Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

bike died...Fuel Pump

Go down 
+5
f3joel
SheWolf
greer
ruud
smitty!!!
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
smitty!!!

bike died...Fuel Pump Empty
PostSubject: bike died...Fuel Pump   bike died...Fuel Pump EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 1:44 am

Hi all, long time listener, first time caller.

I just got my bike yesterday as a demo with 300 miles. It came with Easton EXP Handlebar System, a Yoshimura pipe and a K&N air filter. The EXUP system was disconnected but still in place so I removed it along with the AIS and plugged the two holes, no other mods.

So I start the bike and it throws the check engine light. I reconnect the EXUP and then cycle the switch and install a resistor. Turn on the bike and check engine light comes back on. So I say screw it and go for a ride. Once warmed up it ran very well. At about ten miles my throttle starts to cut out, bog, down shift, bog, down shift, bog and then she died. I tried to start it but get an electric sound etetetetetetetet crap try it again, etetetetetetetet. No go. Luckly I met some great people that gave me a lift home. Thank you Lynda and Ken! I grab my truck and get back to my bike and it starts up! I load it up and head home.

So I'm thinking that if I connect the EXUP servo back it should be okay or is it something else?

-smitty

Last edited by smitty!!! on Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Edit to change title to include fuel pump)
Back to top Go down
ruud

ruud

PostSubject: Re: bike died...Fuel Pump   bike died...Fuel Pump EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 2:23 am

Hi Smitty

i'm not a expert on this stuff, but i dont think its
the exup. if you remove everything, it throws you a error code, but i think thats all.

Reading that you have a aftermarket exhaust, and a k&n airfilter, you probably want
something like a power commander or attitude industries fi controller to enrich your air fuel mix a bit.
Else i think it wil run to lean.

Dont know if this wil cause the problems you experience.

Back to top Go down
smitty!!!

PostSubject: Re: bike died...Fuel Pump   bike died...Fuel Pump EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 2:43 am

Thank you for your reply.

Yes I want to get a power commander or the like. The place that I got the bike from is 71 miles away and I rode home with no problems so I think it has to do with me fooling around with it. Then when I tried to start up the bike it made a clicking sound. The bike sat for 30 minutes then started right up. The AIS, I don't think, would not have any thing to do with the bike making a weird sound when trying to start it but since the EXUP has an added resistor jumper I think that is the problem.

Has anyone else have this happen to them?

-smitty
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: bike died...Fuel Pump   bike died...Fuel Pump EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 6:32 am

Is the battery in good shape? Make sure the battery cables/bolts are clean and tight.

And welcome to the forum!

Sarah
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: bike died...Fuel Pump   bike died...Fuel Pump EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 10:07 am

Hey Smitty! I would make good and sure that battery has a good charge on it, most definitely. That clicking would indicate (to me) the relay. As for the resistor, what one did you use? Once you clear the code with the exup, the resistor goes back in then cycle the key; it shouldn't throw a code unless you've got the resistor plugged into the wrong holes in the plug. The bogging also wouldn't be from the code; that merely just tells you that the computer isn't picking up the exup cycle that it goes thru when you key the ignition. What year bike is it?

PostSubject: Re: bike died...Fuel Pump   bike died...Fuel Pump EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 12:45 pm

The bike is a 2008.
The Resistor was a 1/4w 10 ohm, black/red to white/red.
The battery is not a Yuasa, it is Bike Master, so I think that it is newer and still in good shape. Got the charger on to see if it needs any.
The electrical sound was one that I'm not familiar with. Not really a wog wog wog of a low battery, or the clicking of a dead battery. Maybe more of a clicking and a crackling sound. No smoke or smell though. About 30 min. later it started right back up and I probably could have rode home.
I'm connecting the EXUP back and going for a ride to see if it happens again.

Back to top Go down
smitty!!!

