Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!
 
HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum
Share | 
 

 has anybody rode the HUSKY 510smr or the KTM 690?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
addikted2boost




PostSubject: has anybody rode the HUSKY 510smr or the KTM 690?   Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:26 am

just wondering if anybody has ridin or rode next to somebody who had them. if anybody has what are they like compared to our bikes (wr250's). like reliaility and attitude of the bikes like comfortableness and fun factor and top speed and what gears can they wheelie in and other cool info scratch
Back to top Go down
craigq




PostSubject: Re: has anybody rode the HUSKY 510smr or the KTM 690?   Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:56 am

I haven't ridden either.

The Husky is basically a race bike with components added for the street; light chassis, very high servicing requirements (oil changes and valve inspections are measured in hours intervals, not the thousands of miles).

The KTM is a bike engineered for the street, reliability and longer service intervals. The 690's have problems with valvetrain wear, something with the rocker area (shafts or bushings, it's well documented on supermotojunkie and advrider). They also had some fueling issues. Not sure if either have been sorted yet...
Back to top Go down
motokid
Moderator



PostSubject: Re: has anybody rode the HUSKY 510smr or the KTM 690?   Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:01 am

I have not ridden them, but I've been on rides with guys that have them. Aprilia, Husky, and KTM's.

They'll eat and shit out our 250's like nobodies business.

Is that a surprise?







_________________
2008 WR250X
Gearing: 13t - 48t
Power Commander 5 / PC-V
Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
resqman911




PostSubject: Re: has anybody rode the HUSKY 510smr or the KTM 690?   Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:06 am

Yea you can't compare those bikes to our little 250, enjoy the WR for what it is cause the minute you start comparing it to race bred bikes you will be sadly disappointed.
Back to top Go down
Sproat Sport




PostSubject: Re: has anybody rode the HUSKY 510smr or the KTM 690?   Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:47 am

I've got a buddy's Husky 2010 TE 510 at my place at the moment. We've ridden together 4 or 5 times so far and we've swapped out on the trails and on the road.

The 510 has MONSTER power compared to the WR. However, it's tank is too small (8 litres) and the seat is hard as HELL. Upgrade those 2 things and get accustomed to the big vibrations of the bike and that's it. Good night little blue bike.

I still love my WR though. With the mods I've done (programmer, ais/exup remove, gytr exhaust, airbox mod) is has a perfect amount of usable power for off-roading. It's fun riding a smaller bike too....feels very manageable in hairy situations.
Back to top Go down
Monkeynuts




PostSubject: Re: has anybody rode the HUSKY 510smr or the KTM 690?   Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:34 pm

Iv got the KTM 690smc and my little WRR with a heart of a lion.
When I play on my KTM I have to open my head and remove my brain, such a mad bike
bike wheel is always reaching for the sky.
The WR is a totally different bike, brain back in with no less fun. You just nailing it every wear, I personally spend most of my time playing on the WR .
Back to top Go down
addikted2boost




PostSubject: Re: has anybody rode the HUSKY 510smr or the KTM 690?   Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:46 pm

motokid wrote:
I have not ridden them, but I've been on rides with guys that have them. Aprilia, Husky, and KTM's.

They'll eat and shit out our 250's like nobodies business.

Is that a surprise?







ttttttthats pretty cool but what makes the husky have such bad vibes scratch and how does the aprillia stack against the husky and ktm?
Back to top Go down
addikted2boost




PostSubject: Re: has anybody rode the HUSKY 510smr or the KTM 690?   Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:47 pm

Monkeynuts wrote:
Iv got the KTM 690smc and my little WRR with a heart of a lion.
When I play on my KTM I have to open my head and remove my brain, such a mad bike
bike wheel is always reaching for the sky.
The WR is a totally different bike, brain back in with no less fun. You just nailing it every wear, I personally spend most of my time playing on the WR .

does you ktm have to be serviced alot more than the wr? and what gears will it power wheelie in? also how fast have you gotten it?
Back to top Go down
Monkeynuts




PostSubject: Re: has anybody rode the HUSKY 510smr or the KTM 690?   Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:53 pm

The service interval is every 4.6k, she lifts very easy in first and second, and she will lift up if you hit a pebble in third.
It is not a speed machine about 110 mph and you don't want to go much faster on it as the front fender catches the air and gives a shake. this bike isn't made for top speed but for going round bends, accelerating to the next bend . fun fun fun wink
Back to top Go down
X-Racer




PostSubject: Re: has anybody rode the HUSKY 510smr or the KTM 690?   Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:26 pm

Having an open class KTM SMC (05 625) I'll throw my comparable perspective into the ring here....

- Augmenting Motokid's claim of consumption and deification and giving context; Where power is not a factor, a well prepared, equipped and ridden WRx will ride just as fast as an open class bike. Just as a 125cc bike can spank an open class bike under the right conditions on an MX track. .

- Wheelies and fun: My SMC is absolutely the funnest bike I have ever ridden. It has the best first three gears ever put on a M/C. ...and it (mine) will, with minimal effort, loft the front end in third (under somewhat particular circumstances - not going downhill for example).

- Comfort: Seems to be a common problem with a number of bikes. I like the body position on the WR. It works very well for me at 5"-9". Having said that, both the KTM and WR seats have been R/R'd with Corbins.

- Maintenance: You'd be hard-pressed to find a more user friendly bike. My KTM(s) get the oil routine every 2K miles. The WR doesn't get (have) that much time on it, but will be roughly 3K mile intervals.

Speed: Relative thing to distance to me. The SMC will get to 100 MPH (as fast as I have had it) in very short order, and agree with MonkeyNuts is scarey at that speed. ...but so is any MX configuration bike.

As Sproat pointed out, the 9L tanks (on some mounts) leaves me at mostly undesirable 60 mile intervals.

Having the option to ride either will, more often than not, usually leave me riding the WR(x) - ...but lowered with the 'wings' on it is close enough to a SuMo to me ! ...which reminds me, I need to continue shopping for "X" wheels !

Back to top Go down
motokid
Moderator



PostSubject: Re: has anybody rode the HUSKY 510smr or the KTM 690?   Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:36 pm

addikted2boost wrote:
Monkeynuts wrote:
Iv got the KTM 690smc and my little WRR with a heart of a lion.
When I play on my KTM I have to open my head and remove my brain, such a mad bike
bike wheel is always reaching for the sky.
The WR is a totally different bike, brain back in with no less fun. You just nailing it every wear, I personally spend most of my time playing on the WR .

does you ktm have to be serviced alot more than the wr? and what gears will it power wheelie in? also how fast have you gotten it?


Dude - why the F did you buy a 250x????

Why?

If you're interested in top speed, power wheelies, and horsepower what possible reason could you have had for buying a single cylinder 250cc Yamaha?????

Stop with the questions about KTM's and shit. Do a google search for supermotojunkie. Many of us are members there too.

You can get more information there on bikes that are NOT wr250's.

Bottom line is simple.


You're not going to get much more than 30 hp out of your 250 unless you do the turbo kit.
The turbo might not be very reliable.

Any other SUMO outside of the DRZ400 will require a SHITLOAD more maintenance.
With that you get more power.


The wr250 is what it is. A small, lightweight, relatively UNDERPOWERED, but modern motorcycle that requires very little maintenance.


If your main interest is POWER you bought the wrong bike.

Yes - we all strive for a few more ponies by opening exhaust, and intake, getting a efi controller, and cutting weight where and when we can, but 99.99999% of the people here also understand
there's a reason why the 250x/r is wonderful in it's own right, and why comparing them to KTM's, Husky's, and Aprilias is pretty much worthless conversation.


If you want one of those bikes go buy one.

If you want 45 horsepower you bought the wrong bike.
If you want power wheelies you bought the wrong bike. Use your clutch and change your gearing. Numerous guys stunt the shit out of a 250x.

If you want to go over 100mph you bought the wrong bike.

Go to supermotojunkie and you'll get more information than you can swallow about OTHER bikes.

Let's keep this forum about the wr250x and the wr250r please.


Back to my beer. You want one? freaky

_________________
2008 WR250X
Gearing: 13t - 48t
Power Commander 5 / PC-V
Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
trav72




PostSubject: Re: has anybody rode the HUSKY 510smr or the KTM 690?   Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:48 pm

^ Exactly.

Back to top Go down
X-Racer




PostSubject: Re: has anybody rode the HUSKY 510smr or the KTM 690?   Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:34 pm



* wondering what the next irrelevant response will be after more beer *
Back to top Go down
motokid
Moderator



PostSubject: Re: has anybody rode the HUSKY 510smr or the KTM 690?   Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:48 pm

X-Racer wrote:


* wondering what the next irrelevant response will be after more beer *

Probably a post about the irrelevance of the one quoted above.

_________________
2008 WR250X
Gearing: 13t - 48t
Power Commander 5 / PC-V
Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
motokid
Moderator



PostSubject: Re: has anybody rode the HUSKY 510smr or the KTM 690?   Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:53 pm

click me dammit <--click it - I dare you

Check out the video in the first post.

Guy is on a wr250x.

What the fuck else could you need from a SUMO?

_________________
2008 WR250X
Gearing: 13t - 48t
Power Commander 5 / PC-V
Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
mucker




PostSubject: Re: has anybody rode the HUSKY 510smr or the KTM 690?   Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:04 pm

a lil off topic...
While way out on a new trail...toughest one I've done. my buddy and I crossed 3 orange bikes...very nice. My buddy later, told me..."They seamed to know allot about our bikes...happy to see a couple".
I took that as a compliment. Thought I was the one staring...
Back to top Go down
addikted2boost




PostSubject: Re: has anybody rode the HUSKY 510smr or the KTM 690?   Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:37 pm

motokid wrote:
addikted2boost wrote:
Monkeynuts wrote:
Iv got the KTM 690smc and my little WRR with a heart of a lion.
When I play on my KTM I have to open my head and remove my brain, such a mad bike
bike wheel is always reaching for the sky.
The WR is a totally different bike, brain back in with no less fun. You just nailing it every wear, I personally spend most of my time playing on the WR .

does you ktm have to be serviced alot more than the wr? and what gears will it power wheelie in? also how fast have you gotten it?


Dude - why the F did you buy a 250x????

Why?

If you're interested in top speed, power wheelies, and horsepower what possible reason could you have had for buying a single cylinder 250cc Yamaha?????

Stop with the questions about KTM's and shit. Do a google search for supermotojunkie. Many of us are members there too.

You can get more information there on bikes that are NOT wr250's.

Bottom line is simple.


You're not going to get much more than 30 hp out of your 250 unless you do the turbo kit.
The turbo might not be very reliable.

Any other SUMO outside of the DRZ400 will require a SHITLOAD more maintenance.
With that you get more power.


The wr250 is what it is. A small, lightweight, relatively UNDERPOWERED, but modern motorcycle that requires very little maintenance.


If your main interest is POWER you bought the wrong bike.

Yes - we all strive for a few more ponies by opening exhaust, and intake, getting a efi controller, and cutting weight where and when we can, but 99.99999% of the people here also understand
there's a reason why the 250x/r is wonderful in it's own right, and why comparing them to KTM's, Husky's, and Aprilias is pretty much worthless conversation.


If you want one of those bikes go buy one.

If you want 45 horsepower you bought the wrong bike.
If you want power wheelies you bought the wrong bike. Use your clutch and change your gearing. Numerous guys stunt the shit out of a 250x.

