Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues???

Go down 
+16
FG250WRR
sswrx
duanew
swimmer
TwilightZone
sturgeon
jicanew
WRXer
BoredAzHell20
marbee40
Yaozer
YZEtc
920rider
trav72
SheWolf
DougZ
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
DougZ

DougZ

IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues??? Empty
PostSubject: IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues???   IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues??? EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 4:56 pm

I am potentially, at some point, going to get one of the 3.0 IMS gallon tanks.

The question is, are there quality issues with that tank, like all of the issues I am seeing/reading about these 4.3 gallon tanks??
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues???   IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues??? EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 10:06 pm

Nothing with mine! The only problem was the gasket for the fuel pump but that was rectified with a better gasket. thumb

trav72

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues???   IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues??? EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 10:13 pm

DougZ wrote:

The question is, are there quality issues with that tank, like all of the issues I am seeing/reading about these 4.3 gallon tanks??

The big tank is 4.75. I had a minor issue when installing but that was it. I've had no problem since and my tank was one of the first few shipped. I think the 3.1 tank fits terrible. Every install I've seen there are very noticeable gaps between tank and seat.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues???   IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues??? EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 9:06 am

I am very pleased with my IMS 3 gallon tank. Easy install, no leaks and it gave me the increased range that I was looking for. I chose to go with this tank in order to keep the stock plastics in place and it did not require any auxillary pumps or tubes. It is true that the tank leaves a gap at the seat which was a negative. However, I was planning to have my seat modified anyway and had the gap removed at the same time.

Before:
IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues??? Imgp1711
After:
IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues??? Imgp1811

Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues???   IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues??? EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 9:17 am

That looks good. Nice job! thumb

ddvorak wrote:

Back to top Go down
920rider

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues???   IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues??? EmptySun Jul 03, 2011 4:56 pm

HI
Looking for some help on removeing the stock tank, its loose and I have disconnected the elec plug my problem is disconnecting the fuel line with out damageing the little plastic L connector
Help anybody
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues???   IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues??? EmptySun Jul 03, 2011 5:51 pm

Pull the orange thingy (a sort of safety guard) down and out of the way.
It will expose a pair of green or blue (can't recall which) thingies - one on either side of the fuel line connector - that have to be squeezed as you slide the fuel line connector off.
Back to top Go down
920rider

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues???   IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues??? EmptySun Jul 03, 2011 6:36 pm

Thanks a lot guys
KH
Back to top Go down
Yaozer

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues???   IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues??? EmptySun Jul 10, 2011 8:16 am

Where did you cut to eliminate the gap?

ddvorak wrote:

After:

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues???   IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues??? EmptySun Jul 10, 2011 11:41 am

Yaozer, I had the seat reworked by Dave Fisher (Fisher Upholster) of Eagle, Idaho. He does custom seats and advertises for wide seats for our WR's.

He reworked the foam making the rear of my seat something like 5 inches wider than stock and slightly higher (I am 6' 4"). The front was also built up to take up the gap. He added black material to the stock material to make the cover fit the foam. You might be able to see from the picture that the blue panel on the back half of the seat used to be the side material and it is now the top surface of the seat. Also, the front of the blue panel used to mate up to the gas tank and now that is black.

Dave does excellent work. I have had 3 seats done and have been very happy with all of them.
http://www.fishersaddlebags.com/seats.html
Back to top Go down
marbee40

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues???   IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues??? EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 1:50 am

By chance does the low fuel light still work with the IMS 3.0?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
BoredAzHell20

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues???   IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues??? EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 2:20 am

yes it still works since it uses the stock fuel pump.
Back to top Go down
WRXer

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues???   IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues??? EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 9:41 pm

DougZ wrote:

I dislike the gap enough to not get one so it is an issue for me. The modified seat does make it look better.
Back to top Go down
jicanew

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues???   IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues??? EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 1:32 pm

ddvorak wrote:
I am very pleased with my IMS 3 gallon tank. Easy install, no leaks and it gave me the increased range that I was looking for. I chose to go with this tank in order to keep the stock plastics in place and it did not require any auxillary pumps or tubes. It is true that the tank leaves a gap at the seat which was a negative. However, I was planning to have my seat modified anyway and had the gap removed at the same time.