PostSubject: Re: bike died...Fuel Pump   bike died...Fuel Pump EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 1:28 pm

Okay, EXUP is plugged in and I let the bike warm up and the check engine light comes on, cycle the key and get the same sound as last night. It is coming from the starter relay assembly. Let it cool down and it starts fine then the check engine light comes on turn off then try again and it won't start. What I don't understand is why it cut out when going down the road and left me stranded. Do you think that there is something else going on?

-smitty
Back to top Go down
f3joel

f3joel

PostSubject: Re: bike died...Fuel Pump   bike died...Fuel Pump EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 2:27 pm

While trying to start mine when my fuel pump was bad I would hear clicking sounds from one of the relays behind the battery.
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

PostSubject: Re: bike died...Fuel Pump   bike died...Fuel Pump EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 2:48 pm

smitty!!! wrote:
The bike is a 2008.

Fuel pump.
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

PostSubject: Re: bike died...Fuel Pump   bike died...Fuel Pump EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 2:53 pm

There's a whole fuel tank assembly including the pump on eBay for less than the cost of a new fuel pump. It's another 2008 though, so buyer beware...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-08-WR250R-WR250X-Gas-Tank-Fuel-Pump-Cap-Key-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3cb9785b1eQQitemZ260809710366QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
Back to top Go down
smitty!!!

PostSubject: Re: bike died...Fuel Pump   bike died...Fuel Pump EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 3:49 pm

Not the fuel pump.

I just got back from a shop and he said it sounds like a problem with the charging system. I was able to replicate the problem at the shop. The place where I bought it from is driving down to pick up the bike and fix it and drop it off, nice guys. I will find out in the next few days what it is and post the results.

The bike was running off the battery. So when the battery was drained then it died. After a while the battery recovered and I could start the bike. I will find out in the next few days what the problem is and post the results.

-smitty
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

PostSubject: Re: bike died...Fuel Pump   bike died...Fuel Pump EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 5:00 pm

Guys listen to the girls, they nailed it right off the bat
The answer to every question is NOT the fuel pump
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

PostSubject: Re: bike died...Fuel Pump   bike died...Fuel Pump EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 5:08 pm

0007onWR wrote:

It's not??? bike died...Fuel Pump 342500

Sounds like the dealer is a stand-up operation. Glad they're taking care of it.
Back to top Go down
f3joel

f3joel

PostSubject: Re: bike died...Fuel Pump   bike died...Fuel Pump EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 5:30 pm

0007onWR wrote:

The problem is yet to be determined...
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

PostSubject: Re: bike died...Fuel Pump   bike died...Fuel Pump EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 9:43 pm

Well, a bad fuel pump cannot make your starter relay rattle
Stator or reg rect maybe bad battery ?,
Back to top Go down
f3joel

f3joel

PostSubject: Re: bike died...Fuel Pump   bike died...Fuel Pump EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 10:25 pm

0007onWR wrote:
Well, a bad fuel pump cannot make your starter relay rattle
Stator or reg rect maybe bad battery ?,
have you had a bad fuel pump?
I have, and I had the same symptoms....
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

PostSubject: Re: bike died...Fuel Pump   bike died...Fuel Pump EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 2:57 am

I hate to argue on the Internet but
If you are telling me your fuel pump failure made your starter relay make noise then I can explain it
Your bike won't start
You crank the bike til the battery dies
Then your relay rattles

The reason a relay rattles is there is not sufficient voltage for the electromagnet to keep the bar against the contacts so it flutters back and forth

If you put the fuel tank on the bench the relay would still flutter

If you removed the relay, the battery and switch and put it together on the bench with no bike attached it would still flutter
Back to top Go down
f3joel

f3joel

PostSubject: Re: bike died...Fuel Pump   bike died...Fuel Pump EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 9:59 am

I have never had to charge my battery once, so a dead battery is not the reason my bike made clicking noises.

Point is, you don't know what the problem with his bike is.
You are speculating.
I am not saying that the problem is 100% the fuel pump, but it is a possibility.

Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: bike died...Fuel Pump   bike died...Fuel Pump EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 10:02 am

I guess your tech experience doesn't count, Red. Rolling Eyes

PostSubject: Re: bike died...Fuel Pump   bike died...Fuel Pump EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 10:36 am

Easy now, everybody. We're all learning these bikes and we'll do best if we keep all our heads together. It seems to me we get pissy awfully easy sometimes.

Sarah

Edit: Now that I think about it, my last comment above sounds a little pissy. Sorry about that.

Last edited by greer on Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: bike died...Fuel Pump   bike died...Fuel Pump EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 10:44 am

Yeah, interesting isn't it. :hmmm: There's a lot of valuable knowledge to be gleaned, and when we have experts in the field helping out that's always a bonus. thumb

jason meacham

PostSubject: Re: bike died...Fuel Pump   bike died...Fuel Pump EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 11:03 am

I ordered a new fuelpump for my 08 wrr afew days ago. my bike only acted up once last august and almost left me stranded 150 miles from where I was staying..I had similar problems that others are describing about their pumps..I ordered the pump after reading posts on here about other people having pump problems and my bike is an 08 and does fall in the japan recall vin# (mylast 4 numbers are 2419),,so I was thinking about the riding I plan on doing this summer and most of the time I'm by myself in far away places.so I guess my point here is,,I'm replacing my pump for my own peace of mind/insurance,,,,If the bike does the same thing again at least I will know it's not the fuel pump..I couldn't kick myself in the ass hard enough if I were stranded somewhere with a bad pump and I could have fixed it sooner,,,,,,,,,,I read what 0007onwr wrote and almost has me second guessing myself,,he is one of the few guys on this forum that I would trust 100%....Now alls I can do is wait and see and I will post what happens...new pump should be here any day now............Jason
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: bike died...Fuel Pump   bike died...Fuel Pump EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 11:14 am

jason meacham wrote:
I read what 0007onwr wrote ... he is one of the few guys on this forum that I would trust 100%
Red has probably the most experience (if not THE most) on this board when it comes to tech stuff related to Yamahas. It's not because I've personally known him for many years, but I've seen the work he does, I've talked to others who work with him and have heard nothing but high recommendations. He doesn't just pull an answer out of his ass; he's been in the trenches for many years and if there's something not quite right, he'll be the first one to jump in and figure out where it went wrong and what it's gonna take to get it back going. If there's one thing about Red, he's anal about not leaving anything unturned. deal thumb

PostSubject: Battery   bike died...Fuel Pump EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 11:24 am

f3joel wrote:
I have never had to charge my battery once, so a dead battery is not the reason my bike made clicking noises.

I would have to agree with that--if the battery was dead then the relay could not click (flutter). :^)
However, trouble shooting would require that the purpose of the fluttering relay be ascertained. Remember the fuel pump as well as the starter have relays--different current capabilities but both relays that can flutter under the right set of circumstances.
So the fuel pump could in concept cause a fluttering relay.
As with most trouble shooting on the internet\forums a correct diagnosis is often difficult.
From what is posted a defective (sulfated) or undercharged battery appears most likely.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: bike died...Fuel Pump   bike died...Fuel Pump EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 11:35 am

I guess I'll have to post what my experience was then in regards to a dead battery. Before I installed a relay system for all my electrical accessories, someone had toyed with my heated grip switch and drained my battery. When I went to go start my bike, it wouldn't start, BUT....it did make that fluttering noise when I hit the starter. Same noise my quad made when it's battery went dead too (and it's also a Yamaha). When I checked it, the noise was coming from behind the battery side panel, not from the fuel tank area. One thing I did hear also was the fuel pump priming...albeit really, really quiet, not like the normal whir I hear when I turn on the key. lurk

PostSubject: Re: bike died...Fuel Pump   bike died...Fuel Pump Empty

Back to top Go down

bike died...Fuel Pump
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next