Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Anyone install bleeder valves on their forks?

Go down 
+5
ramz
YZEtc
DougZ
SheWolf
trav72
9 posters
AuthorMessage
trav72

trav72

Anyone install bleeder valves on their forks? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone install bleeder valves on their forks?   Anyone install bleeder valves on their forks? EmptySun May 15, 2011 8:06 pm

If so, which ones did you buy and where? I just unscrewed the bleeder screw on each of my forks and a ton of air came out! So much so that once the screw was un-threaded, they popped up in the air a little. I'm thinking bleeder valves are definitely needed.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Anyone install bleeder valves on their forks?   Anyone install bleeder valves on their forks? EmptySun May 15, 2011 8:26 pm

I've got them and they work great!
Anyone install bleeder valves on their forks? IMG_1283
Don't remember what brand they were, but I got them at the Yammie dealer here. All you have to do is push the button and bai bai air. thumb

trav72

PostSubject: Re: Anyone install bleeder valves on their forks?   Anyone install bleeder valves on their forks? EmptySun May 15, 2011 8:45 pm

Yeah I need to get some as my forks had a ton of air in them. I'm just not sure which ones to get. Those stick up pretty high. Any issues with that?
Back to top Go down
DougZ

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: Anyone install bleeder valves on their forks?   Anyone install bleeder valves on their forks? EmptySun May 15, 2011 8:46 pm

You had bike on stand when you took them out, right Trav?? Front end of bike should be suspended when releasing the air.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Anyone install bleeder valves on their forks?   Anyone install bleeder valves on their forks? EmptySun May 15, 2011 8:53 pm

No issues whatsoever. thumb

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: Anyone install bleeder valves on their forks?   Anyone install bleeder valves on their forks? EmptySun May 15, 2011 8:53 pm

FYI:

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15915494&postcount=21841
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: Anyone install bleeder valves on their forks?   Anyone install bleeder valves on their forks? EmptySun May 15, 2011 8:54 pm

DougZ wrote:
You had bike on stand when you took them out, right Trav?? Front end of bike should be suspended when releasing the air.

Yes Doug, the bike was off the ground.

Edit: You wouldn't need to have it off the ground with the bleeder valves would you? If so, why exactly?
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Anyone install bleeder valves on their forks?   Anyone install bleeder valves on their forks? EmptySun May 15, 2011 9:04 pm

I don't have it up, hell no! I use it whenever I am stopped after some good riding. Push the button, air escapes, continue on.

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Anyone install bleeder valves on their forks?   Anyone install bleeder valves on their forks? EmptySun May 15, 2011 10:09 pm

trav72 wrote:
DougZ wrote:

Yes Doug, the bike was off the ground.

Edit: You wouldn't need to have it off the ground with the bleeder valves would you? If so, why exactly?

Starting off with zero PSI inside the fork while it's fully extended is the standard of the industry for dirt bikes and dual purpose bikes (sport bikes, too), and has been for decades.
It is normal for the forks to increase the air pressure inside of them with use and time, and even changing weather/atmospheric conditions.
The fork comes with bleed screws in order to periodically release this excess air pressure and to get your fork back to the intended zero PSI at full extension.

The air trapped at the top of the inside of your fork gets compressed as the fork compresses.
It acts as a spring.
This air spring effect is taken into account when the fork is designed, and definately taken into account if somebody were to revalve or setup the fork for you.

Depressing the bleeder valve with the fork partially compressed (as in when it's holding up the bike's weight) nets you a negative air pressure once the fork extends.
This will reduce the spring effect of the air inside the fork, making it softer than it would be if the excess air were bled off with it fully extended.

This is true whether you use the push-button bleeder valves or the stock screws to release the pressure.
Back to top Go down
DougZ

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: Anyone install bleeder valves on their forks?   Anyone install bleeder valves on their forks? EmptyMon May 16, 2011 12:48 pm

thumb Certainly better than I could have explained the why. Very happy
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: Anyone install bleeder valves on their forks?   Anyone install bleeder valves on their forks? EmptyMon May 16, 2011 12:52 pm

Yes that was certainly a good explanation.

But if that's the case, then I might as well just stick with the screws if it has to be on the stand to bleed it anyway.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Anyone install bleeder valves on their forks?   Anyone install bleeder valves on their forks? EmptyMon May 16, 2011 4:21 pm

I have bleeder valves installed on my WR-250F, and I can bleed them while on the trail by putting the side stand down, pulling up on the handlebar, and taking the weight off the front end.

Do this a few times, and it becomes easy. :)
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: Anyone install bleeder valves on their forks?   Anyone install bleeder valves on their forks? EmptyMon May 16, 2011 4:23 pm

Well I can see doing that to bleed them. OK, so back to my original question. What kind and where to buy?
Back to top Go down
ramz

PostSubject: Re: Anyone install bleeder valves on their forks?   Anyone install bleeder valves on their forks? EmptyMon May 16, 2011 6:32 pm

Check it out:

Fork bleeders <-- linky

Anyone install bleeder valves on their forks? WRR115
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

PostSubject: Re: Anyone install bleeder valves on their forks?   Anyone install bleeder valves on their forks? EmptyMon May 16, 2011 7:41 pm

I guess knowing how long it takes and what causes pressure buildup is what we need to know to decide what bleeders are needed.

If it's soething that needs to be done often every ride, then a quick bleeder is needed. If doing it once in a while, just unscrew the stock bleeders is enough.
Back to top Go down
millert85

PostSubject: Re: Anyone install bleeder valves on their forks?   Anyone install bleeder valves on their forks? EmptyMon May 16, 2011 11:01 pm

get what ever ones look the prettiest to you. they all do the same job, just some are tall, some are short. just watch the height if you've slid the legs thru. most will come with adapters to suit the different threads.
Back to top Go down
Striper19

Striper19

PostSubject: Re: Anyone install bleeder valves on their forks?   Anyone install bleeder valves on their forks? EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 4:29 pm

Personal experience with the MSR bleeders and MOTION PRO bleeders. Both are basically identical (propbably just in different packages). Both work fine and fit well - DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN!! They look like ones Shewolf posted up on her bike.

MUCH better IMO than the stock screws. I bleed after every ride. Lift up the bike or put it on the stand and press the bleeders. No problems at all!
Back to top Go down
BoredAzHell20

PostSubject: Re: Anyone install bleeder valves on their forks?   Anyone install bleeder valves on their forks? EmptyThu Aug 04, 2011 1:40 am

How often do you guys release the air pressure? Never done this to any of my bikes I owned. lol
Back to top Go down
millert85

PostSubject: Re: Anyone install bleeder valves on their forks?   Anyone install bleeder valves on their forks? EmptyThu Aug 04, 2011 2:48 am

the idea of the bleeder valves is so you can do it before every ride. it can make a massive difference to the feel of the forks.
Back to top Go down
Striper19

Striper19

PostSubject: Re: Anyone install bleeder valves on their forks?   Anyone install bleeder valves on their forks? EmptyThu Aug 04, 2011 2:04 pm

BoredAzHell20 wrote:
How often do you guys release the air pressure? Never done this to any of my bikes I owned. lol

Without bleeders.... Weekly

With bleeders.... Every Ride
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone install bleeder valves on their forks?   Anyone install bleeder valves on their forks? Empty

Back to top Go down

Anyone install bleeder valves on their forks?
Page 1 of 1