Hello, I have a confusion, there is a 3.0 gallon tank do not use plastic stock ? I live in Argentina and it is very difficult to get these products. Site amazon there is a blue tank but not using plastic stock

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-WR250R-IMS-gallon-Tank-Black/dp/B004VZWEIG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1319823075&sr=8-3
Back to top Go down
sturgeon

sturgeon

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues???   IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues??? EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 3:32 pm

jicanew wrote:

Hello, I have a confusion, there is a 3.0 gallon tank do not use plastic stock ? I live in Argentina and it is very difficult to get these products. Site amazon there is a blue tank but not using plastic stock

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-WR250R-IMS-gallon-Tank-Black/dp/B004VZWEIG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1319823075&sr=8-3

As the ad says, "Uses stock fuel pump, shrouds, and Seat". As far as I know, 'shrouds' are what I think you mean by 'stock plastic'.
Back to top Go down
TwilightZone

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues???   IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues??? EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 4:04 pm

>"there is a 3.0 gallon tank do not use plastic stock"

Do you mean 'made of plastic' for the fuel tank?
IMHO: No, the enlarged fuel tanks are made from plastic.
Back to top Go down
jicanew

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues???   IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues??? EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 4:31 pm

TwilightZone wrote:
>"there is a 3.0 gallon tank do not use plastic stock"

Do you mean 'made of plastic' for the fuel tank?
IMHO: No, the enlarged fuel tanks are made from plastic.

Sorry my English is terrible! Rolling Eyes
I meant if there is a fuel tank that does not use the stock "fins" as the Safari tank
Back to top Go down
swimmer

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues???   IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues??? EmptySat Dec 29, 2012 4:40 pm

Bumping this up just to see if anyone has had any issues with the IMS 3gal tank since this thread was last replied to.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues???   IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues??? EmptySat Dec 29, 2012 11:55 pm

Still happy with mine. No issues at all.
Back to top Go down
duanew

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues???   IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues??? EmptySun Dec 30, 2012 11:40 am

The only I have is that I have to be careful not to put the cap on too tight. It seems harder to take off than to put on. One time I stopped at a gas station and could not get gas because I could not get the cap off. Luckily I was near home and went there and tapped the cap with a rubber hammer and got it off.

Other than that, It has been perfect.
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues???   IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues??? EmptySun Dec 30, 2012 12:55 pm

No problems ever with my IMS 3.1 gal. tank. You might have to slot out the mounting brackets that you swap from the stock tank to get a better bolt hole alignment when installing it but otherwise it fits fine, no leaks, & looks good.
Back to top Go down
duanew

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues???   IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues??? EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 1:15 pm

duanew wrote:
The only I have is that I have to be careful not to put the cap on too tight. It seems harder to take off than to put on. One time I stopped at a gas station and could not get gas because I could not get the cap off. Luckily I was near home and went there and tapped the cap with a rubber hammer and got it off.

Other than that, It has been perfect.

Oops! Scratch that! I guess that my WR did not like me bringing a Husqvarna TE610 into the stable. I traded with another guy for one of my street bikes. A while after I poured some extra gas from a gas can and filled up the tank I noticed the WR dripping gas all over the floor. It was dripping enough gas to drip once every couple of seconds. I have not had a chance to dig into it yet, but some guys on the internet suggested some "Seal All" sealant to seal the gas tank. I am planning on taking it apart and putting the sealant on both sides of the o-ring. While I am at it I think I am going to lower the low fuel sensor too.

http://www.biosafe-inc.com/sealall.htm
Back to top Go down
FG250WRR

FG250WRR

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues???   IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues??? EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 8:27 am

DougZ wrote:

Hi dougZ, no problem with since 16 months with lot of enduro and falls :)
Back to top Go down
Otter

Otter

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues???   IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues??? EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 3:04 pm

@Swimmer

My IMS 3 gallon has been great so far. Installed pretty easy, (you may as well change the spark plug while you have the gas tank off). I have not experienced any leaks. Because I am a chicken, I don't fall much and stress the tank that way.
I put in on at the end of October 2012 and have almost 5,000 on the tank. No leaks, or other issues. Tested the reserve once, rode 52 miles after the fuel light came on till it sputtered to a stop.

Last edited by Otter on Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
crazy_dave

crazy_dave

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues???   IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues??? EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 7:57 am

My 3.0 has been great. With the stock tank my gaslight would come on at about 60 or so miles. Now Im hitting about 150 before it comes on.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues???   IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues??? Empty

Back to top Go down

IMS 3.0 gallon tank, issues???
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next