Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Buying a KLR650

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

Buying a KLR650 Empty
PostSubject: Buying a KLR650   Buying a KLR650 EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 8:36 pm

Not replacing the WR, so no worries there.

Having just returned from my week-long Alaska adventure, I've decided to go with the flow and get the bike that I saw so many riders using up there. A guy I know is selling a 2008 KLR in excellent condition with only 3,800 miles for $2,500. I don't think I can pass it up.

So, anyone here with KLR experience? Anything to look out for? I'm already aware of an issue with the counter-balancer spring thingie. Experienced KLR past and present owners please respond.

Buying a KLR650 06ee4a08

Oh, and I've checked. There is room in the garage for one more motorcycle! Buying a KLR650 93746
Back to top Go down
bsheet2

bsheet2

Buying a KLR650 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buying a KLR650   Buying a KLR650 EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 8:49 pm

I have a 2008 KLR as well aas a WRR. I have had the KLR for about 2.5 years. It is well farkled. Looks like he has a fair price on it. The 2008+ can have issues with burning oil. Looks like it is priced to account for this. There is a real nice fix you may want to do whether it burns oil or not. The 685 cc piston from Schnitz racing. But the best way is to get linked up with WymanWinn on the KLR forum. He helps a lot of KLR riders. You will find the KLR crowd very helpful. Understand that you may need to do this if you buy the bike. My KLR burns about 1 qt of oil in 1000 miles as long as I keep the revs below 5000 rpm. She cruises out on hiway at about 4800 rpm at 65 mph stock. Mine will cruise at 70 mph at 4800 rpm when I have a 16t front drive sproket on it. I drop to 14t drive sproket when I get in rough stuff for sustained periods. 15t sprocket is stock.

To get the KLR adventure ready you will most likely spend another $1000 to $2000 depending on preferences and how much you weigh. To carry a lot of gear a stiffer rear spring may be needed on the rear. Many like to upgrade the suspention.

Yes, the Doohicky needs to be done. It is not hard to do. But use the torsion spring instead of a coiled spring when it is replaced. Eagle Mike is the man to call.

There is a whole lot more about the KLR. I suggest you go to KLR650.net and read the forum, There is tons of info in there. How to articles on hundreds of things.

I have really enjoyed my KLR. She does highway ok. I have had her in some pretty rough stuff. If I was leaving for Alaska tomorrow I would take the KLR without hesitation. The pig will carry a lot more gear than the WRR. If I was leaving on the TAT tomorrow I would take the WRR. The WRR is a good bit friendlier in the rough stuff. And a lot easier to pick up. Butt....if I did not have a WRR , I would not hesitate to take the KLR on the TAT. If I am headed for single track, the WRR is a must. Good riders will use their KLR on single track. But the WRR is far superior in that envirnonment.

There is quite a bit of over lap in capability between the KLR and WRR. If you will mainly use your second bike for long hiway and gravel roads, you may also think about a Wee Strom. The Wee Strom should be better on the hiway and is still capble on gravel roads and forest service roads, so I am told. I have never ridden one.

Hope that helps.
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

Buying a KLR650 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buying a KLR650   Buying a KLR650 EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 9:15 pm

Thanks. I wasn't aware of the oil consumption problem. Did you do the upgrade on yours, of do you just carry an extra quart of oil with you?

I've done a little snooping around on the KLR forum. Lots of info there.
Back to top Go down
bsheet2

bsheet2

Buying a KLR650 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buying a KLR650   Buying a KLR650 EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 9:20 pm

BuilderBob wrote:
Thanks. I wasn't aware of the oil consumption problem. Did you do the upgrade on yours, of do you just carry an extra quart of oil with you?

I've done a little snooping around on the KLR forum. Lots of info there.

Right now I just carry a qt of oil. It has not really been bad enough to spend the money for the 685. But I want to!
Back to top Go down
bsheet2

bsheet2

Buying a KLR650 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buying a KLR650   Buying a KLR650 EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 9:23 pm

If you get a KLR and do the 685, don't let anyone do the machining except the recommended shops on the KLR forum. There are some specific things that must be done that a local shop will most likely not know about. Some guys have messed up when they let competent well thought of local shops do the machining.
Back to top Go down
RT3856

RT3856

Buying a KLR650 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buying a KLR650   Buying a KLR650 EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 12:29 am

My KLR experience was not pleasant.

After a short time I sold it and bought the WR250Buying a KLR650 93746

Her is what was the final straw. Riding in the woods "alone" hit some tree roots, fell bike landed on me. took over an hour to scrape and claw my way out from under it.

I can bench press three hundred lbs but couldn't budge this beast. Just the posision I was trapped in.

Hope your luck is better than mine.

Note: I still ride alone and in the same terrain and haven't had the problems I did on the KLR.
Back to top Go down
taoshum

taoshum

Buying a KLR650 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buying a KLR650   Buying a KLR650 EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 1:36 am

I had an '08 and under-warranty, Kawasaki replaced the top end to stop the oil consumption... there's a big problem with the piston rings. If those have not been replaced, I wouldn't buy it. Kawa also replaced the speedo, the turn signals, the wiring harness near the front of the gas tank, the muffler bolts and a few other recalls.

