Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Speedo reading 3x actual speed after batter change.

Go down 
+25
Biglake
waltermitty
k1322
gptech
morgan9283
Bonjur1
Ziabeam
Britt
Evol
GT-250
oic0
Snackit
66T
rvsixer
lanerider
jgia
xy500
expatbrit
Kansas Bob
IAmABug
fla2wnc
phroenips
SheWolf
Chrispy1200
nickh
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
oic0

oic0

Speedo reading 3x actual speed after batter change. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speedo reading 3x actual speed after batter change.   Speedo reading 3x actual speed after batter change. - Page 2 EmptySat May 03, 2014 10:40 pm

Just fixed my broken stator now I have this bullshit. Anyone ever figure out a fix?
Back to top Go down
GT-250

GT-250

PostSubject: Re: Speedo reading 3x actual speed after batter change.   Speedo reading 3x actual speed after batter change. - Page 2 EmptySat May 03, 2014 11:43 pm

^ There is another thread somewhere here on this site where this fault was able to be "corrected" via the 12'oclock labs unit.

Maybe do a search to find that thread.

Do you currently have a speedo correction device fitted ?

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Speedo reading 3x actual speed after batter change.   Speedo reading 3x actual speed after batter change. - Page 2 EmptySun May 04, 2014 12:13 am

I dont, but looks like I'm going to have to buy one.  
Sofar its been
$50 for chain sliders
$104 for stator
and going to be $70 for a speedo corrector.
My cheapy little bike is racking up some bills at its lowly 13k miles! Between that and the purposeful speedometer error, I might try a different brand next go around.

*edit* lots of googling and cant find any other solution so I ordered one. Also switching from KPH to MPH doesn't help.
On that note, some random information I learned tonight as I drove home. 189mph is the max the speedo goes to. In KPH mode it goes to 199.
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

PostSubject: Re: Speedo reading 3x actual speed after batter change.   Speedo reading 3x actual speed after batter change. - Page 2 EmptySun May 04, 2014 8:16 am

oic0 wrote:
Sofar its been
$50 for chain sliders
$104 for stator
My cheapy little bike is racking up some bills at its lowly 13k miles! Between that and the purposeful speedometer error, I might try a different brand next go around.

Are you seriously complaining about $224 after 13 000 miles?
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Speedo reading 3x actual speed after batter change.   Speedo reading 3x actual speed after batter change. - Page 2 EmptySun May 04, 2014 10:19 am

Evol wrote:
oic0 wrote:
Sofar its been
$50 for chain sliders
$104 for stator

Are you seriously complaining about $224 after 13 000 miles?

If I were to actually fix this speedometer issue it would cost me $300-$500. This is a bandaid. If and when I sell it I will have to say "the speedometer doesn't actually work, it needs this chip so if it spazzes out again mess with this thing". Right after I tell them "it also can't run when on the side stand, because the neutral indicator wire ran along the bottom of the motor and was ripped out by a small stick".
Anyhow, this is my commuter and ideally I would like to ride it to work every day. Its left me stranded twice and been unrideable for several long stretches. My VTX has needed approximately nothing except tires in 35k. I like my WRX, I'm just annoyed at yamaha right now for some of the design flaws.
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Speedo reading 3x actual speed after batter change.   Speedo reading 3x actual speed after batter change. - Page 2 EmptyWed May 07, 2014 7:10 pm

Snackit wrote:
Same thing after deep battery discharge.
OEM speed sensor, speedometer and ECU are expencive, and nobody knows how long it will work after replacement.
So i've bought old 3.1x SpeedoDRD Y1 and installed it.
After a couple of test runs with GPS i moved to ratio -67,2 from initial -66,7.
-67,2 is not exact too, but i specially left 1 km/h more for not been caught on speeding.
SpeedoDRD tuning is quite precise to come very close to ideal.
So it works. 
Peace YAM 
My speedometer/ECU version can not be switched between km/h and miles/h.
It does not react on long SELECT2 pressing at all.
So if you have the same issue and  speedometer/ECU version with ability to  be switched between km/h and miles/h - try to do it to fix the problem!
It looks like speed coefficient is placed in one of ECU registry blocks and long battery discharge eliminates it. While changing from km/h to miles/h and back - right coefficient could be placed in right block again.

used your same formula, worked like a charm with the latest speedoDRD
Back to top Go down
Britt

PostSubject: Re: Speedo reading 3x actual speed after batter change.   Speedo reading 3x actual speed after batter change. - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 03, 2014 11:59 am

Hi folks. I just picked up at WR and the speedo is at least 3 times too fast. Argh! Is the accepted fix to install and calibrate a SpeedoDRD? I'd prefer not to replace the display...

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Speedo reading 3x actual speed after batter change.   Speedo reading 3x actual speed after batter change. - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 03, 2014 1:37 pm

Britt wrote:
Hi folks.  I just picked up at WR and the speedo is at least 3 times too fast.  Argh!  Is the accepted fix to install and calibrate a SpeedoDRD?  I'd prefer not to replace the display...

Thanks!

I didn't want to spend the money so I searched for any possible alternative. Nope. That said, the speedo correction was worth it all on its own. I was glad I did it, it was nice knowing how fast I was going accurately after living with the guesstimate stock speedo. Does make the bike feel a lot slower seeing real numbers though lol.
Back to top Go down
Britt

PostSubject: Re: Speedo reading 3x actual speed after batter change.   Speedo reading 3x actual speed after batter change. - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 07, 2014 1:37 pm

Thanks. My SpeedoDRD came in the mail yesterday. I'll get it installed this weekend and will look forward to having an accurate speedo...
Back to top Go down
Britt

PostSubject: Re: Speedo reading 3x actual speed after batter change.   Speedo reading 3x actual speed after batter change. - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 07, 2014 9:15 pm

Found some time this evening to install my SpeedoDRD. I set it up to -67.2 as suggested above and tested it against my Garmin. At a Garmin indicated 30 MPH, my bike was showing 29 MPH. I didn't get a chance to try higher speeds but maybe this weekend....

cheers
Back to top Go down
gptech

PostSubject: Re: Speedo reading 3x actual speed after batter change.   Speedo reading 3x actual speed after batter change. - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 26, 2015 9:51 pm

Hi, new member here, I just picked a 2009 model that is near new condition showing 1000km on the odometer and I found out when I got it home that the speedo is out about 3x and the previous owner had just replaced the flat battery as it hadn't been used for a while.

Looks like the explanation above makes total sense.
I just had the alternator replaced under warranty due to the recall and the mechanic at the dealers knew nothing about the speedo problem.
Back to top Go down
gptech

PostSubject: Re: Speedo reading 3x actual speed after batter change.   Speedo reading 3x actual speed after batter change. - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 27, 2015 2:26 pm

Hi,

How many people have been affected by this speedo problem?
And what years does it happen to?
Or does it affect all years?

I spoke with Yamaha Australia and they are aware of it, and I spoke to someone in Canberra from the dept of infrastructure and they said if this problem is happening to a lot of people then they could look into it being a recall on the grounds of safety just like the stator recall for the wr250r.

The RRP on a new speedometer in Australia is $775aud.

I don't think it's right that anyone that owns this bike has to fork over such a large amount money to replace a faulty speedo due to a design fault.

I think if we get enough people to say they've had this problem then I think Yamaha will have to do something about it.

Back to top Go down
Ziabeam

Ziabeam

PostSubject: Re: Speedo reading 3x actual speed after batter change.   Speedo reading 3x actual speed after batter change. - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 27, 2015 5:09 pm

I get the impression there are enough to warrant a recall based on the number seen here. Probably a bunch to add to the list if a proper poll is started where folks can indicate theirs is affected, including the last four digits of their VIN for authenticity.  Mine has not failed BTW.

