Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Engine swap

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
promark03

promark03

Engine swap Empty
PostSubject: Engine swap   Engine swap EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 11:26 pm

So, my bike went swimming and took a bunch of water in the intake and into the engine. The motor lost all compression and wouldn't start. In other words, complete failure. I was looking at a pretty expensive fix, or shop bill. One of the members on this forum sent me a link to a motor for sale, so I bought it for $900. Anyway, so the motor came in today, and instantly I started swapping the motors. I have a couple of pictures to show you guys. I haven't started it yet because I forgot to buy oil and coolant. I will post a reply when I get it up and running.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Back to top Go down
greer

Engine swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine swap   Engine swap EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 6:42 am

Hope it fires up soon as you hit the key.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

Engine swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine swap   Engine swap EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 8:00 am

Cool.

Any plans for the old engine? I may beinterested in the head if it's not too boogered up.
Back to top Go down
promark03

promark03

Engine swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine swap   Engine swap EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 6:38 pm

Well, I got home today with some oil and coolant. After I added everything, I started it and it fired right up. Runs great.

As for the old engine, I think I am going to get the big bore kit and fix this one up.
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

Engine swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine swap   Engine swap EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 6:45 pm

promark03 wrote:
Well, I got home today with some oil and coolant. After I added everything, I started it and it fired right up. Runs great.

As for the old engine, I think I am going to get the big bore kit and fix this one up.

Nice that it was a painless transition for you, disregarding the expense of the engine, of course. Engine swap 61865

If you do the 290 kit and have any questions, I'd be happy to share my feeble knowledge of the process.
Back to top Go down
DesertRatliff

DesertRatliff

Engine swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine swap   Engine swap EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 10:39 am

Sweet! Good work!
Back to top Go down
Fuzzy Wrench

Fuzzy Wrench

Engine swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine swap   Engine swap EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 12:25 am

just my quick little grain of salt...that (old) engine may have a bent connecting rod/ crank, check it first before doing a 290 kit....
Back to top Go down
promark03

promark03

Engine swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine swap   Engine swap EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 8:20 pm

Thanks for the input Fuzzy wrench. I haven't looked at that yet. I did pull the head and cylinder off to see what was going on with the motor. I couldn't see any real damage. The piston and rings looked good, the cylinder was nice and smooth, and still had the cross hatch in it. As far as the valves. I don't really know how to tell if they are bad. They look like they are seating just fine. What else should I be looking for. Oh yeah, I also inspected the head gasket and it looked fine.

I don't have any experience with a blown head gasket, what should I be looking for?
Back to top Go down
promark03

promark03

Engine swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine swap   Engine swap EmptySat Jul 09, 2011 12:29 am

Ok, so here is the deal. I was wrong earlier when I said the piston and rings were good. I took a further look at the piston and what happened was, when the engine got fluid locked, it smashed the piston making the compression rings get locked in. I can't get the compression rings out at all. Basically it sandwiched the metal over the rings locking them in their place. The reason it's not getting any compression is because the rings are jammed in and they aren't pushing out on the cylinder walls like they should. The good thing is, the cylinder is fine. There aren't any scuff marks or gouges in it. Anyway, it should be an easy fix, then I will be selling this motor. I am going to put the oem piston and rings in, have the head looked at, at a shop, then test it and sell it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Engine swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine swap   Engine swap Empty

Back to top Go down

Engine swap
Page 1 of 1