I put on a center stand, an aluminum skid plate, a steering damper, a taller wind screen (don't bother), a smaller counter shaft sprocket, a sealed battery, grip heaters, dirt bagz, wolfman tail bag, a better license plate holder, disconnected the kick-stand interlock, fixed the headlight so I could turn it off, and added a rear suspension link to take the extra weight of me and the gear.

I took it on the western TAT, down to La Paz and back and a ride to Death Valley. It was terrible in sand, even with D606's and way too heavy for me. I had lots of improvements done on it but in the final analysis, when the 2010 WRR came out, I switched and have never regretted it.

Pre '08 KLRs are about 50lb lighter, have more ground clearance and are easier to ride off-road. The '08 and later models are more for pavement or improved gravel roads.

If you want or need the extra Hp, you might wanna look at the 650's from other companies. There are better motos out there, IMHO... as lots of riders say the KLR does nothing well but it does do everything sorta OK.

There are tons of them out there, plenty of parts, plenty of after-market stuff, and if something breaks, you can usually fix it yourself... it still has a carb, for instance. Always take a spare air filter, they seem to eat air filters.

I had about 12,000 miles on it when I sold it, some were pretty rough miles.

If you get one, buy a set of plastic side covers, decals, and the "fairing"... put these parts on the shelf so you can replace them when you get ready to sell.

If you plan to ride outside the US, it is a very international moto. It will burn any kind of gas you can find and doesn't really care what kind of oil you use. Kinda like a 1965 Ford PU with a 289 2 bbl in it. You'll always get there, eventually.

If you can find a '07 with low miles, might be a better deal.

The absolute best part of the whole bike is the gas tank, 5 gallons...230-240 mile range going 80 mph all day long, at least on pavement. No fuel pump to crap out either.

BTW: if the thermostat craps out, if you short out the contacts the cooling fan will run all the time which is better than overheating.

If you haven't run if for a month or so, get some Sea Foam to clean out the carb. And, finally, slime your tubes... it is a royal pain to fix flats. Mine was blue, nice color.

PS: i forgot to mention that the rear hydraulic brake hose hangs out there just waiting to get ripped off by a rock or a root, fix that real quick and get a magnetic drain plug so you can collect all the metal filings that come loose. BTW: I never messed with the doohickey, never had a problem either, mayber the dealer did it... the dealer in Tinidad is pretty cool. He also sells KTMs.
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

Buying a KLR650 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buying a KLR650   Buying a KLR650 EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 5:54 am

Is the oil consumption problem solution just a matter of replacing the piston? If that's the case, I could do that in one weekend. I haven't priced a piston, but I can't see it costing more than $100. I wouldn't go to the trouble of increasing the displacement if it's not necessary.

I know it's a heavy pig. I wouldn't be riding it in the woods. I would be using it as an adventure-tourer. Hang some big, ugly side cases off the back, and some big-ass lights on the front. It is difficult to make this bike even uglier, but I would like to try. Buying a KLR650 93746
Back to top Go down
bsheet2

bsheet2

Buying a KLR650 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buying a KLR650   Buying a KLR650 EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 1:25 pm

BuilderBob wrote:
Is the oil consumption problem solution just a matter of replacing the piston? If that's the case, I could do that in one weekend. I haven't priced a piston, but I can't see it costing more than $100. I wouldn't go to the trouble of increasing the displacement if it's not necessary.

I know it's a heavy pig. I wouldn't be riding it in the woods. I would be using it as an adventure-tourer. Hang some big, ugly side cases off the back, and some big-ass lights on the front. It is difficult to make this bike even uglier, but I would like to try. Buying a KLR650 93746

For the 685 , the cylindar has to be machined and a larger piston with better rings used. Hence going up to 685 cc. From what I ccan tell, it is a 3 fold problem or a mix of issues that causes oil usage:
1) Cylindar walls are too smooth.
2) Some cylindars were found to be out of round - warped.
3) Rings experiece fluttering at high rpm's.
How bad the oil usage is depends on the degree each bike has these three in play.

The cost is about $500 for all parts and machining if you do the wrenching yourself. There are step by step instructions with photos on how to do it.
Back to top Go down
rydnseek

rydnseek

Buying a KLR650 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buying a KLR650   Buying a KLR650 EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 2:46 pm

the klr is a great all purpose bike with a long history of doing it's job. I have several friends who ride one, & have done a lot of trips, adventures, offroad & pavement on them. It is probably better suited for long pavement than the wr250, though it can be tweaked to be better on pavement, too.

I came from a drz, which is also a well worn bike for all purpose riding. I find the wrx i have to be better for my riding, which is a lot of day rides in dirt, with a few long adventure rides throughout the year with a mix of dirt & pavement.

