Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Have you ever seen someting like this

Go down 
+8
kbike
X-Racer
YZEtc
pbnut
spacecadet
promark03
motokid
Marylucky
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Marylucky

Marylucky

Have you ever seen someting like this Empty
PostSubject: Have you ever seen someting like this   Have you ever seen someting like this EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 8:17 am

I just install my new chain from D2MOTO and this is what append:

Have you ever seen someting like this Th_VID_20110711_072557
Is it just a bad chain or maybe the sproket... first time I see this.
I can't run the bike like this, the chain turn free around the sproket when I try to move :(
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever seen someting like this   Have you ever seen someting like this EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 9:10 am

Not exactly sure what the issue is because the picture isn't really clear.

What size chain did you order? What series?

You obviously have a stock 2008 rear sprocket on there.
What from do you have? What's your gearing? Is it all stock?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Marylucky

Marylucky

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever seen someting like this   Have you ever seen someting like this EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 9:17 am

motokid wrote:
Not exactly sure what the issue is because the picture isn't really clear.

What size chain did you order? What series?

You obviously have a stock 2008 rear sprocket on there.
What from do you have? What's your gearing? Is it all stock?

It's a video... you have to clik
I have the stock sprokets 520 108 link
Back to top Go down
promark03

promark03

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever seen someting like this   Have you ever seen someting like this EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 9:54 am

Well, there is only one explanation. It's the wrong size chain. I haven't ever seen this happen before. I know those chains are really cheap. I would call the people I bought it from.
Back to top Go down
Marylucky

Marylucky

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever seen someting like this   Have you ever seen someting like this EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 1:11 pm

Just bought a new chain, will try it tonight, hope the problem is not the sproket !
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever seen someting like this   Have you ever seen someting like this EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 1:54 pm

What was wrong with old chain?

Is the sprocket warped, bent, or missing teeth?

Was the old stock chain riding properly across sprocket?

I find it hard to believe your sprocket is the problem.

But if it is - get a new rear sprocket.

In fact - trash that stock rear POS with the noisy rubber gasket and get a new one.

You'll be glad you did.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Marylucky

Marylucky

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever seen someting like this   Have you ever seen someting like this EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 2:38 pm

I read a little bit about other rear sproket that fit.
Is this list for 250X or for 250R... maybe it's the same ?

1984 Honda XR250R
1985 Honda XR250R
1986 Honda XR250R
1987 Honda XR250R
1988 Honda XR250R
1989 Honda XR250R

2001 Yamaha WR250F
2002 Yamaha WR250F
2003 Yamaha WR250F
2004 Yamaha WR250F
2005 Yamaha WR250F
2006 Yamaha WR250F
2007 Yamaha WR250F
2008 Yamaha WR250F
2009 Yamaha WR250F

1999 Yamaha WR400F
2000 Yamaha WR400F
2003 Yamaha WR450F
2004 Yamaha WR450F
2005 Yamaha WR450F
2006 Yamaha WR450F

1999 Yamaha YZ125
2000 Yamaha YZ125
2001 Yamaha YZ125
2002 Yamaha YZ125
2003 Yamaha YZ125
2004 Yamaha YZ125
2005 Yamaha YZ125
2006 Yamaha YZ125
2007 Yamaha YZ125

1999 Yamaha YZ250
2000 Yamaha YZ250
2001 Yamaha YZ250
2002 Yamaha YZ250
2003 Yamaha YZ250
2004 Yamaha YZ250
2005 Yamaha YZ250
2006 Yamaha YZ250
2007 Yamaha YZ250
2008 Yamaha YZ250
2009 Yamaha YZ250

2001 Yamaha YZ250F
2002 Yamaha YZ250F
2003 Yamaha YZ250F
2004 Yamaha YZ250F
2005 Yamaha YZ250F
2006 Yamaha YZ250F
2007 Yamaha YZ250F
1999 Yamaha YZ400F
2000 Yamaha YZ426F
2001 Yamaha YZ426F
2002 Yamaha YZ426F
2003 Yamaha YZ450F
2004 Yamaha YZ450F
2005 Yamaha YZ450F
2006 Yamaha YZ450F
Back to top Go down
Marylucky

Marylucky

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever seen someting like this   Have you ever seen someting like this EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 2:46 pm

motokid wrote:
What was wrong with old chain?
Never grease it for 3500 km so it was rusty and the track stretch it a lot

Is the sprocket warped, bent, or missing teeth?
Nothig I can see

Was the old stock chain riding properly across sprocket?
Yes

I find it hard to believe your sprocket is the problem.
Me too :p

But if it is - get a new rear sprocket.
Planning to... what do you suggest ?

