pretty sure I wouldn't ride my X now for 300 miles on an interstate in one day, and I have over 6000 miles on mine.

I don't think my butt could handle that. Plus - the X isn't made for that. It would be a very annoying and boring ride.

But that's just me.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Road Trippin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Road Trippin   Road Trippin EmptyTue May 10, 2011 4:21 pm

trav72 wrote:
I'm taking a 2500 mile trip on my bike at the end of this month. It will be mostly secondary scenic roads. However, I have to slab it over an hour and half on the Interstate to get to the start of the route and I'm dreading it. No way I would do 300 miles on the interstate. I didn't even like that on my VFR.

Where you going?

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
chadwageman

chadwageman

Road Trippin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Road Trippin   Road Trippin EmptyTue May 10, 2011 4:32 pm

Haha i just mapped it out going the back roads, its 335 MI, says it would take 6 hr 37 min to ride. Good day ha. I dont know how your going to do 2500 miles. im dreading this trip. with lots of pit stops it should be ok.
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

Road Trippin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Road Trippin   Road Trippin EmptyTue May 10, 2011 5:31 pm

motokid wrote:

Where you going?

I'm riding down Skyline/Blue Ridge Pkwy, then we'll ride 129, Cherohala and 28 and back up Blue Ridge. I did it last year on my VFR with the same guys I'm going with this year. I hadn't planned on going but someone triple dog dared me to go on my 250. Well, here may or may not have been alcohol involved when I accepted. scratch So now I'm going. I'm sure my ass will be thanking me the entire time.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Road Trippin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Road Trippin   Road Trippin EmptyTue May 10, 2011 8:43 pm

trav72 wrote:
motokid wrote:

Where you going?

I'm riding down Skyline/Blue Ridge Pkwy, then we'll ride 129, Cherohala and 28 and back up Blue Ridge. I did it last year on my VFR with the same guys I'm going with this year. I hadn't planned on going but someone triple dog dared me to go on my 250. Well, here may or may not have been alcohol involved when I accepted. scratch So now I'm going. I'm sure my ass will be thanking me the entire time.

You still have stock gas tank right??????

Will you carry some extra gas?

When you leaving?

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

Road Trippin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Road Trippin   Road Trippin EmptyTue May 10, 2011 8:52 pm

motokid wrote:

You still have stock gas tank right??????

Will you carry some extra gas?

When you leaving?

Not anymore. Just installed tonight! cheers We're leaving Memorial Day.

Road Trippin Img-2010
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Road Trippin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Road Trippin   Road Trippin EmptyTue May 10, 2011 8:56 pm

Monday Memorial Day - or Saturday of Memorial Day weekend?

I assume you're at least hopping through Delaware to get south.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

Road Trippin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Road Trippin   Road Trippin EmptyTue May 10, 2011 8:59 pm

motokid wrote:
Monday Memorial Day - or Saturday of Memorial Day weekend?

I assume you're at least hopping through Delaware to get south.

Monday - Memorial Day. Yeah we're slabbing it down to MD where we'll jump on some back roads down to Front Royal.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Road Trippin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Road Trippin   Road Trippin EmptyTue May 10, 2011 9:20 pm

You taking beltway around Baltimore to 70 then to 340 ?

Nice friggin new tank to by the way. That's the 4.5 gallon?

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

Road Trippin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Road Trippin   Road Trippin EmptyTue May 10, 2011 9:36 pm

Yeah something like that. I can't remember the exact route.

Yep it's the IMS 4.75. I'll have plenty of range with that thing.
Back to top Go down
skierd

Road Trippin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Road Trippin   Road Trippin EmptyTue May 10, 2011 10:53 pm

If you give me a head's up, you'll be going right past my house (literally, I can see the beltway from my apartment) If I'm not working I might be interested in tagging along for part of that ride. thumb I'd love to do skyline drive again, and I can find you some creek crossings in southwestern MD on the way to Front Royal. deal Are you guys camping or hoteling it? Just to note, if you hit Baltimore around 8am be ready to sit in traffic and wait for a solid hour as you crawl your way around the northside of the beltway (I-695) from I-95. Usually clears up fully by 9:30-10am.

To the OP: The interstate will suck balls but is doable no problem if you've got the patience. Bring an ipod or something, I dunno, I get terribly bored on the slab. Take the scenic route and you'll be fine and much happier. Remember to vary the revs and try not to get too ham fisted with the throttle as you are still breaking it in, but don't be afraid to have fun either. Personally I'd do an oil+filter change before you leave and when you get back and not worry about it. 300 miles is a decent day on these bikes for the rider, but to the motorcycle it doesn't care.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Road Trippin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Road Trippin   Road Trippin Empty

Back to top Go down

Road Trippin
Page 1 of 1