Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

WR250X tire question

Go down 
+6
mordicai
mrgeoff
motokid
YZEtc
craigq
wingnut
10 posters
AuthorMessage
wingnut

wingnut

WR250X tire question Empty
PostSubject: WR250X tire question   WR250X tire question EmptySat May 21, 2011 11:28 pm

I have to get a new set of tires for my WR250X.Im thinking about trying a sport touring tire so they will last longer.A friend of mine has a 1000cc street bike with Pilot Road2 tires on it.He has put over 8,000 miles on those tires and they still have tread left.

Will a 150/70/17 rear tire fit without rubbing the chain or swing arm?

Last edited by wingnut on Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:01 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
craigq

craigq

PostSubject: Re: WR250X tire question   WR250X tire question EmptySun May 22, 2011 7:51 am

150/60 and 150/70 should fit fine. No guarantee on 160's. 150/70 on my bike had a bit of chain rub, really only at the beginning. They'll likely fit okay. Even though tires will say 150 they could be wider, so check the manufacturer's specifications; the 4" rear rim affects 150's differently, some have unusable portions at the outside edges due to the profile, some are fine (not all 150's are the same width). FWIW I'm going with the OEM sizing next time 'round...

WR250X Tires Thread
150/70 on my bike
Supermoto Junkie Thread
SMJ 160 Thread
Another SMJ Thread
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: WR250X tire question   WR250X tire question EmptySun May 22, 2011 8:43 am

150/70 has a taller profile (sidewall) than 150/60, so keep that in mind.
That means the rear will be jacked up a bit because the tire will be taller.

My personal feeling is that it's too easy to desire a tire that's ill-suited to the bike for either the reason you cited, or to simply have a big-'n-bad wider tire (cosmetics).

I use my WR-250X as a for-fun sportbike.
I mounted Michelin Pilot Powers in the stock front size of 110/70ZR17, and the rear size of 150/60ZR17, which is the narrowest Pilot Power made as far as I know.
Fitment wasn't a concern, and Michelin's own USA website lists these tires as recommended replacement on a WR-250X.
In fact, the rear felt a bit lower than before (or the front was a bit taller), so I slid the fork tubes up in the clamps a few millimeters to get the chassis balance back.

Results are pure magic, as the bike feels and handles like a dream, bump compliance (which also means better road-gripping traction) is excellent, and as far as I can tell after having them on the bike for a month, they will wear very well considering their excellent grip. :)
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: WR250X tire question   WR250X tire question EmptySun May 22, 2011 8:47 am

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
mrgeoff

PostSubject: Re: WR250X tire question   WR250X tire question EmptyMon May 23, 2011 4:13 am

The sticky thread is a bit of a chore to read thru, and get any useful answer, unless you are after the Avons. Im not supprised more questions are being asked (its hardly difficult to miss the sticky thread anyway... its at the top...)

Could the sticky thread be tidyed up, maybe a list of tyres that fit well on the first page?

PS, the BT009s arnt now listed as a UK tyre, so im going to be asking some questions in a few months too....
Back to top Go down
craigq

craigq

PostSubject: Re: WR250X tire question   WR250X tire question EmptyMon May 23, 2011 8:55 am

mrgeoff wrote:
PS, the BT009s arnt now listed as a UK tyre, so im going to be asking some questions in a few months too....

Yup, cleanup or reorganizing the first post to include concise/pertinent data would be great.

FWIW if you want a performance radial by Bridgestone their BT003RS in the OEM sizing will work as a direct replacement. Not sure how it will handle the rain, not much siping/tread pattern...
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: WR250X tire question   WR250X tire question EmptyMon May 23, 2011 10:07 am

craigq wrote:
mrgeoff wrote:

Yup, cleanup or reorganizing the first post to include concise/pertinent data would be great.

FWIW if you want a performance radial by Bridgestone their BT003RS in the OEM sizing will work as a direct replacement. Not sure how it will handle the rain, not much siping/tread pattern...

Having things more organized is always preferred, but I have to state that of any motorcycle forum that I use on the net, the WRR/X Forum is far and away the best organized and easiest to reference of them all. Kudos' to the moderators who put in the time and effort to make it so!
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: WR250X tire question   WR250X tire question EmptyMon May 23, 2011 10:15 am

Yes I think it's easy to navigate this site. But ADV is also really easy too.
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: WR250X tire question   WR250X tire question EmptyMon May 23, 2011 10:22 am

trav72 wrote:
Yes I think it's easy to navigate this site. But ADV is also really easy too.

The problem I have with ADV is everything is lumped together in the WR250r/x section. So one post is about tires and the next is about camping and if your looking for a reply to a question it could be 10 posts down the line and youd miss it.
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: WR250X tire question   WR250X tire question EmptyMon May 23, 2011 10:34 am

mordicai wrote:

The problem I have with ADV is everything is lumped together in the WR250r/x section. So one post is about tires and the next is about camping and if your looking for a reply to a question it could be 10 posts down the line and youd miss it.

Yeah if you're only talking about that one thread then I agree. Honestly, that thread is a giant clusterf*ck if you ask me. But the site as a whole is very easy to navigate. It's just much larger than this one so it may take a moment to find one particular thread.
Back to top Go down
spacecadet

PostSubject: Re: WR250X tire question   WR250X tire question EmptyMon May 23, 2011 11:25 am

I have pilot road II's on my cbr and i love them.

Great tread life, and will grip more than enough for hitting the canyons.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: WR250X tire question   WR250X tire question EmptyMon May 23, 2011 12:13 pm

Well, if someone wants to PM me a list of tires for the X, I'll gladly do that. thumb

wingnut

PostSubject: Re: WR250X tire question   WR250X tire question EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 9:58 pm

Has anyone mounted a 150/70/17 rear tire on a WR250X wheel,if so,what kind of tire was it?
Thats the size I want to use and im looking for someone that has that size tire on their bike now,or has used that size.
I just want to make sure it will fit before i buy one
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: WR250X tire question   WR250X tire question EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 6:31 am

wingnut wrote:
Has anyone mounted a 150/70/17 rear tire on a WR250X wheel,if so,what kind of tire was it?
Thats the size I want to use and im looking for someone that has that size tire on their bike now,or has used that size.

click me please <-- it's all in here dude thumb

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: WR250X tire question   WR250X tire question EmptyMon Jun 27, 2011 8:56 am

motokid wrote:
wingnut wrote:
click me please <-- it's all in here dude thumb
Yes. As I posted in that thread, Bridgestone BT023 150/70/17 rubs the chain a little bit.

Next tire I get will probably be a 150/60/17.

I don't need a wider tire, just a more rounded profile than the stock 140/70/17 BT090 was - that got to the edge of the tire with little leaning.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WR250X tire question   WR250X tire question Empty

Back to top Go down

WR250X tire question
Page 1 of 1