Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Abandoned railroads

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Goggles Pisano

Goggles Pisano

Abandoned railroads Empty
PostSubject: Abandoned railroads   Abandoned railroads EmptyWed May 13, 2009 3:51 pm

So who else uses their WR to explore abandoned railroads? I know a few of you do, and if you have any photos feel free to post them here.

Some of mine in no particular order:

Abandoned railroads WLE_NewLondon
Wheeling & Lake Erie, New London, Ohio.

Abandoned railroads WLE_Greenwich
Wheeling & Lake Erie, Greenwich, Ohio. After the mud hole I discovered I had missed a detour trail that went around this mess.

Abandoned railroads LSE_PlumBrook
Lake Shore Electric Railway, Sandusky, Ohio. The interurban trolley line along Hull Road has been preserved all these years as a golf cart path by the Plum Brook Country Club.

Abandoned railroads LSE_Vermilion
Lake Shore Electric Railway, Vermilion, Ohio. This was the approximate spot of stop 126 - 35.5 miles from downtown Cleveland.

Abandoned railroads LSE_Ceylon
Lake Shore Electric Railway, Ceylon, Ohio. This is the north abutment of a bridge that carried the LSE's Ceylon Jct.-Norwalk-Fremont "southern division" over the New York Central main line at Ceylon.

Abandoned railroads Erie_Burbank
Erie Railroad, Burbank, Ohio.

Abandoned railroads Erie_Rittman
Erie Railroad, Rittman, Ohio. The milepost marks the distance from Salamanca, New York.

Abandoned railroads Erie_Sterling
Erie Railroad, Sterling, Ohio. One of the challenges of riding the "Weary Erie" is all the water crossings since most of the bridges have been scrapped. In this case it is possible to use the parallel CSX ex-B&O bridge - as long as no trains are using the eastbound track at the time of course.

Abandoned railroads Erie_WSalem
Erie Railroad, West Salem, Ohio. Another one of the challenges of riding the Erie. baldy

Abandoned railroads ABB_Wadsworth
Akron & Barberton Belt Line, Wadsworth, Ohio.

Abandoned railroads LEP_SagHills
Lake Erie & Pittsburgh, Sagamore Hills, Ohio. Shortly after I took this photo a wierd guy wandering through the woods started telling me wild (and obviously bullshit) stories of the horrible, evil things the cops would do to me if they caught me back there on a dirt bike. I think he was just trying to scare me off to protect his pot crop... wink
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: Abandoned railroads   Abandoned railroads EmptyWed May 13, 2009 10:55 pm

I love old rail beds. thumb

I've been to Ohio and driven much of it a few times on business, but haven't ridden there at all. Parts of it look neat.

Not many around here though. I know of one that's very short but I'll try to get a picture of it.

I plan on trying a few in the Kootenay's this summer.

I also happened to notice a long abandoned line in Washington last summer that kept meandering across my path as I headed South. Anyone tried those?

P.S. Great name and avatar goggles. thumb
Back to top Go down
warriordad

PostSubject: railroads   Abandoned railroads EmptySun May 17, 2009 11:21 am

i don't live there anymore but i used to ride alot of tracks in north new jersey around stanhope. theres a grade there that will take you up into penn. across the delaware water gap, also through some really cool tunnels. some of the best riding ever seen. they even had a qualifier enduro there when i was racing the ecea curcit.
if ever close try it and you'll have a great ride. wish i could go there and visit again !
Back to top Go down
MeefZah

MeefZah

PostSubject: Re: Abandoned railroads   Abandoned railroads EmptyThu May 21, 2009 9:32 pm

Very nice!

I was just in Crestline, Ohio; earlier today to explore the old roundhouse. You know where / what that is? Sadly, it has been torn down, all that remains is a shell where a few of the double wooden doors hung, and a pond where the rotating track was removed and the void filled with water.

I dig old railroad tracks, stations, bridge, tunnels, and other infrastructure. It's a huge part of our history that is slowly fading away.

If you ever make it a bit further south of you, check out Glenmont. There are some cool abandoned rail lines near there, replete with old bridges and tunnels and rock cuts. You can (illegally) ride a big chunk of the line that they are slowly turning into a rails to trails bike path.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Abandoned railroads   Abandoned railroads Empty

Back to top Go down

Abandoned railroads
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum :: General :: WRR/X Pictures-
Jump to: