Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Drilling holes in Plastics

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
mordicai

Drilling holes in Plastics Empty
PostSubject: Drilling holes in Plastics   Drilling holes in Plastics EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 11:12 am

Hey kind a noob question but I need to drill some holes in my back plastic to mount a rack.5/8". I'm going to use a new speedbor bit, slow speed, gentle press. Anyone see a problem with that? Thanks, Max
Back to top Go down
joenuclear

joenuclear

PostSubject: Re: Drilling holes in Plastics   Drilling holes in Plastics EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 12:12 pm

mordicai wrote:
Hey kind a noob question but I need to drill some holes in my back plastic to mount a rack.5/8". I'm going to use a new speedbor bit, slow speed, gentle press. Anyone see a problem with that? Thanks, Max

Measure twice, drill once.... perfect!
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Drilling holes in Plastics   Drilling holes in Plastics EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 12:29 pm

I used a dremel. No problems. Very happy

PostSubject: Re: Drilling holes in Plastics   Drilling holes in Plastics EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 7:24 pm

Well I can't imagine ever installing a K&N filter but if I do I'll keep it in mind. Right now I'm concentrating on installing my Automotive Machine rear rack.
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

PostSubject: Re: Drilling holes in Plastics   Drilling holes in Plastics EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 8:40 pm

Some of the best holes I ever made in plastic are with a step drill, nice fresh and sharp is the key and you can gently bevel the hole with the next size
Just don't get the plastic or the bit hot
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: Drilling holes in Plastics   Drilling holes in Plastics EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 8:45 pm

0007onWR wrote:
Some of the best holes I ever made in plastic are with a step drill, nice fresh and sharp is the key and you can gently bevel the hole with the next size
Just don't get the plastic or the bit hot

Thanks 0007. I"ve done a lot of machine work but never worked with thin hard plastic. I'll pick up a step drill and give it a try.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Drilling holes in Plastics   Drilling holes in Plastics EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 8:47 pm

mordicai wrote:
Well I can't imagine ever installing a K&N filter but if I do I'll keep it in mind.
poser2 Where did the K&N come into this?

PostSubject: Re: Drilling holes in Plastics   Drilling holes in Plastics EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 8:59 pm

Hell if I know, but I'm off to get a step drill. Never used one before. Love it when I learn something new. Must be handy for drilling countersunk screw holes.
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Drilling holes in Plastics   Drilling holes in Plastics EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 11:20 pm

I just use a regular spade bit, 5/8", with a hand held drill. Made sure the pointy bit was centered, pulled the trigger, made holes. Went through the plastic like butter and left a nice relatively clean hole. Or at least clean enough to have a rack mounted over it.
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: Drilling holes in Plastics   Drilling holes in Plastics EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 11:27 pm

Ya I've got a 5/8" Spade skierd, but I what to try a step drill since I've never used one. Love buying new tools!
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Drilling holes in Plastics   Drilling holes in Plastics EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 11:49 pm

It's why I avoid Harbor Frieght unless I really need something. thumb Should be fine.
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: Drilling holes in Plastics   Drilling holes in Plastics EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 11:52 pm

skierd wrote:
It's why I avoid Harbor Frieght unless I really need something. thumb Should be fine.

Step Drill: Sears 28.00
Harbor Freight 11.00

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Drilling holes in Plastics   Drilling holes in Plastics Empty

Back to top Go down

Drilling holes in Plastics
Page 1 of 1