In fact - trash that stock rear POS with the noisy rubber gasket and get a new one.

You'll be glad you did.

PS. Sorry for my English, I'm doing my best
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever seen someting like this   Have you ever seen someting like this EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 4:29 pm

I don't know about part numbers, and if you're outside USofA I'd really not trust my info on that.

I ordered my stuff from here:

click me <-- clicky

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever seen someting like this   Have you ever seen someting like this EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 4:30 pm

Your English is 1 gazillion times better than any other language I might try to speak/type. bow bow

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Marylucky

Marylucky

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever seen someting like this   Have you ever seen someting like this EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 4:48 pm

motokid wrote:
I don't know about part numbers, and if you're outside USofA I'd really not trust my info on that.

I ordered my stuff from here:

click me <-- clicky

I took the information here :
https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t5-chains-and-sprockets
I can order my parts from the US. Just wanted to know if other rear sproket of other bikes can fit. And if Yes, is it the bikes that are on this link ?
Back to top Go down
spacecadet

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever seen someting like this   Have you ever seen someting like this EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 6:19 pm

i remember reading about a similar issue someone had because of that rubber "pretend kush drive" on the stock sprocket.
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever seen someting like this   Have you ever seen someting like this EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 10:30 pm

I've seen this before when new components get mixed with old ones. In this case the old sprocket may be worn to the point that it's not meshing with the new properly sized chain.

This is why the standing rule is to replace sprockets and chains together.

It could also be that you received the wrong pitch chain.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever seen someting like this   Have you ever seen someting like this EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 10:42 pm

I'd get a new rear sprocket.
Assuming that your new chain is, indeed, the required 520 pitch, I think the rubber dampers on the stock sprocket does not fit other brands of 520 chains too well.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever seen someting like this   Have you ever seen someting like this EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 11:41 pm

Just from eyeballing it, I'd guess that is a 530 chain.

...and oh God do I adore Francais speaking Canadian women.

They can tell you to, "...take out the trash idiot ! and it translates directly to "Make love to me all night"
Back to top Go down
Marylucky

Marylucky

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever seen someting like this   Have you ever seen someting like this EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 8:30 am

I'm pretty sure it's a 520... all the link are marked with 520 on them

It's the second time I change the chain without changing the sprokets
Last time there were no isues like this
I bought a new chain yesterday, gonna try it tonight to see if the sproket is the problem

Anyway my sprokets are done so I will buy new ones today

How many miles do you put on your chain before you need to change it ?

It's sad, the new chain is not blue woohoo

... lollll you're funny ! :) And I wrote english better than I talk it, so you can imagine how bad it is when I speak Shog

Back to top Go down
kbike

kbike

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever seen someting like this   Have you ever seen someting like this EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 11:41 am

This just happened to me last month when I bought a new cheaper chain, different from the one I usually buy. The outside side plates were riding on the rubber of the sprocket and not allowing the chain to seat on the sprocket teeth. I put the old chain back on until I got a new chain and sprocket. The stock POS sprockets, front and rear, are the only ones I've ever seen with the rubber bonded on the sides. It may have been a good idea that in reality is more of a problem than a solution.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever seen someting like this   Have you ever seen someting like this EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 4:33 pm

Marylucky wrote:
I'm pretty sure it's a 520... all the link are marked with 520 on them

It's the second time I change the chain without changing the sprokets
Last time there were no isues like this
My guess is that is your problem right there. The gullet is probably really, really wide by now and the teeth probably don't make it much past half way up the diameter of the rollers.

Quote :
I bought a new chain yesterday, gonna try it tonight to see if the sproket is the problem
It's sad, the new chain is not blue woohoo
Anyway my sprokets are done so I will buy new ones today
I suspect that if you change out the sprockies first, your nice blue chain will work just fine.

Quote :
How many miles do you put on your chain before you need to change it ?
Varies very, very widely. In my opinion, hard to ask a question like that without related background information to give it context.

Quote :
... lollll you're funny ! :) And I wrote english better than I talk it, so you can imagine how bad it is when I speak Shog
Phone us up and say "You like chocolate chip cookie" with that French accent?

The girls from Hull got me with that accent every single time while I was out at Rockcliffe at the CPC.

Hull... what a great place for single guys!

My Français is pretty fugly. If language becomes an issue for you on some subject, PM Dancamp. He is fluently bilingual and can help you understand our mumblings.

kbike wrote:
The stock POS sprockets, front and rear, are the only ones I've ever seen with the rubber bonded on the sides. It may have been a good idea that in reality is more of a problem than a solution.
I ran those as long as I could get them for free. Never had a single issue with them. They squeaked when the chain got dry - but being told your chain is overdue for cleaning and lubing is an asset in my world, if you let ignoring maintenance go that far (I'm aware some advocate not lubing chains, but I do). I think the idea was to help minimize noise, but that rubber on an already worn sprocket may indeed prevent a chain from properly seating on the sprocket.

A good closeup picture of the new chain on the old sprockies would be interesting, along with a picture of the old sprockies from the sides.
Back to top Go down
kbike

kbike

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever seen someting like this   Have you ever seen someting like this EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 5:49 pm

Jäger wrote:

A good closeup picture of the new chain on the old sprockies would be interesting, along with a picture of the old sprockies from the sides.

Here are some pictures of my 2 new chains on the old sprocket. It's the inside plates that are keeping the chain off the sprocket. Both are Primary Drive O-ring chains, the one on the right is the cheaper with holes in the plates to squeeze out the mud, I assume.

Have you ever seen someting like this SANY0065-M

Have you ever seen someting like this SANY0062-M

Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever seen someting like this   Have you ever seen someting like this EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 7:16 pm

Have you ever seen someting like this Cantse10
Back to top Go down
Marylucky

Marylucky

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever seen someting like this   Have you ever seen someting like this EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 7:07 pm

So : just put the new sprokets on and everything works fine
The blue chain is working !

I took some pictures of the old sprokets, gonna upload them at work tomorow.
I did everything by myself Very happy I'm so happy that everything works because my race is in 3 weeks !

I check my swingarm as a saw a thread about it grinded by the chain and I think mine is grinded too.
It's under the swingarm near the end of the chain roller.
Is it because it's too tight or it's too loose ?
The chain roller doesn't seem to be in bad shape

What sag are you ridding on your X for both front and rear suspension ?
Did you change the oil thikness or the springs ?

Mary :)
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever seen someting like this   Have you ever seen someting like this EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 12:26 am

Marylucky wrote:
I check my swingarm as a saw a thread about it grinded by the chain and I think mine is grinded too.
It's under the swingarm near the end of the chain roller.
Is it because it's too tight or it's too loose ?
The chain roller doesn't seem to be in bad shape
If your swingarm has been eaten by your chain, it will be right at the very forward edge of the swingarm. Looking at it from the side, it will be in the area of somewhere around 6 o'clock to 9 o'clock. Mine was so bad it was also rubbing on the swingarm well back from the front - but my problems had to do with a rock.

General feeling is that it results from having your chain too tight. With the bike on the sidestand, if you push up with about 30 lbs pressure in the middle of the chain, it should measure between 8 and 13mm between the edge of the chain and the bottom of the swingarm. I've always adjusted mine to the loose end of that range i.e. 8mm.

I don't have a reference at my fingertips, but the graphic and text explaining this has been posted here several times. Search is your friend...
Back to top Go down
Marylucky

Marylucky

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever seen someting like this   Have you ever seen someting like this EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 10:07 am

The old sproket with the new chain :

Have you ever seen someting like this Img_2010

Both new and old sprokets :

Have you ever seen someting like this Img_2011

My blue chain in place with the new sproket :

Have you ever seen someting like this Img_2012

And this is my swingarm :
Have you ever seen someting like this Img_2013
Have you ever seen someting like this Img_2014
Have you ever seen someting like this Img_2015
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever seen someting like this   Have you ever seen someting like this EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 6:08 am

Yes, the same thing happened to me when I ran my chain too loose. You need a new slider immediately, otherwise you may add to the damage on the swingarm.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
mr-cave

mr-cave

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever seen someting like this   Have you ever seen someting like this EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 6:20 am

Just say. Dont mix new chain/ sprockets with old ones. This is what happens....

The chain will strech out pretty fast and will form the sprockets after its shape a bit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever seen someting like this   Have you ever seen someting like this Empty

Back to top Go down

Have you ever seen someting like this
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum :: Technical :: What Broke?-
Jump to: