Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Help please. Delorme PN60w w/spot or Garmin Oregon 450t or?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
JustWannaRide

Help please.  Delorme PN60w w/spot or Garmin Oregon 450t or? Empty
PostSubject: Help please. Delorme PN60w w/spot or Garmin Oregon 450t or?   Help please.  Delorme PN60w w/spot or Garmin Oregon 450t or? EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 10:43 pm

Any and all input appreciated.

I am looking at the two GPS units, Delorme PN-60W with spot and the Garmin Oregon 450t.

What I need it for is mainly riding the WR2. I want to be able to ride a lot of off road trails etc. I need something that is waterproof (or at the very least resistant). I want a GPS that can and will handle the vibrations etc from the bike and my abuse. I know there is not an indestructable GPS. I also want to geocache with the kids etc on occasion. A unit that is handheld for hiking etc is also good (both of which seem to apply).

I like the Delorme PN-60W with spot: The fam can watch my progress etc when I am out however I know there is a subscription required. I don't plan on any really long outings (a week +) just maybe a weekend ride and camp etc. The buttons seem like they will be easier to manipulate with gloves on compared to a touch screen.

I like the Garmin 450t: It does about everything the Delorme does except the spot. It is also touch screen which my guess is would be an issue with gloves?

I hear Delorme has better maps, support, etc.

I also just saw the Garmin eTrex 30 and eTrex 20 announced but no idea on price.

I heard with Garmin when you buy maps it is only for use on one device?

Delorme also has other maps to buy?

I have no idea.

Either one the PN-60W with spot or the Oregon 450t I can get for about $380.00. Does not include any kind of subscription etc.

The eTrex 30 I don't know much about it but it also touch screen.

I do have an iphone 3gs which I have read you can download topos etc however not too sure how well it would work?

I prefer a GPS I can hook up to my Mac computers however I don't think any do without bootcamp which is okay as I do run windows on it already for some other software that only run Windows. I wish there were more Mac friendly programs etc.

Help please, I am going crazy.

Last edited by JustWannaRide on Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added iphone info)
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Help please. Delorme PN60w w/spot or Garmin Oregon 450t or?   Help please.  Delorme PN60w w/spot or Garmin Oregon 450t or? EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 2:58 am

Sorry I didn't see the new post here.

I would say "Neither of the above" to your two current GPS units of interest.

I don't like touch screens to begin with, but if you're thinking to go that route, I would look at the new Garmin Montana.

The Delorme is a good GPS - in function, they're all pretty much the same.

The reality is, like it or not, Garmin owns the recreational GPS world. There are more aftermarket maps, products, etc. If you don't care about that (but you probably will end up caring) then go with the Delorme if you like that.

I use a Garmin Rino 530HCX on my WR usually. The other choice is a Trimble, and you don't even want to know what they cost. It rarely offers any advantages over the Garmin.

Also on the bars with the Rino is a SPOT. I don't really want a SPOT hooked up to my GPS so that if the GPS gets toasted, the SPOT does as well. And the SPOT standalones are so small that a combined unit doesn't add much in my opinion.

Garmin, Delorme etc all get their maps from the same sources i.e. in Canada, they get their mapsheets from Natural Resources Canada. In the US, from the USGS. So they can theme them differently, but they all have the same base data. When it comes to choices in maps, Garmin is head and shoulders above everyone else. Try and find something like Backroads Mapbooks, made for Canada, in a format other than Garmin. Or Dale Atkins' Ibycus project of topo mapping for Canada and the US. Guys write software for the largest potential market, and that's Garmin.

Some Garmin maps are coded to the one device; some aren't. It's their attempt to deal with piracy. Other Garmin options are purchasing the maps on a SD Card. Then the maps are on whatever computer you stick the chip in - but it can't be on two at once. I have multiple Garmin mapsets and do some development work for another GPS map company; I don't see the licensing as a problem for the use that is intended.

Your GPS doesn't care what operating system you hook it up to. What it does care is if the manufacturers proprietary software is on that computer. Much of the GPS-related software is Windows only, so you can fight the tide or go with a Windows emulator - this is one of those Mac advantages.

For your phone, the leader of the pack at the moment is the latest Android devices. Craftycoder over on ADV has written a nice little utility that allows an Android to cache maps beforehand, so your Android phone can still serve as your GPS, even when you are out of connectivity.

This GPS has just been discontinued, simply to bring in an advanced version with more useless bells and whistles, but this one would be my first choice:
http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-GPSMAP-60CSx-Handheld-Navigator/dp/B000CSOXTO

Or this one (which I use), also discontinued in favour of a newer version which I like less:
http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Rino-530HCx-2-Way-Radio/dp/B000QJNC78/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1312354062&sr=1-1
Back to top Go down
JustWannaRide

PostSubject: Re: Help please. Delorme PN60w w/spot or Garmin Oregon 450t or?   Help please.  Delorme PN60w w/spot or Garmin Oregon 450t or? EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 7:29 am

Wow, thank you for the information. I will definitely look into the two units you mentioned. Also as you mentioned, the Montana would be my other consideration.

I did not like the feel etc of the delorme in store.

I will post what I end up getting but it is gonna be a little while.

Again, thank you for the great information.

Rick
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: Help please. Delorme PN60w w/spot or Garmin Oregon 450t or?   Help please.  Delorme PN60w w/spot or Garmin Oregon 450t or? EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 2:08 pm

Garmin is easier to get hacked map updates for ;) I've got the Colorado 20 (smaller version of the Oregon) and other than a broken screen it's been good to me. If you are capable of soldering ribbon cables the screen is easy to find online and not terribly hard to replace (30 mins).
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Help please. Delorme PN60w w/spot or Garmin Oregon 450t or?   Help please.  Delorme PN60w w/spot or Garmin Oregon 450t or? EmptyThu Aug 04, 2011 12:21 am

JustWannaRide wrote:
Wow, thank you for the information. I will definitely look into the two units you mentioned. Also as you mentioned, the Montana would be my other consideration.

I did not like the feel etc of the delorme in store.
You will quickly get used to whatever you buy. However, unless you like doing the salmon route, Garmin is simply the way to go.

Quote :
I will post what I end up getting but it is gonna be a little while.
If you wait to much longer, whatever you get isn't going to be a 60CSx or a refurbished Rino 530HCx - the word is out on the fact they're being blown out as deals, and sources of the 60CSx are drying up pretty fast. Once they're gone, you'll then have to pay twice as much for some useless bells and whistles.

This refurbished Rino is about as inexpensive as you're going to get a Rino (GPS with radio and polling/texting built in).

http://www.pcnation.com/web/details.asp?affid=304&item=6G0730

And the one year warranty is exactly as long as the warranty on a brand spanking new unit. Buy a Mack extended service contract, about 4 additional years for $30, and you are good to go.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help please. Delorme PN60w w/spot or Garmin Oregon 450t or?   Help please.  Delorme PN60w w/spot or Garmin Oregon 450t or? Empty

Back to top Go down

Help please. Delorme PN60w w/spot or Garmin Oregon 450t or?
Page 1 of 1