Maybe Yamaha could upgrade everyone's' our batteries so we can all go 3 times as fast... wait I obey posted limits, which means I would be reaaaaaalllllllllllly slow. Never mind.
Back to top Go down
Bonjur1

PostSubject: Re: Speedo reading 3x actual speed after batter change.   Speedo reading 3x actual speed after batter change. - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 11:30 am

I got en '08 European model and got my stator replaced after my battery run flat. New battery, no change. I corrected the shown speed with my speedohealer that I installed because of a new gearing.
Now the indication is quite accurate but there is always a "lag". It still shows 5-7km/h for a moment after stopping. Didn't do that before. I assume that it's caused by the speedohealer taking his time to calculate or the damaged sensor.

Anyway, it would be good to know if you have to replace the display, sensor or something else...
Back to top Go down
morgan9283

PostSubject: Re: Speedo reading 3x actual speed after batter change.   Speedo reading 3x actual speed after batter change. - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 28, 2015 12:13 pm

lanerider wrote:
had a flat battery over last winter and the speedo and mileage is out by 25% did any one find a cure for this problem or is it a new speedo head

Yes, see above:

jgia wrote:
Did the math and it came out to a divider of about 2.5. Went into my DRD and entered 2.5 as the divider. Went for another quick spin. Trip odometer vs GPS, both said 3.8 miles. Speedo read roughly 10% high. I still had the -15.2% correction factor programmed in from before the head unit went crazy. A little tweaking and I'll have it back to normal without having to buy a new head unit.

Hopefully this helps anyone else with this issue. cheers

-morgan
Back to top Go down
gptech

PostSubject: Re: Speedo reading 3x actual speed after batter change.   Speedo reading 3x actual speed after batter change. - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 4:55 am

Ok, just made a video of me walking my bike up and down my driveway showing the error on the speedo.
Yamaha need to do something about this in my opinion, we need everyone that has had this problem to post on this thread.
Back to top Go down
k1322

PostSubject: Re: Speedo reading 3x actual speed after batter change.   Speedo reading 3x actual speed after batter change. - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 27, 2015 1:16 pm

This is a pretty shitty issue, and a dont even dare to remove my battery for winter maintenance charge. I guess it's better to leave it in or arrange with a temporary cell to keep the backup battery charged.
Back to top Go down
waltermitty

PostSubject: Re: Speedo reading 3x actual speed after batter change.   Speedo reading 3x actual speed after batter change. - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 20, 2015 10:08 am

gptech wrote:
Ok, just made a video of me walking my bike up and down my driveway showing the error on the speedo.
Yamaha need to do something about this in my opinion, we need everyone that has had this problem to post on this thread.

My '10 did it. 12 o'clock labs Speedo healer fixed the problem.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Speedo reading 3x actual speed after batter change.   Speedo reading 3x actual speed after batter change. - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 20, 2015 2:56 pm

k1322 wrote:
This is a pretty shitty issue, and a dont even dare to remove my battery for winter maintenance charge. I guess it's better to leave it in or arrange with a temporary cell to keep the backup battery charged.

Taking the battery out for the winter wont hurt a thing.

The spedo gets screwed up and reads 3x too high when you ride around with a dead or weak battery or leave the key on for a while with a weak battery that's putting out less than 12 volts, getting less than 12 volts for a while screws it up, as long as its getting over 12 volts or no volts at all its fine. thumb
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

PostSubject: Re: Speedo reading 3x actual speed after batter change.   Speedo reading 3x actual speed after batter change. - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 20, 2015 3:18 pm

Biglake wrote:
The spedo gets screwed up and reads 3x too high when you ride around with a dead or weak battery or leave the key on for a while with a weak battery that's putting out less than 12 volts, getting less than 12 volts for a while screws it up, as long as its getting over 12 volts or no volts at all its fine. thumb

Good to know (and makes sense).
Back to top Go down
thelandman

PostSubject: Re: Speedo reading 3x actual speed after batter change.   Speedo reading 3x actual speed after batter change. - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 08, 2016 6:31 pm

