Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

WR250X highway commuter

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
josh

WR250X highway commuter Empty
PostSubject: WR250X highway commuter   WR250X highway commuter EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 1:10 pm

Just wanted to throw in MHO of the experience I've had on the highway with this little SuperMoto ADV thing called the WR250x (08). I have had the pleasure of owning a 09 KLX250S and a 08 DRZ400S and must conclude the WR250x is by far the best commuter/highway ride out of the three. I did not do any significant mods to the engines of either three bikes with the exception of pipes and airboxes. I also made all three more comfortable with bar risers and aftermarket seats when available and if worth the money. In most cases the Alaska Leather seat is the cheapest most comfortable additions to sitting/commuting comfort. I did drop teeth in the rear of the KLX and DRZ which helped tremendously. My conclussions are the DRZ is in desperate need of a 6th gear (although dropping teeth in the rear was a huge improvement) and the lack of vibration dampening was really missed. This baby vibrated....ALOT. As beautiful as she was she had to go....BUMMER puke

The KLX was a fantastic little bike but just lacked the get up and go I felt I needed and the cold starts and stalling just drove me crazy. The seat was the most comfortable out of the three and had significantly less vibe to my suprise then the DRZ. Again she had to go...... puke

So here I am now enjoying and commited long term to the 08 WR250X . It has everything the others didn't before modding . I love the FI, the perkiness of the motor and the 6th gear. It puts me in the SWEET SPOT of 70MPH. The bike has some vibe but nothing near that of the DRZ. She gives a commanding riding position and with the 2" Rox Risers and the Rick Mayer comfort seat, I'm a very happy guy. I do think the improvements with the LeoVince pipe and the airbox mods took the edge off the motor. These are wonderful motorcycles which prove that less is more when packaged correctly. All bikes need adjusting, but it's nice to get to a realistic point when you can honestly say...OK enough's.....enough. Hope I didn't bore you o rwaste your time. Ride safe and ride often...... freaky

WR250X highway commuter WP_000141

Last edited by josh on Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
twday

twday

PostSubject: Re: WR250X highway commuter   WR250X highway commuter EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 2:25 pm

What's your commute like? Miles & traffic?

During the summer, I am a semi-retired college instructor and don't commute much (except for damned academic meetings). Fall and spring, I have a short 12 mile freeway or residential road commute and my WRX is perfect for either. I have not felt the need for more power/noise or other motor mods, but I'd like to improve my mileage to that EPA rated 71mpg more regularly. I tour on the bike, too, and mileage would be more important there than power/noise.

I have not ridden a more fun motorcycle since I was 20-something and raced 125 two-strokes.
Back to top Go down
josh

PostSubject: Re: WR250X highway commuter   WR250X highway commuter EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 4:00 pm

I travel approximately 30 miles round trip depending on route. Most of it is highway. The traffic can be terrible in Seattle for no reason. We do have quite a bit of construction going on. In city riding is ok with the comanding views on traffic and the hi viz to the other drivers. She is very versatile bike and works well for carrying small loads. The hard case and soft bag I have can carry alot when needed. I just measured MPG and am sitting at 70. The Safari tank is very nice. Low fuel light comes on around 165 miles. This a huge improvement over stock. Congrats on the semi retirement...not a easy task in today's world.
Back to top Go down
twday

twday

PostSubject: Re: WR250X highway commuter   WR250X highway commuter EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 8:18 pm

josh wrote:
I travel approximately 30 miles round trip depending on route. Most of it is highway. The traffic can be terrible in Seattle for no reason. We do have quite a bit of construction going on. In city riding is ok with the comanding views on traffic and the hi viz to the other drivers. She is very versatile bike and works well for carrying small loads. The hard case and soft bag I have can carry alot when needed. I just measured MPG and am sitting at 70. The Safari tank is very nice. Low fuel light comes on around 165 miles. This a huge improvement over stock. Congrats on the semi retirement...not a easy task in today's world.

I've had some serious surprises in Seattle. Those motorcycle-beware signs seem to appear about 100 feet after the road goes to hell. No going back then.

My low fuel light comes on at about 130 miles with the 3 gallon IMS tank. I have only pulled 70mpg once in 3,000 miles, so far. I am "not small," however.

The trick to retirement is to set your expectations low and be easily satisfied.
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: WR250X highway commuter   WR250X highway commuter EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 9:52 pm

twday wrote:
The trick to retirement is to set your expectations low and be easily satisfied.

I don't think you need to be retired to do that. Very happy
Back to top Go down
twday

twday

PostSubject: Re: WR250X highway commuter   WR250X highway commuter EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 10:15 pm

No you don't, but it takes years of practice to get it right. Very happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WR250X highway commuter   WR250X highway commuter Empty

Back to top Go down

WR250X highway commuter
Page 1 of 1