Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Has anyone done the R1 tail light mod?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
cachunko

Has anyone done the R1 tail light mod? Empty
PostSubject: Has anyone done the R1 tail light mod?   Has anyone done the R1 tail light mod? EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 6:29 pm

I've found a couple of posts by people where they used a yamaha r1 tail light with integrated turn signals from a 2002-2003 R1. Anyone seen a tutorial or anyone know how hard it is? I'd love to do it. Can you just get any old tail light off of ebay like this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-03-Yamaha-YZF-R1-Tail-Brake-Turn-Signals-Light-Clear-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1c1a1d7a1fQQitemZ120697223711QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Wiring should be fairly simple I would think.
Back to top Go down
toast

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone done the R1 tail light mod?   Has anyone done the R1 tail light mod? EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 10:34 pm

That light is a piece of shit. I picked one up and it lasted about a week of riding in the dirt. Eventually the turn signals stopped working and when I checked it out I could hear resistors clunking around inside of it. All the components broke free from the circuit board.

Back to top Go down
cachunko

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone done the R1 tail light mod?   Has anyone done the R1 tail light mod? EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 10:49 pm

LOL good to know! What about a factory light from an r1. Should be decent?
Back to top Go down
cachunko

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone done the R1 tail light mod?   Has anyone done the R1 tail light mod? EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 10:52 pm

Did you do the mod to your wrr? How did the installation go?
Back to top Go down
cuban11182

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone done the R1 tail light mod?   Has anyone done the R1 tail light mod? EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 4:54 am

I've done it. It wasn't hard at all. I don't take my bike off road, but it's lasted me quite a while. I cut off the old connectors and soldered and heat shrunk the wires. The most time consuming was figuring out the wires for the signals.

Has anyone done the R1 tail light mod? Th_VIDEO0002
Back to top Go down
cachunko

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone done the R1 tail light mod?   Has anyone done the R1 tail light mod? EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 6:21 am

I figured it would just be a lot of trial and error figuring out what wires go where. How did you get the old tail light out of the housing?
Back to top Go down
cuban11182

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone done the R1 tail light mod?   Has anyone done the R1 tail light mod? EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 10:22 am

It's been a while, but if I remember correctly I had to remove the seat, side cover where the battery was, and fender. This was just to make everything easier to get to. To remove the light from the housing I "believe" there were two screws holding in the back. I'm sure if you look under there you can figure it out.
Back to top Go down
cachunko

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone done the R1 tail light mod?   Has anyone done the R1 tail light mod? EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 4:41 pm

Cool. Thanks for your help.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone done the R1 tail light mod?   Has anyone done the R1 tail light mod? Empty

Back to top Go down

Has anyone done the R1 tail light mod?
Page 1 of 1