Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

55w HID? *edit, Installed, Pics*

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
oic0

oic0

55w HID? *edit, Installed, Pics* Empty
PostSubject: 55w HID? *edit, Installed, Pics*   55w HID? *edit, Installed, Pics* EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 2:26 pm

I'm wanting to get the 55w HID kit for my bike but I keep reading about how HIDs need the proper reflector to not blind folks. It does me no good to be extra visible if I blind folks causing them to run in to me lol, so a couple questions. Can our lights be properly aimed to be safe? if so, does that make the brights worthless? Also, I really dont ride at night, are bright HID high beams hurtful in the daylight to other drivers?

Last edited by oic0 on Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
galland1

galland1

PostSubject: Re: 55w HID? *edit, Installed, Pics*   55w HID? *edit, Installed, Pics* EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 2:39 pm

If you get a good HID bulb it will work OK with the OE reflector. I have a 55w on my WR and my FZ6. It does not bother drivers in my experience in the daylight, but they definitely "see" you. That said a projector is by far the best.

Here is the one I use. I have the 5000k and am happy with them.

http://www.retrosolutionsllc.com/servlet/the-312/DIGITAL-HID-XENON-CONVERSION/Detail
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: 55w HID? *edit, Installed, Pics*   55w HID? *edit, Installed, Pics* EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 3:10 pm

I ordered a 5000k DDM kit. Went ahead with the 5000K because I don't want to draw attention to my self. Even if they decide the blue isn't ticket worthy, they might decide to give me a ticket for my exhaust while they have me lol.
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: 55w HID? *edit, Installed, Pics*   55w HID? *edit, Installed, Pics* EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 5:36 pm

Got it. The "motorcycle kit" has short wires that are supposed to run to my battery. Yeah right. WTF.
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: 55w HID? *edit, Installed, Pics*   55w HID? *edit, Installed, Pics* EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 11:18 pm

Thought I would add this

55w HID? *edit, Installed, Pics* 154hpol
Low Beam
55w HID? *edit, Installed, Pics* 2mxocv7
High Beam
55w HID? *edit, Installed, Pics* Dhbki8
Back to top Go down
bobbytohn

bobbytohn

PostSubject: Re: 55w HID? *edit, Installed, Pics*   55w HID? *edit, Installed, Pics* EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 12:32 am

how do you like you headlight?
was it worth the $$$?
what knid of kit (Bulb Type,Color Choice,Ballast Type) did you get?
and how did you install go?
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: 55w HID? *edit, Installed, Pics*   55w HID? *edit, Installed, Pics* EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 5:45 pm

I like the light Ok, install was a pain though and there is barely enough room behind the shroud to hold the ballast and starter. I am still trying to work out a long term placement so it wont get fatigued from wiggling around. They are all just sort of stuffed behind there now.

At night, you can see very well with the bright, but the low is poor because of how low I had to aim it to prevent blinding other drivers. Other issue is its so bright that it makes retroreflective traffic signs bright enough that they ruin some of your night vision. On the plus side, you can see off to the sides real well with the brights on so you would be able to spot deer etc... The stock bulb with brights seemed to be a bit of a tunnel vision effect, shooting straight forward and actually a bit dimmer than the lows.

The main reason I bought it though was to make my self more visible during the day. If it stops just a few dummies from pulling out in front of me, it was worth it. I'll never know if its working or not though. For $60 shipped though, its worth a shot. Its a DDM kit with a 5000k hi/lo bulb. The hi/lo version includes a shroud that stops a lot of the side splash and stops most of the light that shines upward. When you hit the high button it pulls the bulb back a bit with a solenoid, then it the upward shining part of the beam is no longer being blocked by the shroud. Basically the beam pattern looks the same as the stock only with some random scatter here and there outside the normal beam.
Back to top Go down
bobbytohn

bobbytohn

PostSubject: Re: 55w HID? *edit, Installed, Pics*   55w HID? *edit, Installed, Pics* EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 9:31 pm

60 bucks??? the link above is showing 130 buck?
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: 55w HID? *edit, Installed, Pics*   55w HID? *edit, Installed, Pics* EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 11:22 pm

I didn't get that one, I got one from ddm tuning. It was like 55 plus shipping for a motorcycle hi/lo kit with the appropriate bulb.

Another note though, someone on thumpertalk said his eroded his reflector material. I wasn't worried about that since I'm hoping to shoehorn a projector with an angel eye in there when I get some cash. I think angel eyes on cars look cheesy, but bikes are a different story :)
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

PostSubject: Re: 55w HID? *edit, Installed, Pics*   55w HID? *edit, Installed, Pics* EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 4:03 pm

Thread revival.

I bought an HID kit at the recommendation of my coworkers for the sake of visibility to other drivers.

I was blown away when I opened the package and half a mile of wiring came out... How are you folks routing all the wiring? Where are you securing all these boxes?

I attempted to install it just now, but I don't have a weekend to get it wired up; I have to get to work. At this point it looks like I'll need to strip the bike down, splice in extra wire to locate stuff where it will be out of the way, and take a week off from work.

Who has pics of their install?
Back to top Go down
mix123

PostSubject: Re: 55w HID? *edit, Installed, Pics*   55w HID? *edit, Installed, Pics* EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 4:37 pm

Are there moto kits and car kits? One with shorter wiring than the other? I have installed them in cars and there is a shitload of wire that comes with them. So maybe there's moto ones with less wire?
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: 55w HID? *edit, Installed, Pics*   55w HID? *edit, Installed, Pics* EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 5:35 pm

Mine has the little boxes. I taped both of them together and just stuck em in some open space behind the headlight. They seem to stay put. Mine came with an extra wire to run the other side as if it were a car. I just cut that one off. The rest of the wiring I zip tied into a bundle and stuffed behind there too. There is hardly any space left back there.

The only difference I could ascertain between the moto one and the normal one was I only get one starter and one power convertor box thingy instead of one for each side. Also, It included the compact versions that cost more but are the only way you are fitting it behind the headlight.

Issues with it: It doesn't light up 100% of the time when I start the bike. Sometimes i have to turn it off and turn it back on. About 1/4 cold starts it fails. Never fails when the bike is warm. Also, if I ride fast off road over harsh surfaces that pound the bike, sometimes the high beam will stop working since it requires actual movement and can stick. I can smack the light a few times and work the switch to fix it usually.
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

PostSubject: Re: 55w HID? *edit, Installed, Pics*   55w HID? *edit, Installed, Pics* EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 6:41 pm

I too got the DDM kit that had the extra wiring for the second side, despite ordering one that was listed for a motorcycle with one headlight.

Rather than have things loose and bouncing around behind the headlight I think I'm going to take my time, extend the wires, and tuck everything away neatly. I just won't be able to get to it until some time in March.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 55w HID? *edit, Installed, Pics*   55w HID? *edit, Installed, Pics* Empty

Back to top Go down

55w HID? *edit, Installed, Pics*
Page 1 of 1