Left my key in the "on" position accidently today. Battery was dead. Push started it..cranked right up, then noticed I was doing 160mph @ an est 60mph. A speedo healer or an aftermarket dash set-up????
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Speedo reading 3x actual speed after batter change.   Speedo reading 3x actual speed after batter change. - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 27, 2016 9:51 am

Checking in with a '15. Speedo is out of wack.
Got the stator recall done. Rode the bike home from the dealership, everything was fine.. Get home, park the bike in my garage. Done.
Fast foward about 2 weeks, im getting ready to go out for a ride. I turn the ignition on but dont start the bike. From that point I knew something was up because the fuel pump is not as loud/ powerful as it usually is. So I try to start it and nothing, except a weird buzzing sound that came from the front of the bike. I pulled out my multimeter and alas, the battery was below 12V. So I disconnect both the + and - posts from the battery and charge it to 12.6V. Go to start the bike again and it fired right up. I thought everything was good until I saw the speedo jumping all over the place without me even moving. Sitting there scratching my head, i thought the computer just needs to reset/recalibrate so I decide to continue on with my ride. After a couple miles, there was still no improvement so i decide to try shutting the bike with the key and let it sit for a while in hopes it would reset something. Still nothing.
So, after sifting through info on the web, i finally come across this post and its all starting to make sense. Yamaha has created a product that is bound to have problems.

Now, this is where I have a problem. I am financing the bike through the dealership and I also purchased the 5 year extended warranty. The thing I am worried about is the fact that I have a few electrical mods installed on the bike, some that were done before the stator recall and one that I did just the other night. When I had brought the bike in for the recall I had the acerbis vision handguards that have integrated LED lights that I wired directly to the battery (there is a switch installed on my handlebars so I can turn them on/off), and the yoshimura fender eliminator kit, which is plug and play, no splicing required.
Those things I am not too worried about, its the 12oclock labs Gear Position Indicator that im sure alot of you on the forums are familar with that has me concerned ( which I couldnt even program correctly, possibly due to the fact that the speedo is broken, but thats a whole 'nother story). If you are familiar with the GPI, then you know that you need to make 4 wire taps using the supplied connectors. While your not actually cutting any wires, you are still modifying the factory wiring which has me worried.
My question is this, should I try the 12oclocklabs speedo healer in hopes that it will even fix my problem, or do I strip the bike down to stock and bring it to the dealership, in hopes that they wont say anything about all the modifications i have done and honor the warranty. My problem with the latter of the two options is that if they somehow do cover it under warranty, they will just install a new head ubit that is destined to have the same fate as the broken one thats on the bike now.
I dont even know what to do at this point. To be honest, im actually thinking about just living with it, even though I know it will annoy me to no end.
So what are your thoughts?

Back to top Go down
thelandman

PostSubject: Re: Speedo reading 3x actual speed after batter change.   Speedo reading 3x actual speed after batter change. - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 11:29 am

DRD and a gps solved my issue. Speedo dead on now.
Back to top Go down
dallard2

PostSubject: Re: Speedo reading 3x actual speed after batter change.   Speedo reading 3x actual speed after batter change. - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 24, 2016 12:59 pm

And what about the odometer? The speedo healer will correct the speed, but i doubt it will bring back the odometer to the good numbers?
Back to top Go down
MCon401

PostSubject: Re: Speedo reading 3x actual speed after batter change.   Speedo reading 3x actual speed after batter change. - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 06, 2016 10:10 am

hello, I just encountered this same problem with the speedo and odometer on my 08 wr250x. Took my bike to local Yamaha dealer, they couldn't figure it out and called Yamaha. Yamaha said it must be a bad ECU, so I bought a used replacement and that didn't fix it. If I buy a new display/meter (part#3D7-83500-51-00) will that fix the speedo and odometer? Wanted to ask here before I spend $265 for the new part. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Speedo reading 3x actual speed after batter change.   Speedo reading 3x actual speed after batter change. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Speedo reading 3x actual speed after batter change.
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next