Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

The Flyers Did WHAT???

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
motokid
motokid

The Flyers Did WHAT??? Empty
PostSubject: The Flyers Did WHAT???   The Flyers Did WHAT??? EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 7:09 am

Traded Mike Richards and Jeff Carter????????? baldy baldy baldy baldy

Signed a 31 year old goalie to a 9 year contract worth 51 million dollars?

Anybody watch the Phoenix Coyotes??? Any thoughts on Bryzgalov?

How often does the team captain get traded?????

Wow...ballsy move I must say. Could very easily backfire.

Can't say Philadelphia is relying on the same guys to provide different results that's for sure.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: The Flyers Did WHAT???   The Flyers Did WHAT??? EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 8:47 am

The Carter trade was not shocking in the least. He's been a constant playoff under performer for years and has long been rumored to be on the market. Good riddance.

Now the Richards trade is very interesting. To me, it says that there were truth to the rumors at the end of the season that there were issues with his leadership as well as his relationship with the coach and other players in the locker room. Of course that's pure speculation on my part and we may never know the true answer. I was probably one of the few that was a big Richards fan as he is a great 2 way gritty player. Not quite to the level of a Pavel Datsyuk, but close.

Bryzgalov is a legitimate number one goal tender. Something the Flyers have lacked since the days of Hextall and we've seen how far that has got them. I think it's a great signing! His contract is front loaded so the years don'tt really matter. In a way, it's like Pronger's contract. But at the end of the day, who cares! I want a good goalie! Not the goalie carousal that has plagued this team for the last few years. He played well enough in Phoenix to be a Vezina candidate last year. I think he'll be better in Philly with better players in front of him. We'll see.

As for what we got in return. Well the verdict is still out. Brayden Schenn is highly touted prospect by most of the GM's in the NHL. He could become a real star for the Flyers. His brother, Luke Schenn, plays in Toronto and had a pretty good year. Whether that he has more or less talent than his brother remains to be seen.

Jakub Voracek is a pretty good player that I think will only get better. Especially with some real talent around him. But again, that also remains to be seen.

Wayne Simmonds is middle of the road player that could also be a lot better. Maybe with some more talent around him he'll be more productive. He's tough and gritty. He'll fit in nicely.

Then there are the draft pics. Who knows what will happen with those. Hell, that might be used as trade bait for another player. I don't think Homer's done yet.

Is this all a risk? Yes, without a doubt. But the status quo wasn't working so big props to Holmgren for having the balls to make some moves. Hopefully, it will work out for us.

Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: The Flyers Did WHAT???   The Flyers Did WHAT??? EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 11:42 am

Carter and Richards combined for about 60+ goals throughout the season.

While I agree Carter was not a standout player in the playoffs, he sure helped get them there.

As one who was in Elementary School the last time the Flyers won the Stanley Cup I'm well aware of the goalie issues the team has had. Every year or so they are bringing in the "great white hope" for between the pipes. As of yet they've not gotten it right.

While I hope somebody has figured it out with this new guy - I'll continue to be hugely skeptical.

I had not heard anything regarding Richards and management fights or anything. Richards was a grinder and a guy who seemed to exemplify exactly what Philly wants in their Captain.

I get that big changes require big changes, and I hope beyond hope that this time they've done the right thing.

History tells me that skeptical is how I should think. Hopeful - but skeptical.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: The Flyers Did WHAT???   The Flyers Did WHAT??? EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 12:09 pm

I hate Carter's game. He gets most of his points in the first 1/2 of the seasons. After the All Star break when the intensity of play picks up, he comes up small. I'm not sorry to see him go at all. I've wanted them to trade him for 2 years.

There were reports Richards and Lavi were at odds. As well as with Pronger. Something to that affect anyway. Like I said, we'll never really know the true answer as we aren't in the locker room. But for them to trade their Captain, something was definitely wrong.

Bryzgalov is a good goalie. He played well in PHX on a sub par team. Hell, he had 7 shutouts last season. How many did all the goalies for the Flyers have last season? Yeah, none. Hopefully that all translates well in Philly where he'll be playing behind a better team but facing much more pressure. We'll see.

