Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

chain

Go down 
+3
Walter Matthau
SheWolf
24SCVI
7 posters
AuthorMessage
24SCVI

chain Empty
PostSubject: chain   chain EmptySun May 22, 2011 12:16 am

So whats the deal with the chain tension? Im getting advice to run it tighter than the manual says, what the manual says, and looser than what the manual says. Im just paranoid about it eating through that chain slider and screwing up my swingarm. For now I will just keep checking the wear on it as much as possible. How many miles are yall getting out of the chain slider before switching it out? I dont see that Dennis Kirk sells the sliders. I guess I will have to get it from the dealer. Any thoughts on that?
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

chain Empty
PostSubject: Re: chain   chain EmptySun May 22, 2011 12:52 am

I've got over 12k on mine, no problems. I usually check my chain tension so there's like an inch gap showing when I pull up on the chain above the swingarm, right before the chain guard. thumb

chain Empty
PostSubject: Re: chain   chain EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 5:17 pm

Great timing, thanks!

Just threw on a 12 tooth countershaft sprocket, and when I read the Yamaha manual, I noticed they used the word slack, in a context that really meant clearance, and it made me wonder what else they were confused about.
Back to top Go down
Maitias

chain Empty
PostSubject: Re: chain   chain EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 3:31 pm

Thanks for the info SheWolf.

Just to clarify, this measurement is done when the bike is on the side stand, correct? Or when its on a Center stand and the wheel is off the ground?

I ask because my chain maybe a little tight...

After riding about 5mi (after tighting it) I started to notice some noise which sounds like its near the front sprocket. Sounds like the chain is vibrating and bouncing on something as I ride down the road. Sound stops as the bike stops. Speed doesn't see to affect it much. I also noticed the bottom of the chain links appear to be Polished up, like the are rubbing on something. The polishing is both on the bottom of the chain, and the bottom of the side plates about 1/16 to 1/8 of the higth of the chain.

Any other help would be awesome.
Back to top Go down
spacecadet

chain Empty
PostSubject: Re: chain   chain EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 3:54 pm

Maitias wrote:

Just to clarify, this measurement is done when the bike is on the side stand, correct? Or when its on a Center stand and the wheel is off the ground?

After riding about 5mi (after tighting it) I started to notice some noise which sounds like its near the front sprocket. Sounds like the chain is vibrating and bouncing on something as I ride down the road. Sound stops as the bike stops. Speed doesn't see to affect it much. I also noticed the bottom of the chain links appear to be Polished up, like the are rubbing on something. The polishing is both on the bottom of the chain, and the bottom of the side plates about 1/16 to 1/8 of the higth of the chain.

that noise is the chain ridding the chain guard on the swing arm and is ok, thats what its there for.
Back to top Go down
Maitias

chain Empty
PostSubject: Re: chain   chain EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 4:12 pm

Thanks for the info. I just seemed odd because I hadn't heard that sound before. But then again, there is only about 2k miles on the bike. Maybe its just breaking in?

Or is it possible, would there be this noise if I tightened the chain too tight?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

chain Empty
PostSubject: Re: chain   chain EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 4:36 pm

Click here please. <--right here

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Maitias

chain Empty
PostSubject: Re: chain   chain EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 4:44 pm

Thanks motokid, I've read the Chain Adjustment thread and i'm aware of the TSB. But unfortunately I don't have a way of telling what "36lbs" of force on the chain is. :)

Hence I was asking about SheWolf's method of checking the chain.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

chain Empty
PostSubject: Re: chain   chain EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 4:49 pm

Push up with finger in middle of chain towards swing arm.
If you touch swing arm with chain....too loose.
If you lift rear wheel off ground before chain moves....too tight.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Maitias

chain Empty
PostSubject: Re: chain   chain EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 4:54 pm

That helps some, but to be honest, I'm not sure what you mean by

"If you lift rear wheel off ground before chain moves....too tight."

and I know the chain doesn't touch the swing arm when pushing up in the middle. It's about 1/2" from the swing arm when I push up on the chain before having to apply what feels like too much force.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

chain Empty
PostSubject: Re: chain   chain EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 5:01 pm

Maitias wrote:
That helps some, but to be honest, I'm not sure what you mean by

"If you lift rear wheel off ground before chain moves....too tight."

and I know the chain doesn't touch the swing arm when pushing up in the middle. It's about 1/2" from the swing arm when I push up on the chain before having to apply what feels like too much force.

1/2 inch sounds right. Yamaha says 8-13mm.

Ride that sucker like you stole it.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Maitias

chain Empty
PostSubject: Re: chain   chain EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 5:51 pm

Thanks for your confidence. Hopefully it's nothing and the chain probably could use some lube too.

Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

chain Empty
PostSubject: Re: chain   chain EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 6:14 pm

Maitias wrote:

Side stand.

Since there is no center stand on the bike I'd guess they want a side stand measurement.

Have you checked your sprockets?

Removed the cover over the countershaft and inspected both front and rear sprocket?

I wouldn't think you should be hearing chain slap at all.

I also would not think a "too tight" chain would slap anything.
That's more of a too loose condition thing I'd think.

Go with the Yamaha recommended slack - using the tried and true finger test - and ride the thing.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
greer

chain Empty
PostSubject: Re: chain   chain EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 7:16 am

Maitias,

Do a quick check just to make sure things are OK. Take off the front sprocket cover and use a flashlight so you can get a good look at the chain slider and swingarm. In my case polished links meant I had deep grooves in the slider; it was completely gone on the bottom at the front and my chain had just begun to hit my swingarm. Post back and let us know how it goes.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
Maitias

chain Empty
PostSubject: Re: chain   chain EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 12:44 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Sarah.

Yesterday evening, I did remove the cover and checked everything out. While there was some wear, it was expected and not wore out.

Here is what I discovered... The chain was really dry. This winter, I rode often in Wet Weather, and now that the weather is drying out, most of my lube has worn off of the chain. So I re-lubed the chain with a Wax based lube. While moving the bike to do a test ride, I heard a "chirp / squeak" sound from the front tire. And the moving it, fell a little sluggish.

So, I figured I should check the air in the tires, the Rear time was about 28lbs, but the front tire... wait for it... 4lbs. Thats a little of a problem.

After inflating the front tire to specs, and lubing the chain, my ride this morning was un-eventful. No sounds from the bike. Hopefully these were my troubles. :)

I'm thinking there is a slow leak in the front tire, so I'll need to keep an eye on that and maybe replace the tube here soon.

Thanks everyone for the help.
Back to top Go down
greer

chain Empty
PostSubject: Re: chain   chain EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 1:11 pm

Glad all is OK. You might check to make sure the valve stem in that front tire is good and tight.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

chain Empty
PostSubject: Re: chain   chain Empty

Back to top Go down

chain
Page 1 of 1