If you want to go over 100mph you bought the wrong bike.

Go to supermotojunkie and you'll get more information than you can swallow about OTHER bikes.

Let's keep this forum about the wr250x and the wr250r please.


Back to my beer. You want one? freaky


whoooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaa there guy chill out i love my wr250x i dont want another bike. so take a chill pill beater i simply was wondering what those bikes are like compared to the wr bc when i get back from my deployment i was thinking about looking into one of those. i will still have my wr250 bc i love pretty much everything about it Peace YAM i live in alaska where nobody has sm's so i never see them or have anyway of checking them out. so sooorrry for the questions im not looking to replace my wr i love it to much just been thinking about a second bike and wasnt sure on how they were all around and ive been to sm junkie and thumpertalk already but they didnt ask my specific questions i read about the seat and tank problems about the husky but that was all the info i could really find. i was just trying to get some info on other bikes compared to ours bc i never see them sry bro didnt mean to get you so fired up tough

and if i wanted top speed id get a gsxr 750 i was simply just wondering how fast ppl have gotten those bikes too.

power isnt my main interest thats why i bought my wr250 after researching bikes for a year i just was trying to find out about these particular bikes and how there attitudes are.

i was just trying to figure out what bike with more power would be a fun bike so far the husky seems cool to me for a second bike but i knew ppl on here had the ktms so i was wondeing how they all stacked up together and compared to ours.

if i wanted a ktm id buy a ktm but i didnt want that for my 1st streetable bike i wanted the wr250x it suits me just perfect for my life style at this time. i didnt know asking for info was against the law! budah
Back to top Go down
addikted2boost




PostSubject: Re: has anybody rode the HUSKY 510smr or the KTM 690?   Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:40 pm

Monkeynuts wrote:
The service interval is every 4.6k, she lifts very easy in first and second, and she will lift up if you hit a pebble in third.
It is not a speed machine about 110 mph and you don't want to go much faster on it as the front fender catches the air and gives a shake. this bike isn't made for top speed but for going round bends, accelerating to the next bend . fun fun fun wink

thanks for this response this was more along the lines of what i was looking for appreciate it thumb
Back to top Go down
motokid
Moderator



PostSubject: Re: has anybody rode the HUSKY 510smr or the KTM 690?   Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:29 pm

Making friends and influencing people. It's what I do best.

I did answer your questions. Just added some more.

Some SUMO's from KTM, Husqvarna, and Aprilia require oil changes every 500 miles and valve adjustments every 1000 miles or so.

The only "comparison" you can make with other SUMO's is with the DRZ400SM - anything from the others you've asked about is redonculous.

I also have the right to respond to the posts/questions that you have a right make.

Have a great Sunday evening.

_________________
2008 WR250X
Gearing: 13t - 48t
Power Commander 5 / PC-V
Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
addikted2boost




PostSubject: Re: has anybody rode the HUSKY 510smr or the KTM 690?   Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:51 pm

motokid wrote:
Making friends and influencing people. It's what I do best.

I did answer your questions. Just added some more.

Some SUMO's from KTM, Husqvarna, and Aprilia require oil changes every 500 miles and valve adjustments every 1000 miles or so.

The only "comparison" you can make with other SUMO's is with the DRZ400SM - anything from the others you've asked about is redonculous.

I also have the right to respond to the posts/questions that you have a right make.

Have a great Sunday evening.

see you just told me more things i didnt know and i appreciate the info i didnt know they needed that much maintenance im not trying to get a bike that has that much maintenance a little more than the wr wouldnt bother me.

you have a good one also
Back to top Go down
 

has anybody rode the HUSKY 510smr or the KTM 690?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

 Similar topics

-
» has anybody rode the HUSKY 510smr or the KTM 690?
» rode deep water 6 26 10
» Husky Monument
» HUSKY WR 150
» Husky 610sm

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum ::  :: -