Back to top Go down
Scharcon

PostSubject: Re: The Flyers Did WHAT???   The Flyers Did WHAT??? EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 3:16 pm

As a Kings fan i have seen a lot of Bryz with both the Ducks and Pheonix. The Flyers have nothing to worry about there.

It helps the Kings a lot having Bryz go out of the both Conference and the Division. He is that good!

The Kings GM is all about having character guys. Richards is all of that and more. Add to that he is locked up for 9 more years.

From what i can tell Kings were contacted by Phily about a possible trade so there had to be issues with Richards and Managment. From the Flyers stand point the trades and signings are probably a wash with less offense and more defense. Add to that a better locker room relationship with management depending on the new captain. FYI (Pronger didn't do so well as the Ducks interem Captain. The whole team took his tough guy attitude and took to many penalties).

Wayne Simmonds is a good player and character guy. He had a great rookie year and then backed off a bit last year. The Kings are in nogatiations with Doughty at the moment and Simmonds is his roomate. They may be trying to shake things up a bit there as well.

Kyle Clifford of the Kings had and great rookie year at 19 yrs old and plays like Simmonds and had 3 or 4 goals in the six playoff games. I thinks it made Simmonds more expendable.

Schenn is talented but has to work on his defencive game and is a little small but should do well.

For the Kings i think part of the trade is about timing. Move towards a lagitatmate contender sooner than later.

People are also thinking this may help attract the top free agent of this summer Brad Richards to LA.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: The Flyers Did WHAT???   The Flyers Did WHAT??? EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 3:36 pm

Thanks for the perspective Scharcon.

I hope that comes very true for Philly.

We've been a revolving door for at least a dozen different goalies over the last decade alone.

If we could find our Brodeur it'd be such a blessing.

Such drastic changes to the Flyers team will surely foster some interest for the next season.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Scharcon

PostSubject: Re: The Flyers Did WHAT???   The Flyers Did WHAT??? EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 4:21 pm

Quote :
We've been a revolving door for at least a dozen different goalies over the last decade alone.

Before Quick we had a dozen in the previous two years. Now we have two in Quick and Bernier. Bernier can be a #1 as well. Some think he may be traded to upgrade the team now.

We still have some depth in goalie in our farm teams as well.

Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: The Flyers Did WHAT???   The Flyers Did WHAT??? EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 6:26 pm

The Flyers tried to get Bernier last year and this past season. He might have been a much cheaper option. But I'm completely happy with Bryz.

Like I and Sharcon said, there had to be something going on behind the scenes for them to trade Richards. It also makes sense that he went to LA as half the office there has some sort of connection with the Flyers. I'm sure Richie will love the night life in LA. Rolling Eyes

As for Carter, he gets sent to the wasteland that is Columbus.....for 10 years. I can't imagine he is one bit happy right now. poser2
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: The Flyers Did WHAT???   The Flyers Did WHAT??? EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 4:25 pm

Quote :
PHILADELPHIA — Free-agent forward Jaromir Jagr today surprised many around the league, signing a one-year contract with the Flyers.

Jagr, 39, the former NHL MVP who has spent the past three seasons playing in Russia, this week mulled over a one-year offer to rejoin the Penguins, his original team, before ultimately deciding to play on the other end of Pennsylvania.

Wow....more surprises.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: The Flyers Did WHAT???   The Flyers Did WHAT??? EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 6:32 pm

Now they're just getting ridiculous. Jagr, Talbot, Andreas Lilja. Gone, Versteeg (good riddance), Leino (over valued), Powe to name a few.

I wonder if Homer is getting paid by the transaction
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: The Flyers Did WHAT???   The Flyers Did WHAT??? EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 6:49 pm

It's going to be fun to watch how the next season pans out.

I hope.

They'll either fail miserably - or go all the way.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: The Flyers Did WHAT???   The Flyers Did WHAT??? EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 7:32 pm

I sure hope they're fun to watch. I'm most interested in seeing how Schenn and Couturier do. I don't know if either will make the team but if they do, it would be pretty exciting to see some young kids playing alongside Giroux, JVR and Jagr.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Flyers Did WHAT???   The Flyers Did WHAT??? Empty

Back to top Go down

The Flyers Did WHAT???
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum :: General :: Off Topic-
Jump to: