Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

WR250R Trailer???

Go down 
+16
Vortac
Mr.Metal
Chadx
Fargo_Wolf
v8r
bman
SpiritWolf15
Jäger
boogn1sh
BPG
longtallsally
MeefZah
asheville thumper
manganos
SheWolf
King Wolf
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
King Wolf

King Wolf

WR250R Trailer??? Empty
PostSubject: WR250R Trailer???   WR250R Trailer??? EmptySun May 10, 2009 10:17 pm

Ok here is my prob...I have a 1999 Toyota Camry that i just got done putting a hitch on this weekend. And now i need some ideas for some kind of bike mount(to hook up the front tire and pull...or a whole bike rack or something...) or but some kind of small trailer. And was wanting to do it the cheapest way possible. Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

WR250R Trailer??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WR250R Trailer???   WR250R Trailer??? EmptySun May 10, 2009 10:31 pm

I'm thinking you'd be better off with a small trailer than the ones mounted behind the vehicle. That might be a bit heavy for a Cam...

WR250R Trailer??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WR250R Trailer???   WR250R Trailer??? EmptySun May 10, 2009 10:52 pm

Yes what SheWolf said. You would probably bottom out the rear suspension and cause all types of damage. A small single bike trailer would probably work fine for you. Looks like a metal rail mounted on an axle. It should be able to be towed quite easy.
Back to top Go down
asheville thumper

asheville thumper

WR250R Trailer??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WR250R Trailer???   WR250R Trailer??? EmptyMon May 11, 2009 8:34 am

Look on craigslist for a used 5x8 trailer. You can usually find one for around $250-$300, but you have to be quick, they sell fast!! Then you can always sell it for what you paid for it later.
Back to top Go down
MeefZah

MeefZah

WR250R Trailer??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WR250R Trailer???   WR250R Trailer??? EmptyMon May 11, 2009 6:44 pm

What class hitch is that?

Methinks it is most likely a Class I (light duty, 1 1/4").

The single rail carrier that hangs from your hitch is out; those are Class III and up only.

Towing the bike behind the car with it's rear wheel on the ground is gonna eat up your tire, and unless you disconnect the chain from the sprocket it may well cause transmission wear on the bike.

The best and most useful option is a small trailer.

I recently went through this decision process myself, and settled on a lightweight 4X6 utility trailer made by Down2Earth Trailer (similar ones are made by Carry-On and sold at Lowes, TSC, Menards, etc.). I have a 2007 Honda Civic coupe with a manual tranny and 1.8 L engine, Class I hitch; so weight was a big factor for me. This trailer is about 320 pounds, after my mods it is about 300. Cost was $430 (I bought from a dealer / friend, retail is $600, Lowes sells similar ones for $400 or so).

I pulled the utility gate off the trailer, installed a wheel chock, and made a few other safety mods to it. I built a short portable ramp and a clip on bracket mount for the ramp... and of course added some dirt themed stickers to the whole ensemble.

I've used it many times with my KLX and once with the WR; it handles great, tows well (never even know it's back there) and I still get 29 mpg with it and the bike in tow.

The reason I suggest a utlity trailer versus a rail trailer is that you can use the trailer for other tasks - with a single rail MC trailer, you really can't pick up a couch, or pull a lawnmower, and so forth.

WR250R Trailer??? MR051109008

WR250R Trailer??? MR051109010

WR250R Trailer??? MR051109012
Back to top Go down
longtallsally

longtallsally

WR250R Trailer??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WR250R Trailer???   WR250R Trailer??? EmptyMon May 11, 2009 8:20 pm

You most likely have a Class 1 hitch. Your Camry is a unibody vehicle. In other words, I'm quite certain it can't handle the tongue weight of the bike and rack, ~350+ lbs. So that option is out.

I personally have a Harbor Freight folding dealio. We've put 3 bikes on it before and my buddy regularly tows it behind is Audi A4. They are dirt cheap and take up very little space in the garage when folded up.

Another option is the trailer in a bag. This will literally fit in the trunk of your car. I saw one in action over Easter weekend when someone's battery died and needed a tow. For the cost I was not particularly impressed.
Back to top Go down
BPG

BPG

WR250R Trailer??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WR250R Trailer???   WR250R Trailer??? EmptyMon May 11, 2009 9:44 pm

Harbor Freight sells several inexpensive trailers. While not up to construction/landscaping standards, they're perfect for hauling a bike, especially behind a car, because they're so light: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42709

Make sure you pick up a spare tire and that the hitch components match (for some reason there are 1 7/8", 2" and 2 1/2" balls and matching couplers).
Back to top Go down
boogn1sh

boogn1sh

WR250R Trailer??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WR250R Trailer???   WR250R Trailer??? EmptyTue May 12, 2009 1:34 am

Been pulling this big ass trailer for years with a 1.25 inch hitch. Been halfway across the country with more than one big bike and no problems.

WR250R Trailer??? DSCN2424

WR250R Trailer??? TiptonKTM01

WR250R Trailer??? MSR02

WR250R Trailer??? A10May09054

WR250R Trailer??? DSCN2012

WR250R Trailer??? DSCN2427

I think that last picture we might have been in Pete's rig, but you get the idea.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

WR250R Trailer??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WR250R Trailer???   WR250R Trailer??? EmptyFri May 15, 2009 1:03 am

King Wolf wrote:
Ok here is my prob...I have a 1999 Toyota Camry that i just got done putting a hitch on this weekend. And now i need some ideas for some kind of bike mount(to hook up the front tire and pull...or a whole bike rack or something...) or but some kind of small trailer. And was wanting to do it the cheapest way possible. Any ideas?

There's a nifty little trailer out there called "trailer in a bag" or something like that. Breaks down into nothing, not much to it when it is together, but ideal for trailering a bike with a small vehicle and then stowing under a workbench or something like that. Here ya go:
Trailer in a bag

Not cheap, but might be an option if you're really pressed for storage space.
Back to top Go down
SpiritWolf15

SpiritWolf15

WR250R Trailer??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WR250R Trailer???   WR250R Trailer??? EmptyFri May 15, 2009 2:07 am

Hi jacking the thread a bit...

About how many bikes can fit on a 4x8 flat deck?
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

WR250R Trailer??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WR250R Trailer???   WR250R Trailer??? EmptyFri May 15, 2009 8:16 am

I've had 4 of them on one. Two facing forward, two facing backwards, in between the other two. thumb

WR250R Trailer??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WR250R Trailer???   WR250R Trailer??? EmptySun May 17, 2009 9:15 pm

RedTrailers I have the 5x8 version.
Back to top Go down
King Wolf

King Wolf

WR250R Trailer??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WR250R Trailer???   WR250R Trailer??? EmptyFri May 29, 2009 12:46 am

Hey guys...sorry its been awail my laptop was haveing problems. But anyways thanks for all the info
And it turns out(after i put a hitch on my car(and wireing setup)) that the trailer my dad has i think its like a 6 by 9 weight around 600-800 pounds...is not that bad after we took all the side rails off and just have the flat bed. It does not put that much strain on the car/tranny(with my WR250R loaded on it) So i am just going to use it.
The plan is to head out this Monday and tackel a 14 hour drive with the WR and the trailer. So hope all goes as plan.

And also i was reading up on those fork supports(cause i know it is not good for the forks to be compressed for long periods of time) But since i dont have time to order a cheep one online and i have a hard time paying $20-$30 for a peace of plaste from one of the moto stores around here. I desided to make one out of 2 by 6. I just finished putting it all together tonight. I found out that some people say(on the thumpertalk forums) that you have to be careful with homemade fork supports because they will move out of place wail you are halling your bike. So just wondering if you any of you guys have any input on/about that? Or if you make/bought one?

It there anything else that i should do before the long road trip(keeping her staped down for 14 long hours? So i dont harm her in anyway(since i just bought her a few months back brand spanken NEW)
All that i can think of is the fork support and was thinging about getting some kind of tarp to rapp around it but i dont think it will last long going 70 MPH for 14 hours.
Back to top Go down
v8r

WR250R Trailer??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WR250R Trailer???   WR250R Trailer??? EmptyFri May 29, 2009 2:22 am

for a fork brace, an old 4 or 5 litre oil container on its side works at a pinch. ive seen many bikes towed all over the country-side with those in place.. not sure what sort of thing that equates to in the US tho

WR250R Trailer??? Group_HPR

Back to top Go down
Fargo_Wolf

Fargo_Wolf

WR250R Trailer??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WR250R Trailer???   WR250R Trailer??? EmptyFri May 29, 2009 8:38 am

I have a Snowbear utility trailer. Mine is one of the larger ones, but I have been happy with it. The deck tips on the model I have, so there's no need for ramps, loads of room for fuel cans and so on. The company makes trailers in several sizes, but they don't have much of a website.

Snowbear
Back to top Go down
MeefZah

MeefZah

WR250R Trailer??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WR250R Trailer???   WR250R Trailer??? EmptyFri May 29, 2009 12:22 pm

DO NOT COVER THE BIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You will beat the hell out of the paint with the flapping of the tarp! Leave it uncovered.

You can make a fork "brace" out of a piece of wood, as you suggest. A block a little bigger than a brick works well, drill a hole in it and run a long loop of rope through the hole, then just double the loop on itself around the fork leg to keep the block from getting lost. The block will secure itself as you compress the forks and the bottom of the fender applies pressure to the top of the tire through the block. Just ensure the block is centered and squared and it will be fine.
Back to top Go down
Chadx

WR250R Trailer??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WR250R Trailer???   WR250R Trailer??? EmptyFri May 29, 2009 1:12 pm

Agree with MeefZah. Definitely don't cover the bike.

I probably would not worry about a fork brace for only 14 hours. This bike is so light, you don't have to put much pressure to keep it upright. If you want to use your 2x6, use it, or some 2x4, to create a channel for the tires to sit in. Then you won't have to worry about the tires wanting to hop right or left when you hit bumps, hence even less need to cinch the front end down till the fork springs beg for mercy.
Back to top Go down
King Wolf

King Wolf

WR250R Trailer??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WR250R Trailer???   WR250R Trailer??? EmptySat May 30, 2009 12:48 am

Gotcha...I dont plan on covering it now(i did not even think about the tarp beating on it) Thanks for the heads up.
And i ended up making a brace out of 2x4 today. I will upload some pictures right now.
Back to top Go down
King Wolf

King Wolf

WR250R Trailer??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WR250R Trailer???   WR250R Trailer??? EmptySat May 30, 2009 1:02 am

Here is my Homemade Fork Support made out of some 2x4.
I even used a torch to give it a burnt/tan look.(And coated it is some clear enamel)
Took me about 3 hours to make...i sanded all the edges thats why it took so long.
(And had to wait for the clear enamel to dry before putting on the 2 and 3 coat)
Let me know what you think.

WR250R Trailer??? Img_0012

WR250R Trailer??? Img_0011

WR250R Trailer??? Img_0013

WR250R Trailer??? Img_0014

WR250R Trailer??? Img_0015

WR250R Trailer??? Img_0016

It looks pretty nice if i do say so myself...haha

This should do the trick as far as to support me forks for the the road trip this up coming week.

And you cant help but notice my wonderful WR250R with only 50 miles on it.
Back to top Go down
Chadx

WR250R Trailer??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WR250R Trailer???   WR250R Trailer??? EmptySat May 30, 2009 12:56 pm

Looks like it will stay put. Can't tell without seeing it in person, but would you maybe want to add some type of rubber pad or something between the cross piece and the fork to keep it from scuffing? There won't be any flat-out movement there, but might be some vibrations which could potentially cause an ugly little scuff over long term. Might be fine, though.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

WR250R Trailer??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WR250R Trailer???   WR250R Trailer??? EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 8:20 pm

So, I'm thinking of having a hitch installed on my Jetta. I believe the hitch I'm looking at has a tongue weight of about 160 lbs and a pulling weight of 3300 lbs (these are converted from KGs). The only thing is, it has a 2" ball... that's it.

I like the look and price of the "Red Trailers" that are linked above, but I don't think they can attach to a 2" ball. Is that the best option still? I'm not looking to spend a fortune, but would like something small that can carry the WRR... or POSSILY two dirt bikes. Anyone have any other links worth looking at?
Back to top Go down
Vortac

Vortac

WR250R Trailer??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WR250R Trailer???   WR250R Trailer??? EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 10:05 am

i too have a jetta and am thinking about going with something like this...

good place for hitches. http://www.hitchesonline.com/index.htm

trailer http://www.sportutilitytrailers.com/motorcycle-trailer.htm

WR250R Trailer??? 41234310
Back to top Go down
Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

WR250R Trailer??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WR250R Trailer???   WR250R Trailer??? EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 12:00 pm

Wow... that's pretty much exactly what I want! Thanks for the tip! WR250R Trailer??? 61865
Back to top Go down
Vortac

Vortac

WR250R Trailer??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WR250R Trailer???   WR250R Trailer??? EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 8:32 am

no problem, let me know how it works out for you, oh, and post pics WR250R Trailer??? 61865
Back to top Go down
jackielyn12

WR250R Trailer??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WR250R Trailer???   WR250R Trailer??? EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 2:44 am

I am also planning of installing hitches on my car, those pictures work for me! I also checked the lowest prices on trailer hitches, hitch covers, and other trailer hitch accessories. I think, I should start working on it!

Last edited by jackielyn12 on Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

WR250R Trailer??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WR250R Trailer???   WR250R Trailer??? Empty

Back to top Go down

WR250R Trailer???
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next