Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Rear Shock Reservoir Can Cover Mod

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
motokid
motokid

Rear Shock Reservoir Can Cover Mod Empty
PostSubject: Rear Shock Reservoir Can Cover Mod   Rear Shock Reservoir Can Cover Mod EmptyMon May 30, 2011 8:36 am

So - for all you guys who've decorated your rear shock reservoir with the red bull cans and such....

How'd you manage to dissect that can, and not destroy it in the process?
Surely you didn't use a hack saw or tin snips right? Is a dremel the only way to go here?

Did you use some kind of silicone to adhere it to shock reservoir? Or will zip ties hold it securely?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Rear Shock Reservoir Can Cover Mod   Rear Shock Reservoir Can Cover Mod EmptyMon May 30, 2011 9:26 am

Kitchen shears, zip ties and a bead of clear silicone around the perimeter. The letter because like me, mud finds it's way into everything and I didn't want it to all of a sudden start looking like it's pregnant. eeek Zip ties will hold it there firmly enuf.

motokid

PostSubject: Re: Rear Shock Reservoir Can Cover Mod   Rear Shock Reservoir Can Cover Mod EmptyMon May 30, 2011 10:15 am

SheWolf wrote:
Kitchen shears, zip ties and a bead of clear silicone around the perimeter. The letter because like me, mud finds it's way into everything and I didn't want it to all of a sudden start looking like it's pregnant. eeek Zip ties will hold it there firmly enuf.

Kitchen shears???? Really? Getting a straight cut around the circumference seems like an impossible mission.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Rear Shock Reservoir Can Cover Mod   Rear Shock Reservoir Can Cover Mod EmptyMon May 30, 2011 10:21 am

Actually it wasn't hard at all. I started the cut above the part I wanted, because initially it will dent a little when you first pierce it. Then it's just a matter of cutting around the part you want. Cut past the point where you will start cutting down so you have a bit of space to turn the shears, rinse and repeat for the other 3 corners. thumb

motokid

PostSubject: Re: Rear Shock Reservoir Can Cover Mod   Rear Shock Reservoir Can Cover Mod EmptyMon May 30, 2011 10:57 am

Got it. But what I don't have is two black zip ties. baldy

BLAST!!!!

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
spacecadet

PostSubject: Re: Rear Shock Reservoir Can Cover Mod   Rear Shock Reservoir Can Cover Mod EmptyMon May 30, 2011 12:14 pm

if you really want straight lines you could just fill the can with water, freeze it, then use a hack saw or hell i bet even a chop saw for super straight lines would work.

if you dont want the zip tie look try some velcro.
Back to top Go down
toast

PostSubject: Re: Rear Shock Reservoir Can Cover Mod   Rear Shock Reservoir Can Cover Mod EmptyMon May 30, 2011 2:01 pm

Ditto, freeze it. As it expands it will wreck the top and bottom of the can but you aren't going to use that anyway. Run a circle of masking tape around it top and bottom and make the tape a perfect circle. Use a new razor blade and it will slice right through the can.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Rear Shock Reservoir Can Cover Mod   Rear Shock Reservoir Can Cover Mod EmptyMon May 30, 2011 2:15 pm

toast wrote:
Ditto, freeze it. As it expands it will wreck the top and bottom of the can but you aren't going to use that anyway. Run a circle of masking tape around it top and bottom and make the tape a perfect circle. Use a new razor blade and it will slice right through the can.

Brilliant. Too bad I already used tin snips and such.

Local hardware store is closed for holiday.
Will snag a few black zip ties at work tomorrow and be done with it.

pics to follow

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Rear Shock Reservoir Can Cover Mod   Rear Shock Reservoir Can Cover Mod EmptyMon May 30, 2011 3:21 pm

Test fit...

Rear Shock Reservoir Can Cover Mod Dscn2115

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Rear Shock Reservoir Can Cover Mod   Rear Shock Reservoir Can Cover Mod EmptyMon May 30, 2011 3:53 pm

Wow Ed...that looks really nice! thumb

PostSubject: Re: Rear Shock Reservoir Can Cover Mod   Rear Shock Reservoir Can Cover Mod EmptyMon May 30, 2011 4:09 pm

your chain looks sad :(

hehe jk looks good
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Rear Shock Reservoir Can Cover Mod   Rear Shock Reservoir Can Cover Mod EmptyMon May 30, 2011 4:16 pm

It's the yellowish-orange-brown dirt/mud from the canal runs I like to make.
Rear Shock Reservoir Can Cover Mod DSCN1956

On top of "Chain Wax".

I'm due for a good WD-40 chain cleaning for sure....but every time I think about doing it I know I'm heading back to the muddy crap for more fun.

As for the topic at hand.....I need a little trimming, and those elusive black zip-ties and I'll be happy... for now.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: Rear Shock Reservoir Can Cover Mod   Rear Shock Reservoir Can Cover Mod EmptyMon May 30, 2011 5:37 pm

I can't believe your running Distanzias in that crap.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Rear Shock Reservoir Can Cover Mod   Rear Shock Reservoir Can Cover Mod EmptyMon May 30, 2011 5:52 pm

The stock Bridgestones were no fun at all in that stuff.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear Shock Reservoir Can Cover Mod   Rear Shock Reservoir Can Cover Mod Empty

Back to top Go down

Rear Shock Reservoir Can Cover Mod
Page 1 of 1