Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

long ride mods/tips

Go down 
+7
skierd
SheWolf
rydnseek
trav72
motokid
Dancamp
rickcj7
11 posters
AuthorMessage
rickcj7

long ride mods/tips Empty
PostSubject: long ride mods/tips   long ride mods/tips EmptyMon May 16, 2011 7:31 pm

After a couple hrs ride my rear starts to get sore, what is the best bang for the butt fix?
After market seat concepts $169
Airhawk cushion $100+
Alaska sheep skin $75
Extra paded bike shorts $45
or is something else better?

Last edited by rickcj7 on Mon May 16, 2011 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

PostSubject: Re: long ride mods/tips   long ride mods/tips EmptyMon May 16, 2011 7:37 pm

I have the seat concept and the padded shorts.

When the ride is fun, I never have a sore butt. I guess the butt is where the brain hurts. poser2 wings
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: long ride mods/tips   long ride mods/tips EmptyMon May 16, 2011 7:46 pm

Please try using the search feature......

click me please <--- click this for seat topics

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
rickcj7

PostSubject: Re: long ride mods/tips   long ride mods/tips EmptyMon May 16, 2011 7:48 pm

motokid wrote:
Please try using the search feature......

click me please <--- click this for seat topics

I did a search but I didn't find the info I wanted!
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: long ride mods/tips   long ride mods/tips EmptyMon May 16, 2011 7:57 pm

I have the seat concepts seat and I also wear mountain biking shorts under my riding pants. I can ride for well over a 100 straight street miles without my ass getting sore. But if I mix in some dirt action that mileage significantly drops. I'm leaving 2 weeks from today on a 2000+ mile trip. I'm hoping that a sore ass won't be a constant issue with my current setup.
Back to top Go down
rydnseek

rydnseek

PostSubject: Re: long ride mods/tips   long ride mods/tips EmptyMon May 16, 2011 8:15 pm

Definitely a seat mod for long rides.. diy, or buy an aftermarket one.

Here's my 'frankenseat' i concocted on a dark & stormy night. Once the lightning struck the charge rod, the seat came to life!

https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t2028-recliner-style-leather-seat

Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: long ride mods/tips   long ride mods/tips EmptyMon May 16, 2011 9:18 pm

Another vote for Seat Concepts! Awesome seat. thumb

PostSubject: Re: long ride mods/tips   long ride mods/tips EmptyMon May 16, 2011 11:51 pm

I tried padded bike shorts but they don't work for me. I'm partial to UnderArmor boxer brief's personally, great at wicking to prevent swamp ass and stay all-day comfortable.

I have an alaskan leather sheepskin pad, dual sport deluxe in dark natural, helps a TON on long rides. I'm good for 400+ mile days with it on the otherwise stock seat.

They best mod of course is "ride more". Your ass will get broken in and used the seat, and the seat will get broken in to your ass.

If I do decide to keep the bike beyond this summer, I'll probably either do a seat concepts seat or wait and see if Rick Mayer has a $.50/cc sale again.

Back to top Go down
10Cup

10Cup

PostSubject: Sweet Cheeks   long ride mods/tips EmptyTue May 17, 2011 11:08 am

rickcj7 wrote:
After a couple hrs ride my rear starts to get sore, what is the best bang for the butt fix?
After market seat concepts $169
Airhawk cushion $100+
Alaska sheep skin $75
Extra paded bike shorts $45
or is something else better?

I ride a lot of long trips with several 12 hour days in the saddle. I use the "Sweet Cheeks" and love them. I also carry spare fuel in Primos 1.5L bottles in them not the 2L bottles. At $39 you would be amazed at how much more
comfortable you are. I do use the Alaska Leater sheepskin on top of them but many riders don't.
long ride mods/tips Wideseatsm
Back to top Go down
rickcj7

PostSubject: Re: long ride mods/tips   long ride mods/tips EmptyTue May 17, 2011 12:38 pm

What I need to know if using an Airhawk or sheepskin over the stock seat will be OK or will it be better to get a Seat Concepts seat.
Some say the airhawk is way better than any aftermarket seat. I can use it on other seats.
Any one try this and prefer 1 over the other.
I"d like to spend the $$$ once and be done.
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: long ride mods/tips   long ride mods/tips EmptyTue May 17, 2011 1:18 pm

Me and my ass have been very happy with just the sheepskin pad on the stock seat. Your ass may not agree. Very happy Worst case is you end up with the seat concepts anyway and sell the sheepskin.
Back to top Go down
kbike

kbike

PostSubject: Re: long ride mods/tips   long ride mods/tips EmptyTue May 17, 2011 8:57 pm

rickcj7 wrote:
What I need to know if using an Airhawk or sheepskin over the stock seat will be OK or will it be better to get a Seat Concepts seat.
Some say the airhawk is way better than any aftermarket seat. I can use it on other seats.
Any one try this and prefer 1 over the other.
I"d like to spend the $$$ once and be done.

I have 3 Air Hawks, 2 of which are still functional. The nice thing about an Air Hawk is that you can use it on multiple bikes and not have to buy $300-$500 individual seats. I have since found a comparable seat cushion to the Air Hawk at Wal-Mart for $20. It's a gel, waffle type, in a nice cover, that works great. I took the gel out and cut it to size to fit in the old Air Hawk cover, which works well on smaller seats. With a rubber backing it doesn't slide around much. I sometimes use a small bungee to hold it on the seat so I don't knock it off when I get on and off.

long ride mods/tips SANY0035-M

long ride mods/tips SANY0036-M

long ride mods/tips SANY0039-M
Back to top Go down
rickcj7

PostSubject: Re: long ride mods/tips   long ride mods/tips EmptyFri May 20, 2011 1:35 am

I scored an Airhawk cushion on Ebay, I'll try it 1st since I can switch it between bikes and cars.
If that doesn't work a Seat Concepts is next.
Thanks for the help
Back to top Go down
Dave Bell

Dave Bell

PostSubject: Re: long ride mods/tips   long ride mods/tips EmptyMon May 23, 2011 2:02 pm

Here are the seats and aides that I have used

*Mayer seat-expensive but great on a touring bike. Don't know how well it would work on a DS. I've had one from each Mayer brother
*Sergent on the KLR-great, one of the best I've had. Has a big, soft, flat section behind the usual position, slide back 2-4" and get a whole new feel.
*Sergent on the BMW F800-just OK, totally different from KLR, the step up restricts movement
*Seat Concepts on WR-seems good so far (300 miles)
*Air Hawk-Expensive and just OK
*Alaska Leather Sheepskin-cheap and just OK
*Ground off BMW F800 seat, I modified it with a sander, helped a lot to remove the long hump in the middle.
Back to top Go down
rickcj7

PostSubject: Re: long ride mods/tips   long ride mods/tips EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 11:29 pm

I got an AirHawk and tried it on the stock seat a couple rides and my seat time doubled. but I
Still had the stock seat wedging up my arse. I then got a Seat Concepts seat, much wider sit area, it also doubled my seat time.
Now I can run 3-4 hrs on the Seat Concepts seat alone and another 3-4 hrs with the AirHawk on.
The rest of me is sore before my arse.
long ride mods/tips Dualsport002[img][/img]
Back to top Go down
josh

PostSubject: Re: long ride mods/tips   long ride mods/tips EmptySun Jul 03, 2011 2:07 am

Rick Mayers seat Alaska Leather Mad Cow...perfect wings

long ride mods/tips WP_000141
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: long ride mods/tips   long ride mods/tips Empty

Back to top Go down

long ride mods/tips
Page 1 of 1