If i were to get a 2nd bike, i think i'd get a more pavement friendly bike like a vstrom, or some other twin. But like all things in life, if it works for you, you like it, you have the money, do it! Life is short, & sometimes the window for fun is pretty small. If i ever get dug out of this economy, i'm going to get a vstrom for some longer pavement rides, or maybe some 2up riding, if i can get my wife to ride with me.

good luck with your decision, & post some pics if you get the new ride!
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

Buying a KLR650 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buying a KLR650   Buying a KLR650 EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 6:47 pm

Thanks. I already have the super-slabber bike. The GT is great for that. I'm looking at the KLR for the occasional foray on to gravel & dirt roads while traveling.

I just finished 1,500 miles in Alaska on a V-Strom 650. Nice bike, but it isn't as competent off pavement as I would prefer. Lots of riders there had the KLR, so that's why I am looking a them.
Back to top Go down
taoshum

taoshum

Buying a KLR650 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buying a KLR650   Buying a KLR650 EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 11:06 pm

If the top end has not been fixed and you can do it, (you might just need to change the rings, you might need to bore it out to the next oversize piston), go for it. It will do what you want to do, reliably!

If you want more performance, you'll need a KTM... The Honda 650, last time I checked, didn't have electric starter. I would put in a sealed battery though.

Take it out and run it for 30 miles at 75+ mph, check the oil, you'll know immediately if it sucks oil.

If it does, fix it and you're good to go. Watch out for the sand though.
Back to top Go down
rydnseek

rydnseek

Buying a KLR650 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buying a KLR650   Buying a KLR650 EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 10:39 am

BuilderBob wrote:
Thanks. I already have the super-slabber bike. The GT is great for that. I'm looking at the KLR for the occasional foray on to gravel & dirt roads while traveling.

I just finished 1,500 miles in Alaska on a V-Strom 650. Nice bike, but it isn't as competent off pavement as I would prefer. Lots of riders there had the KLR, so that's why I am looking a them.

You didn't take the GT? How is it for gravel or mild dirt? Lots of guys ride those on big adventure rides, too.

I wasn't dissing the klr.. it is probably the best bang for buck adventure bike out there. It is quite competent. I was only dreaming of a more pavement friendly bike for myself..

The vstrom didn't work for you on the ak ride? What were the issues? I've read about many people that have set up their weestroms for adventure riding & it worked well for them.

I would probably just end up riding my wrx, anyway.. it really does it all, except for 2up riding.

That klr sounds like a good deal, & i'm sure will be a great bike. ..can't really have too many toys in the box, anyway!
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

Buying a KLR650 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buying a KLR650   Buying a KLR650 EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 6:38 pm

rydnseek wrote:
BuilderBob wrote:

You didn't take the GT? How is it for gravel or mild dirt? Lots of guys ride those on big adventure rides, too.

I wasn't dissing the klr.. it is probably the best bang for buck adventure bike out there. It is quite competent. I was only dreaming of a more pavement friendly bike for myself..

The vstrom didn't work for you on the ak ride? What were the issues? I've read about many people that have set up their weestroms for adventure riding & it worked well for them.

I would probably just end up riding my wrx, anyway.. it really does it all, except for 2up riding.

That klr sounds like a good deal, & i'm sure will be a great bike. ..can't really have too many toys in the box, anyway!

I didn't take the GT mostly because I didn't have the time to ride there from Florida. Also, it wouldn't have been good for the gravel/dirt roads that I ended up on. In fact, I would have missed a lot if I'd been on a road bike like the GT. Felt sorry for all of the Harley riders that I saw up there. They didn't see a third of what I did.

I liked the Wee-Strom. Good compromise for pavement and occasional gravel/dirt roads. If I had my way, the Strom would have about 10 more HP, more clearance and cruise control for the long stretches of asphalt. The GT has me spoiled for cruise control.

As for the KLR, well how could anyone not love a bike as downright ugly as that beast! You can kick it over, and when you pick it back up, it's still no uglier than it was before the fall! Buying a KLR650 93746
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

Buying a KLR650 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buying a KLR650   Buying a KLR650 EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 7:28 pm

taoshum wrote:
If the top end has not been fixed and you can do it, (you might just need to change the rings, you might need to bore it out to the next oversize piston), go for it. It will do what you want to do, reliably!

If you want more performance, you'll need a KTM... The Honda 650, last time I checked, didn't have electric starter. I would put in a sealed battery though.

Take it out and run it for 30 miles at 75+ mph, check the oil, you'll know immediately if it sucks oil.

If it does, fix it and you're good to go. Watch out for the sand though.

Yeah, I figure that at $2.5k, I can afford to do the piston/cylinder upgrade if I want to. Doing the big bore upgrade on the WR was good practice.

The bike is pristine, with only 3,800 miles, has many farkles already. Don't think I can go wrong.
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

Buying a KLR650 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buying a KLR650   Buying a KLR650 EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 5:45 pm

Picking it up tomorrow, and in anticipation, I have purchased stock in Shell (Rotella. I run it in all of my bikes)!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Buying a KLR650 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buying a KLR650   Buying a KLR650 Empty

Back to top Go down

Buying a KLR650
Page 1 of 1