Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Mod restriction from Yamaha?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
MrGreenjeans

Mod restriction from Yamaha? Empty
PostSubject: Mod restriction from Yamaha?   Mod restriction from Yamaha? EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 3:01 pm

Hello all,
I am new here. I just took delivery of my 2010 250x yesterday. I love it!! I've put about 50 illegal miles on it already (still waiting to get Title so I can register it). I already want more power. I only want to go with Yamaha mods. On the Yamaha web site, the cheapest and easiest power increase seems to be the GYTR Competition slip-on muffler. However, at the bottom of the description for the muffler is this:

"**For closed-course competition only. Valid racing credentials from a recognized sactioning body must be presented at the time of purchase."

Does anyone know if this is true? Am I actually required to be a valid racer if I want to purchase and install this on my bike? Any comments welcome.

Also, do the aluminum timimg plugs (as opposed to stock plastic) help for performance in any way?

Thanks again for any help.
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

PostSubject: Re: Mod restriction from Yamaha?   Mod restriction from Yamaha? EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 3:45 pm

Why only Yamaha hop-up parts? The other offerings are many, and less expensive than the GYTR parts. A simple slip-on muffler from just about any manufacturer will not void your warranty.

As to the plugs, red ones are the fastest. amazon
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Mod restriction from Yamaha?   Mod restriction from Yamaha? EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 4:36 pm

+1 to Builderbob, except red is not fastest color.

No, you do not need to be a licensed racer to purchase any part from anywhere.

What that means is it's louder than stock. Which means it may not, and probably won't pass noise restrictions at your local motor vehicle.

Look into gearing changes, which may mean a new chain, exhaust, an efi programmer, and airbox/flapper mods.

Some of those may not make Yamaha too happy.....

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
MrGreenjeans

PostSubject: Re: Mod restriction from Yamaha?   Mod restriction from Yamaha? EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 10:09 am

Thanks Guys,
I went with the extended warranty, so I was thinking that any non-Yamaha aftermarket part might void the warrenty. Thanks BuilderBob, I wasn't sure.

Ok, you guys can rip on me for the doofus question about the timing plugs poser2 What I meant to ask was is there a diffference in performance in the size 14mm vs. 32mm.

Motokid, I notice you all over this forum, and the fact that a great deal of other SMJ's turn to you for advice and suggestions. I, too, value your input, perspective, and advice. You mentioned gearing changes (new chain), exhaust, efi programmer (? don't know what this is but I will check it out), and airbox/flapper mods. What would be the first thing you would do to enhance the performance of a stock 250X?

Thanks again for the input.
Back to top Go down
millert85

PostSubject: Re: Mod restriction from Yamaha?   Mod restriction from Yamaha? EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 6:59 pm

what you need to remember is that what ever aftermarket parts you put on, will void your warranty on the effected areas. ie. a fuel controller = kiss any engine warranty goodbye, lowering link = bye bye to any suspension/chassis warranty

as for buying the pipe, dealers dont care who you are... in these times we're glad to just have some1 walking thru the door. i do know in aust we have a legal obligation to let customers know that their shiney new pipe is not ADR approved (Australia Design Rules, approved for road use). after that its all on them.
Back to top Go down
MrGreenjeans

PostSubject: Re: Mod restriction from Yamaha?   Mod restriction from Yamaha? EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 11:39 am

Thanks Millert85,
That is what I was afraid of. So I guess I will just be happy with what I have (nice bike and 5 year warranty). There was no need for me to get greedy about power anyways. Thanks to all for your input.
Back to top Go down
smitty!!!

PostSubject: Re: Mod restriction from Yamaha?   Mod restriction from Yamaha? EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 4:04 am

Just did a quick google search and found this : http://www.roadstarraider.com/index.php?topic=4285.0

-smitty
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Mod restriction from Yamaha?   Mod restriction from Yamaha? EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 5:41 am

MrGreenjeans wrote:
What would be the first thing you would do to enhance the performance of a stock 250X?

Thanks again for the input.

I'm willing to bet money you won't wait 5 years to start doing things that "might" effect your warranty. Very happy

Not to mention that many mods are not permanent, and can be reversed. A fuel programmer is just as easy to remove as it is to install. Airbox door can be put back on. Stock air filter can be put back in, stock exhaust can be bolted back on......you get the picture.

Any way - for you, if you have the desire to not effect your warranty - I'd research some gearing changes.
One tooth down on front is about 20 bucks. No need for new chain. new front and rear with new chain makes for a happy rider too.

You're going to be pretty limited on how to increase power and still pass some Yamaha service tech inspection for warranty infractions. Although, to be honest, I've no idea what does and doesn't effect the warranty.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
MrGreenjeans

PostSubject: Re: Mod restriction from Yamaha?   Mod restriction from Yamaha? EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 9:45 am

Thanks, Motokid. Good things for me to think about. I the meantime, I'm having a BLAST!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mod restriction from Yamaha?   Mod restriction from Yamaha? Empty

Back to top Go down

Mod restriction from Yamaha?
Page 1 of 1