Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Skid Lids

Go down 
+7
SpiritWolf15
BPG
YamWOW!
mtb
inspector
john92
Fargo_Wolf
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Fargo_Wolf

Fargo_Wolf

Skid Lids Empty
PostSubject: Skid Lids   Skid Lids EmptyThu May 21, 2009 5:48 pm

I wear glasses, so wearing goggles is out of the question. I've seen "Dual Sport" lids that look like MX helmets, yet they also have a visor on them. Does anyone on the board have one? Would it be a worthwhile investment?
Back to top Go down
john92

Skid Lids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skid Lids   Skid Lids EmptyThu May 21, 2009 6:53 pm

I saw one for a little over $100 that I thought looked pretty cool. I thought about getting one plus keeping the full MX helmet that I have. I think it would work good if you can't wear goggles. Maybe there would be some kind of protector sheet to put on the face shield when you were offroading to protect it from scratches...
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

Skid Lids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skid Lids   Skid Lids EmptyThu May 21, 2009 7:33 pm

Glasses plus goggles. I wear glasses and will be getting a lid with goggles very shortly.
Skid Lids Matawa012
Back to top Go down
Fargo_Wolf

Fargo_Wolf

Skid Lids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skid Lids   Skid Lids EmptyFri May 22, 2009 10:07 am

This is the style of helmet I'm interested in:

Dual Sport Helmets

I'd like to know if anyone has one and if there are any issues with the visor fogging up or the like.
Back to top Go down
mtb

mtb

Skid Lids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skid Lids   Skid Lids EmptyFri May 22, 2009 10:20 am

I have the HJC CL-XS lid

Skid Lids Photo0160

I use it everday for commuting... once I plan to go to the track, I will use back my off road helmet+goggles

Fogging issue is there, esp if it rains heavily and you are moving slowly... what I do when it fogs is to open the visor a little bit and let the cold air in awhile to clear up the fog...

I love my HJC... but it's just bulkier and heavier than my off road lid....
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

Skid Lids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skid Lids   Skid Lids EmptyFri May 22, 2009 11:31 am

Hopefully you don't think me a d^ck for posting that pic. I just thought if glasses are your only concern then maybe you should try some on or rethink it.

To answer your question...Friend has the Aria DS helmet and loves it. Fogging is a very big issue in the fall, winter, and spring. There where a couple of times when he couldn't see. (even with the fogging issue-he still likes the helmet)
Back to top Go down
Fargo_Wolf

Fargo_Wolf

Skid Lids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skid Lids   Skid Lids EmptyFri May 22, 2009 4:50 pm

That's why I'm looking for opinions. For or against. I'd like to have as much info as I can before making a decision. And no Inspector, I don't think you're a d**k for posting that pic.
Back to top Go down
YamWOW!
Admin
YamWOW!

Skid Lids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skid Lids   Skid Lids EmptyFri May 22, 2009 9:57 pm

Scott sells several different goggles that are made for over the glasses. OTG after the model # is what your looking for.

BPG

Skid Lids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skid Lids   Skid Lids EmptySat May 23, 2009 7:10 pm

I use one of the new AFX FX 37 Dual Sport helmets. It was inexpensive, fit very well (reminded me of my HJC street helmets - very snug & secure), and is great for transitioning from street to dirt. Ventiliation is OK and field of view is pretty good as well.

I know you mentioned you wear glasses, but FWIW (for others) this helmet REALLY shines for on/off road transitions with a pair of goggles outfitted with "Quick Straps". For short road blasts the helmet allows you to close the visor over the goggle straps, and for longer trips you can simply detatch the velcro side of the Quick Strap, flip the goggles around so they're facing backwards, and ride on w/ the visor down (you can even do this on the fly w/ some practice!).

Really enjoyed the helmet & Quick Straps on a recent 700 mile DS trip to eastern Tennessee - made the trip that much better!
Skid Lids Post-834-1235366135
Back to top Go down
SpiritWolf15

SpiritWolf15

Skid Lids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skid Lids   Skid Lids EmptySun May 24, 2009 8:31 pm

Fargo_Wolf wrote:
I wear glasses, so wearing goggles is out of the question. I've seen "Dual Sport" lids that look like MX helmets, yet they also have a visor on them. Does anyone on the board have one? Would it be a worthwhile investment?

I wear glasses to there Farg... I wear them with safety goggles all the time with out problems, so wearing them under MX goggles shouldn't be an issue...

As for a suitable helmet, it depends what kind of riding you are hoping to be doing. strict off road, you'll be happier finding a pair of goggles that work, everyday commuting, you'll be better off with a visor lid.

There is always the option of prescription goggles.
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

Skid Lids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skid Lids   Skid Lids EmptySun May 24, 2009 8:50 pm

I think Tibarus is 100% correct....except for the prescription goggles. (unless you have money, i wouldn't do it.)

3 lids I've been looking at...(have to decide then wait until tue when banks open to deposit money so I can order one)

I'm really liking the rockgarden and not bad price.RockGarden
O'neal is on sale and I'm liking the price.O'neal......this was onsale for $99.99 (should have bought it when i had the chance)
Not liking the price on the SSO, but is the price difference worth it?SixSixOne
People have been telling me the SSO is the better of the three.

*also wear glasses on the road, goggles are the only thing that make a difference correct?
**not interested in the DS helmets (too cheap or way to expensive)
***hopefully you don't consider this threadjacking!!
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Skid Lids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skid Lids   Skid Lids EmptySun May 24, 2009 9:42 pm

You're like me, the full MX style lid. thumb I find them the most comfy. SSO has a real good reputation, as does Shoei and Arai. They higher end lids seem to have more gizmos, but not necessarily a better fit. Like I can't wear Shoei because of the shape of my melon.

PQRS...

Skid Lids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skid Lids   Skid Lids EmptyWed May 27, 2009 12:17 pm

ive got the afx helmet and really like it! the number 1 thing im most impressed with is the visibility.... i dont have to turn my head nearly as much to look behind me. i ride a x, and was using a street helmet. im sold on these dual sport type helmets!!

Skid Lids DSCF0006-1Skid Lids DSCF0011
Back to top Go down
Fargo_Wolf

Fargo_Wolf

Skid Lids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skid Lids   Skid Lids EmptyWed May 27, 2009 12:26 pm

Thanks for all the info guys. With the help Of Shewolf, I've been able to narrow down my choice of lids to two. Both are made by Zox, and cost bout $110 CDN. They are the Roost X and the Roost X Tribe 2. She's also recommended some goggles made by Scott that should work nicely with my glasses.
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

Skid Lids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skid Lids   Skid Lids EmptyWed May 27, 2009 2:16 pm

Sweet. Pics when it happens plz.

*I just spent over 2hours finding a good price and in stock, just to find out that after ordering it is not in stock.
Skid Lids 2009-3-series-helmet-avalon
Back to top Go down
Fargo_Wolf

Fargo_Wolf

Skid Lids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skid Lids   Skid Lids EmptyWed May 27, 2009 9:28 pm

Here's the links to the two lids in question:

Roost X

Roost X Tribe 2
Back to top Go down
Fargo_Wolf

Fargo_Wolf

Skid Lids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skid Lids   Skid Lids EmptyFri Jun 05, 2009 6:04 pm

Update:

Just got myself a new lid. While it wasn't the one I was looking for, it's still a good lid. I added a couple of paw print decals Shewolf gave me quite a while ago. It's a Can-Am Rotax.

The Pics:

Skid Lids DSCN0039

Skid Lids DSCN0040

Skid Lids DSCN0041

Skid Lids DSCN0042

Skid Lids DSCN0043

Skid Lids DSCN0044

It cost me $169.99,not including the PST, because it's a safety item.
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

Skid Lids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skid Lids   Skid Lids EmptySat Jun 06, 2009 12:06 am

Very nice, I'd rock that. How's it work with glasses? Got my O'neal in and goggles. The O'neals do NOT do well with glasses.
Back to top Go down
Fargo_Wolf

Fargo_Wolf

Skid Lids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skid Lids   Skid Lids EmptySat Jun 06, 2009 12:19 am

Still need to get the goggles. The lid was the big thing as it replaces my old lid which was a 2 piece and thus not "legal" on the road. My old lid is about 12 years old and needed replacing anyway, due to age, despite still being in excellent shape.

As for my glasses, I can comfortably wear them with it on.
Back to top Go down
SpiritWolf15

SpiritWolf15

Skid Lids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skid Lids   Skid Lids EmptyTue Jun 09, 2009 8:55 pm

Fargo_Wolf wrote:
Still need to get the goggles. The lid was the big thing as it replaces my old lid which was a 2 piece and thus not "legal" on the road. My old lid is about 12 years old and needed replacing anyway, due to age, despite still being in excellent shape.

As for my glasses, I can comfortably wear them with it on.

Your old lid wasn't in "great shape" fargo, it was a death sentence and not a real motorbike helmet.

The new one.... Yeah... not even gonna go there. The Wolf paws are a nice touch... But.... Can-Am? Don't you ride a Honda?
Back to top Go down
Twistagrip

Twistagrip

Skid Lids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skid Lids   Skid Lids EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 12:44 pm

mtb wrote:
I have the HJC CL-XS lid

Skid Lids Photo0160

I use it everday for commuting... once I plan to go to the track, I will use back my off road helmet+goggles

Fogging issue is there, esp if it rains heavily and you are moving slowly... what I do when it fogs is to open the visor a little bit and let the cold air in awhile to clear up the fog...

I love my HJC... but it's just bulkier and heavier than my off road lid....

I really wish that HJC would sell this lid in the U.S. GAHHHH
Back to top Go down
skierd

Skid Lids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skid Lids   Skid Lids EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 2:36 pm

I just bought a new lid for the road yesterday, shoei RF-1000. So thats what a comfy helmet feels like... quiet too. Lovin' it!

Here it is next to the dirt pig, an HJC CL-X5N.

Skid Lids Helmets

Shoei's for the road, HJC's for the dirt.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Skid Lids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skid Lids   Skid Lids Empty

Back to top Go down

Skid Lids
Page 1 of 1